Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

In all my time coaching, two critical priorities always preceded the investment in football: your health and your family.

Ten weeks ago I came to the realisation I needed to be genuine to myself, my family and my football club and acknowledge those priorities were not being met. As a result, I needed to remove myself from the football treadmill.

Now that I’m back, my gratitude is extended to those key stakeholders of the North Melbourne Football Club who became privy to my circumstances, and who demonstrated such empathy, compassion, support and patience.

Sonja, Jen and Todd, alongside our club and supporters, all bunkered down and put in place two significant processes. The first one was to elevate Brett Ratten to deputise in my absence, and the other was to ensure I had the best possible chance of returning to good health.

Ratts’ most endearing feature has always been his sacrifice for others. Once again, he stepped forward in difficult circumstances and maintained morale and spirit within the club. Caryn and I both know the challenges Ratts and Jo have had to endure, and we were mindful of adding another challenge in dealing with our own needs. We cannot thank them enough for allowing us the time to get our lives back into perspective.

The time away from the club has been difficult but imperative. Stepping aside was challenging, isolating, confronting and even a little embarrassing. I’ve now come to realise that nothing is embarrassing when it comes to addressing your physical and mental wellbeing.

Caryn and I were getting warning signals regarding my physical and mental wellbeing on numerous occasions, and May 17 was the day of realisation that I could only invest in my family, my club and my community if I got myself back to full health.

With the help of Dr David Cahill, Dr Peter Parker and Professor Steve Davis, we have put in place strategies that have been pivotal to my progress, and these are ongoing needs I endeavour to address moving forward.

Ironically, returning to coaching our club is a very important part of that process.

The North Melbourne Football Club has confronted many hurdles in its existence. Our members and supporters have consistently maintained faith in tough times and found a way to rise above these challenges.

As a teenager, North Melbourne was there for me through adversity, where John Kennedy snr, Denis Pagan, Laurie Dwyer, Greg Miller and Ron Joseph gave me hope, ambition and optimism.

That care has been extended to me again in these past three months and I am forever grateful for the unwavering support I have received from North Melbourne, my family and friends.

I’ve watched closely how Ratts and the boys have fared in recent weeks. Although the wins haven’t been forthcoming, we’ve taken steps forward in a number of areas. I‘m really looking forward to coming back in and building on the work the players and the footy department have done in my absence.

Clarko
And let’s be thankful a certain Dr from another Club wasn’t analysing Big Als situation. “Your all fine mate nothing to worry about”

‘Although the wins haven’t been forthcoming, we’ve taken steps forward in a number of areas.’

Well, they’re certainly not areas that will be leading to wins anytime soon. Someone posted previously that the club believes there are KPI’s that we’ve improved on. Seems like they’re created to justify rhetoric.

The lack of system, both offensively and defensively, is glaring.

‘Although the wins haven’t been forthcoming, we’ve taken steps forward in a number of areas.’

Well, they’re certainly not areas that will be leading to wins anytime soon. Someone posted previously that the club believes there are KPI’s that we’ve improved on. Seems like they’re created to justify rhetoric.

We have been in games more unlike last year where we were getting belted each week.
4 games lost under 10pts

Still so much to work on and major list changes.
Hoping 2024 we finally see some light at the end of the tunnel.

A positive post once in a while would be nice

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have no players who are intrinsically motivated.

It’s why they temporarily respond as a group when they get a bake.

After that wears off, back in to their shells they go.
This is problematic with having to pay 100% salary cap.

If your players simply arent worth it then you shouldn’t have to pay them top dollar

ALASTAIR Clarkson admits standing aside as North Melbourne coach was difficult and "a little embarrassing" but the extended break has helped regain his mental and physical health.

Ahead of his return to the coaching box this Sunday, Clarkson has addressed in-depth the decision that shocked the football world.

On May 18, the 55-year-old announced he was indefinitely taking a break from the Kangaroos due to the mental strain of the Hawthorn racism saga.

