Coach Alastair Clarkson III - new NMFC senior coach until at least end 2027 - NMFC board approved AC to start 1/11 amid ongoing HFC racism investigation

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read the whole article, it went way, way further than a suggestion in a meeting. There's absolutely no way this could be interpreted as "trying to help." This was an instance of people in positions of power abusing that power to cut young men off from their support networks. It's cultlike grooming behaviour that put the success of the organisation before the basic rights and wellbeing of players, that took advantage of people's precarious financial situations and vulnerabilities to exercise a greater degree of control over them. That Hawthorn did this as an organisation is beyond damning, and everyone involved should be out of the industry for good.
Haven't read it yet :( very distressing for the people. Not just the hawks players, not just the AFL. Society as a whole. It's 2022. This stuff was supposed to be abolished after the 90s.

There have been rumblings and rumours for years that Hawthorn had an unstated policy of not recruiting aboriginal players. Only changed this century

Don't think its a rumour

Yep, reading between the lines a bit here, but the way Gill is talking now, it sounds almost certain that North will announce that Clarkson will be stepping down as senior coach for the duration of the AFL's investigation, and that will be announced later today.
It will be Hawthorn announcing Clarkson's stepping down as he is still contracted to Hawthorn.

North will have to delay employment date from 1 November, to indefinitely if sustained. I am flabbergasted and heartbroken for First Nations.

"Former Hawks staffer Fagan has been devastated and blindsided by the allegations and he has told he has no knowledge of the meetings that have been alleged by former Hawthorn indigenous players." - Jon Ralph.
That's a pretty emphatic denial.

I've got no idea where the truth lies.

I thought it was funny that he was responding like this will all blow over soon.

It's possible to acknowledge the seriousness of allegations while not wetting the bed about it to make yourself seem empathetic on an online forum. At the end of the day, all parties actually involved will never, ever give a s**t that I typed "lol" in a post. Come on bloke.

Fair enough.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

are you ******* serious? if clarko says this and we back him as a club, then I'm done. He absolutely cannot claim to have been unaware, he was central in all of the accusations.
innocent til proven guilty

not the other way around

If Clarko does stand down/ is stood down pending the investigation, where does that leave our club?

Do we have to wait for the findings of the investigation before making a final call.

If we wait, where does that leave list management decisions? Will a caretaker be appointed in the interim.

Or do we preempt the findings and deem his position untentable regardless of the findings? If so, what happens to his multi million dollar contract?

Do we need to go down the path of finding a new coach again?

What does it mean from a list management perspective given trade period is a week away.

So many questions..

Ps- i dont mean to play down the allegations. Purely discussing things from a NM perspective..
The answers is we are farrrked!

I tried to bump the the new nmfc coach thread? I think we need to get the discussion going again. It’s clear we will have to pick a new coach for season 23.
Did I jinx us with suggesting we start the "bye bye clarkson thread" even before his appointment was announced?

If Clarko does stand down/ is stood down pending the investigation, where does that leave our club?

Do we have to wait for the findings of the investigation before making a final call.

If we wait, where does that leave list management decisions? Will a caretaker be appointed in the interim.

Or do we preempt the findings and deem his position untentable regardless of the findings? If so, what happens to his multi million dollar contract?

What does it mean from a list management perspective given trade period is a week away.

So many questions..

Ps- i dont mean to play down the allegations. Purely discussing things from a NM perspective..
imagine we stand him down, pay him out, lose a heap of players on the list and players asking to be traded to north...and then it's found next week clarko had no role in all this.

we f***ked the club for another decade, but hey, at least we looked virtuous for a few days.

edit: in b4 "how dare you play down these accusations" - i did nothing of the sort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is absolutely no ******* way that this has been aired with the primary intention of sabotaging us. Pull your head in
I don't agree. If Hawthorn had an ounce of respect for the bloke that got them 4 premierships, they might have given his a call to warn him that his integrity was going to come under intense public scrutiny. Hawthorn and the AFL have been sitting on this for months. Clarkeson would not have applied for the North job.

So many questions..

Then the AFL should give us everything we ask for and not scraps from the table. If they thought are situation was not that bad what do they think now ?

No there is no concrete proof of anything. Its just allegations by anonymous people. Just 3 people named. The coaches at the time.

Its not adding up to me.
Are you familiar with Australia’s discrimination laws? With the previous work of this journalist? With the news organisation that’s published it? With the history of powerful institutions and their treatment of Aboriginal people?

Notwithstanding your (and some others) frankly abhorrent instinct to disbelieve victims, sadly there is no way there isn’t something to this.

imagine we stand him down, pay him out, lose a heap of players on the list and players asking to be traded to north...and then it's found next week clarko had no role in all this.

we f***ked the club for another decade, but hey, at least we looked virtuous for a few days.

edit: in b4 "how dare you play down these accusations" - i did nothing of the sort.
He can't be in a senior coach role while there's an investigation ongoing into his conduct as a mentor, wether guilty or not.

AFL do not want North to be successful though. Timing of all this stinks to high heaven.

I’m so saddened if the allegations are true and also absolutely deflated and devastated as a north supporter. Why wait this long and allow Clarko to coach the hawks for years, have a break, go to a new club and then decide to now bring this up. Was the afl sitting on this? Someone has been sitting on it for so long because this situation is awful enough to not be swept under the rug for so long.

Was so excited for what’s to come. This has destroyed that.

******'* over it.

Don't think there is anything in the timing to screw us H. You think Gil and his mates wanted it 3 days before a Grand Final ? I very much doubt it.

Hawthorn were handed the report 2 weeks ago. We appointed Clarkson August 19, a month ago.

Fair chance we have been blindsided by these findings as an organisation.
Mav makes a good point though. People in the industry would have been aware of this Hawthorn investigation being in progress for some time. It would be a standard question to ask any person being interviewed for consideration of a high profile role to probe them as to whether there are any skeletons in the closet - any issues that they might have that are not public knowledge which would cause them or the employer embarrassment if revealed?

The candidate might not state the specifics, but might quietly withdraw or decline the role if so.

In this situation I would also expect the investigative journalist to have raised questions to North Melbourne officials and even to Clarkson himself over the past few days. It would be very unlikely that they didn't. Brisbane as well.

are you ******* serious? if clarko says this and we back him as a club, then I'm done. He absolutely cannot claim to have been unaware, he was central in all of the accusations.
If he doesn't say this and rolls over then I'm done with this club.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

When im reading more than a few clubs with lolnorf guys having sympathy for us... I tend to agree

No lolnorf today, guys.

Heart breaking day for indigenous people, North and for the game in general.

So, so saddened by it all :'(

That article is traumatic reading.

You probably don't need reminding, but North Melbourne is innocent in all of this.
I reckon all football supporters are with you today.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back