Coach Alastair Clarkson III - new NMFC senior coach until at least end 2027 - NMFC board approved AC to start 1/11 amid ongoing HFC racism investigation

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Story corrections happen now and again, many organisation do those. This is more than a correction though and is far rarer.
Happens reasonably often.
Tho it does seem quite rare that they put out something like this when it isn’t in response to News Corp editorialising, lol.

Thank you. Yes I had seen that interview though the question I was responding to was specifically about how our indigenous boys were feeling.

There has been speculation / reports specifically mentioning that, though I haven't seen anything from the club about our players etc.

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Seriously - just f..k off.

"While Russell Jackson’s story reports on the existence of the external review commissioned by Hawthorn, and some allegations made within it, his story was not based on that review and does not quote its contents."

"Not based on that review" Hmm, let's see:

Headline:” Hawthorn racism review to allege that former coaches separated First Nations players from families and demanded a pregnancy termination"

First paragraph starts: "An external review commissioned by the Hawthorn Football Club will reveal allegations..."

Second paragraph starts: "The review document, handed to Hawthorn's senior management two weeks ago and now with the AFL integrity unit, will allege that..."

Third paragraph starts: "It is believed the review was similar..."

Fourth paragraph starts: "According to the families of three players interviewed by ABC Sport, the incidents at the centre of the review..."

Fifth paragraph starts: "Hawthorn had more than 20 First Nations players in the period of the review."

There follows very similar (the same?) stories as detailed in the review, presumably sourced separately.

So still a lot of unanswered questions on the reporting side:
  • if the story is not based on the review why is the headline and the first five paragraphs describing the review?

• Why, in all the references to the review, did you not mention that its terms of reference did not include investigation into facts, incidents or individuals and that its methodology was based on non-critical listening? Do you think that omission could mislead readers into believing the accusations had been tested and/or could be substantiated with other evidence?

• Why did you not report that the review recommended reparations to the identified individuals based only on their stories? Do you think that omission could have hidden from readers a potential important interest of the ex-players?

• Did you share the identities of the three players with the accused? If so, why did Gil McLachlan not even know their names? If not, how can you say you shared 'all relevant information'?

• Did the accused have permission from the ex-players to reveal their confidential and personal information to a journalist? If not, how were they intended to respond?

• Did you do any investigation as to the truth of the allegations? Or are you prepared to publish unverified allegations?

Last edited:
You cant just label the treatment as racist because it happened to an indigenous person/s.

There needs to be some kind established fact that the treatment occurred specifically due to the players being indigenous.

If Clarkson, Fagan etc were these evil racist then it would be safe to say that every indigenous player on the Hawthorn list would be subjected to the same treatment.

I will give you an example. If I call an indigenous man a dickhead, does that make me racist because he was indigenous?

If I only called indigenous men dickheads then yes it’s safe to say I would be racist, but for all anyone knows I might be calling that person a dickhead based on their actions and nothing to do with their race.

Do you not find it hard to comprehend that Clarkson also had great relationships with indigenous players on the Hawthorn list, yet they are trying to paint him as a racist? I would have thought a racist person would treat all indigenous players poorly, not just a few?

It’s the whole Adam Goodes debate all over again really. He claimed people were booing him because he was aboriginal, yet the real question I ask is, maybe they were booing Adam Goodes the person and not Adam Goodes because he was aboriginal.

People seem very quick to play the racism card without any context or proof of motivation behind the behaviour.

Saying that every indigenous player would have experienced it if there was racial motivation is completely simplifying what racism is.

If the coaches decided that they needed to separate players from their partners and/or discuss terminations because of a pre-conceived view that an indigenous person wasn't equipped or responsible enough to raise a child and also stay focused on football, or that indigenous partners would cause issues, then that is racist. That doesn't mean they hate indigenous people - them being indigenous might only be one of a number of factors - it just means they have formed a negative judgement based in part on a player's background and let it impact their treatment of them.

It's pretty easy to understand why racism can exist and that it also doesn't have to apply to every person of colour to be valid.

"While Russell Jackson’s story reports on the existence of the external review commissioned by Hawthorn, and some allegations made within it, his story was not based on that review and does not quote its contents."

"Not based on that review" Hmm, let's see:

Headline: "Hawthorn racism review to allege that former coaches separated First Nations players from families and demanded a pregnancy termination"

First paragraph starts: "An external review commissioned by the Hawthorn Football Club will reveal allegations..."

Second paragraph starts: "The review document, handed to Hawthorn's senior management two weeks ago and now with the AFL integrity unit, will allege that..."

Third paragraph starts: "It is believed the review was similar..."

Fourth paragraph starts: "According to the families of three players interviewed by ABC Sport, the incidents at the centre of the review..."

Fifth paragraph starts: "Hawthorn had more than 20 First Nations players in the period of the review."

There follows very similar (the same?) stories as detailed in the review, presumably sourced separately.

So still a lot of unanswered questions on the reporting side:
  • if the story is not based on the review why is the headline and the first five paragraphs describing the review?

• Why, in all the references to the review, did you not mention that its terms of reference did not include investigation into facts, incidents or individuals and that it's methodology was based on non-critical listening? Do you think that omission could mislead readers into believing the accusations had been tested and/or could be substantiated with other evidence?

• Why did you not report that the review recommended reparations to the identified individuals based only on their stories? Do you think that omission could have hidden from readers a potential important interest of the ex-players?