NEWS
'He just needs time': North confident Clarkson will return

The AFL has since announced no adverse findings against Clarkson, Chris Fagan or Jason Burt over the historical racism allegations at the Hawks.

Clarkson, Fagan and Burt all vehemently denied any wrongdoing.

NEWS
'Imperfect resolution' as Hawks probe ends, no one charged

The four-time Hawthorn premiership coach has taken back the Kangaroos coaching reins from interim mentor Brett Ratten ahead of this week's clash with Melbourne.

"The time away from the club has been difficult but imperative," Clarkson wrote in a letter to members on Tuesday.

09NMPA23DB0954.jpg

Brett Ratten and Alastair Clarkson at North Melbourne training, May 13, 2023. Picture: AFL Photos
"Stepping aside was challenging, isolating, confronting and even a little embarrassing.

"I've now come to realise that nothing is embarrassing when it comes to addressing your physical and mental wellbeing."

Clarkson has expressed gratitude for all the support he received from the club and other key people during his time away from Arden St.

"Ten weeks ago I came to the realisation I needed to be genuine to myself, my family and my football club and acknowledge those priorities were not
"As a result, I needed to remove myself from the football treadmill.

"(Wife) Caryn and I were getting warning signals regarding my physical and mental wellbeing on numerous occasions, and May 17 was the day of realisation that I could only invest in my family, my club and my community if I got myself back to full health.

"With the help of Dr David Cahill, Dr Peter Parker and Professor Steve Davis, we have put in place strategies that have been pivotal to my progress, and these are ongoing needs I endeavour to address moving forward.

"Ironically, returning to coaching our club is a very important part of that process.

07MeNM23QR952342762.JPG

Alastair Clarkson looks on during the round seven match between Melbourne and North Melbourne at the MCG, April 29, 2023. Picture: Getty Images
"The North Melbourne Football Club has confronted many hurdles in its existence. Our members and supporters have consistently maintained faith in tough times and found a way to rise above these challenges.

"That care has been extended to me again in these past three months and I am forever grateful for the unwavering support I have received from North Melbourne, my family and friends."

Clarkson will front a press conference at Arden St on Friday ahead of North's game against the Demons.

The game against Melbourne will coincide with Clarkson's 400th game as AFL coach - the first person to achieve that feat since Leigh Matthews in 2006.

We’ve lost 17 straight.

Positivity isn’t a thing.
My positives in a yes a difficult season. Harry and Georges form and extending their contracts. Larky penning a 5 year deal. LDU growth into an elite mid. Coop Harvey playing his 1st game Sure we have lost 17 in a row but there are always positives to come from the season if you look for them.

This is problematic with having to pay 100% salary cap.

If your players simply arent worth it then you shouldn’t have to pay them top dollar
Correct.

There should be no minimum.

If you want to pay your players SFA, then you won’t retain them. But you shouldn’t be forced to pay a minimum.

My positives in a yes a difficult season. Harry and Georges form and extending their contracts. Larky penning a 5 year deal. LDU growth into an elite mid. Coop Harvey playing his 1st game Sure we have lost 17 in a row but there are always positives to come from the season if you look for them.
Mate I applaud those who always try and see the lighter side of things but we lost a game of footy to a bunch of basket cases 48 hours ago. The body is still warm.
There may be upside, but right now the club is embarrassed, ashamed and at its lowest ebb. Lets not hold eachothers dicks just yet and start singing ring-a-ring-a-rosie. People are angry and have every right to be.

Mate I applaud those who always try and see the lighter side of things but we lost a game of footy to a bunch of basket cases 48 hours ago. The body is still warm.
There may be upside, but right now the club is embarrassed, ashamed and at its lowest ebb. Lets not hold eachothers dicks just yet and start singing ring-a-ring-a-rosie. People are angry and have every right to be.

I read this and immediately thought of that Muslamic Ray Guns song.

Just drove past Arden St and they were training. Is this normal on a Tuesday night? Hope Clarko is flogging the **** out of them, but maybe it’s what they usually do?

There is angry and then down disrespecful and there is a big difference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back