• Did you share the identities of the three players with the accused? If so, why did Gil McLachlan not even know their names. If not, how can you say you shared 'all relevant information'?

• Did the accused have permission from the ex-players to reveal their confidential and personal information to a journalist? If not, how were they able to respond?

• Did you do any investigation as to the truth of the allegations? Or are you prepared to publish unverified allegations?
can i just say ive appreciated your posts all throughout this thread and i hope clarkos people are as competent as you.

Saying that every indigenous player would have experienced it if there was racial motivation is completely simplifying what racism is.

If the coaches decided that they needed to separate players from their partners and/or discuss terminations because of a pre-conceived view that an indigenous person wasn't equipped or responsible enough to raise a child and also stay focused on football, or that indigenous partners would cause issues, then that is racist. That doesn't mean they hate indigenous people - them being indigenous might only be one of a number of factors - it just means they have formed a negative judgement based in part on a player's background and let it impact their treatment of them.

It's pretty easy to understand why racism can exist and that it also doesn't have to apply to every person of colour to be valid.
You are actually proving my point. You need proof the motivation and actions were based on the person being indigenous. Calling it racist behaviour because it happened to an indigenous person is actually the simplification here.

For all we know any advice or action might have been based purely on the circumstances of that particular individual, nothing to do with race.

I think it’s been pointed out that other indigenous players on the list had partners and had children. If it was purely racially motivated behaviour based on the view that indigenous people then why weren’t other indigenous players subjected to the same treatment?

It’s very easy for people to throw around accusations of racist behaviour, just look at Russell Jackson. But has he even gone to any lengths to prove if these allegations are true that they weren’t based on the individual and their circumstances and not the race of the individual?

It you are proving my point. You need to know that the motivations were based on the person being indigenous.

For all we know any advice or action might have been based purely on the circumstances of that particular individual.

I'm not saying they were or weren't racist (or if they even occurred - no one here knows that), I was responding to your lazy "why didn't all the indigenous players get mistreated if it was racism?" argument.

I'm not saying they were or weren't racist (or if they even occurred - no one here knows that), I was responding to your lazy "why didn't all the indigenous players get mistreated if it was racism?" argument.
It’s not lazy at all. For the behaviour to be labeled racist, you need to show a pattern or bias against people of a particular race. No one has proven beyond a doubt, that if true, these actions were based on racial motivations. Everyone playing the racist card has also glossed over the fact that many non-aboriginal players have also been asked to review their relationships outside of football in the interests of getting the best out of themselves as an athlete.

Then why are you getting up in arms about everything if you don’t know anything? You are very aggressive on this issue for someone that just said you don’t know if they are racist or not or even if the allegations are true?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why should it be affecting our season? Even alleged criminals can be out on bail and living normal working lives until their court appearance. Clarko has not committed any crime. He is entitled to keep his job until he’s found guilty. His contract starting date is November 1, and given he’s completely denying any wrongdoing and the fact this will take ages to resolve, it makes sense that he starts his contract and cooperates with the enquiry when called upon

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
you tell that to the international human rights court in The Hague

I actually don't see how. Sheeds is the exact type to take everyone else down with him if they try to force him out.
I kind of get the feeling that he's trying to bring the whole place down so that once they've ceased to exist, his legacy as their last ever premiership/finals winning coach will be cemented for eternity.

He just strikes me as that sort of egotistical campaigner.

I kind of get the feeling that he's trying to bring the whole place down so that once they've ceased to exist, his legacy as their last ever premiership/finals winning coach will be cemented for eternity.

He just strikes me as that sort of egotistical campaigner.
Have him and Kennett done ancestry.com I’d be shocked if they weren’t related

My expectation...

The outgoing AFL Operations Manager Mr Brad Scott has announced severe penalties will be imposed on North Melbourne football club for their role in the Hawthorn racism scandal. The kangaroos will be forced to give up pick 1 for the upcoming draft, with a mandatory trade being imposed that requires them to accept a future second round pick from Essendon in return. The kangaroos will no longer be allowed to use the term "shinboner" and all home games will be played at 4:40 on Sundays for the next three seasons. Mr Scott also said that these matches will not be broadcast live but instead they will be replayed on 7 Mate, delayed by 12 hours, with James Brayshaw and Brian Taylor doing commentary. Caroline Wilson will conduct all post match press conferences. She will not require the presence of club personnel at these post match sessions.

My expectation...

The outgoing AFL Operations Manager Mr Brad Scott has announced severe penalties will be imposed on North Melbourne football club for their role in the Hawthorn racism scandal. The kangaroos will be forced to give up pick 1 for the upcoming draft, with a mandatory trade being imposed that requires them to accept a future second round pick from Essendon in return. The kangaroos will no longer be allowed to use the term "shinboner" and all home games will be played at 4:40 on Sundays for the next three seasons. Mr Scott also said that these matches will not be broadcast live but instead they will be replayed on 7 Mate, delayed by 12 hours, with James Brayshaw and Brian Taylor doing commentary. Caroline Wilson will conduct all post match press conferences. She will not require the presence of club personnel at these post match sessions.
Caro…topless

Happens reasonably often.
Tho it does seem quite rare that they put out something like this when it isn’t in response to News Corp editorialising, lol.
I can't wait to see Paul Barry smugly cocking an eyebrow over this on Media Watch next Monday.

Caro…topless
team america vomit GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back