Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Does everyone here remember the game against Geelong in 2016? I feel like that was the exact moment the downward spiral started to land us where we are now.

We started well that night, leading at half time I believe. But we copped about 4 injuries in the first half. Swallow got concussed, Cunnington got a corkie, Dal Santo some sort of injury. Dangerfield had a billion touches.

I just remember knowing our season was done because of the carnage.
2016 was such a strange season
Went 10-0 then fell off the cliff rapidly and only limped into finals.

Vividly.

Unpopular opinion though - that 2016 run of wins masked some shocking form (in the latter part) and we had opportunities post Geelong to regroup and get back in contention. But the fight leaked out of the group like a deflating football.

Our 2nd game against a depleted dogs side is where you could probably drop a pin and say "there it is". Except for a tease in 2018 and the Shaw sugar hit wins in 2019 we've largely been a crumpled shell ever since.
The tease in 2018 was because Jacobs and W80 were fit. Then Robbo concussed Ben and save for the Shaw motivating us to play like animals for 6 weeks and we belted campaigners left right and centre, we ran out of steam and missed finals (kicked 1 goal against Geelong and I knew right there and then Shaw wouldnt make it).

The tease in 2018 was because Jacobs and W80 were fit. Then Robbo concussed Ben and save for the Shaw motivating us to play like animals for 6 weeks and we belted campaigners left right and centre, we ran out of steam and missed finals (kicked 1 goal against Geelong and I knew right there and then Shaw wouldnt make it).
Then completely and utterly belted Poort the next week.

The team may have been physical and on a sugar hit, but it was still choosing when to play well. Nothing has changed.

Then completely and utterly belted Poort the next week.

The team may have been physical and on a sugar hit, but it was still choosing when to play well. Nothing has changed.
There’s a few on here whose last win was still against Port in 2019. Goldi went nuts and Brown kicked 10.

Listening to Boomer on RSN this morning- said Clarko has come back with plenty of new ideas and the boy's will be in for a very big pre season in training these new ideas.
Mentioned too later in the year to try and do this late in the year. Said the club made a presentation to Ratts as a token of their appreciation for him stepping up.

Listening to Boomer on RSN this morning- said Clarko has come back with plenty of new ideas and the boy's will be in for a very big pre season in training these new ideas.
Mentioned too later in the year to try and do this late in the year. Said the club made a presentation to Ratts as a token of their appreciation for him stepping up.
While Ratten gave the players a presentation for stepping down while he coached them.
It’s ashame Brett didn’t get any wins while he coached us as he deserved some, how you say, nourishment.

Last edited:
The players certainly presented Ratts with something in the 3rd qtr last week. Might be hard to frame though.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Link? :)

Very good to hear!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of many that night, still filthy about that and the '94 prelim!

Margetts had the perfect view. Mother****er. Simply chose not to pay it.
I don't wish ill will on many people but f*** that campaigner. If his mum if she is still around f*** her too. And his dad.

Parasites

Vividly.

Unpopular opinion though - that 2016 run of wins masked some shocking form (in the latter part) and we had opportunities post Geelong to regroup and get back in contention. But the fight leaked out of the group like a deflating football.

Our 2nd game against a depleted dogs side is where you could probably drop a pin and say "there it is". Except for a tease in 2018 and the Shaw sugar hit wins in 2019 we've largely been a crumpled shell ever since.

Even at 9-0 we weren't highly rated - think we were still 3rd or 4th or on the flag odds despite being 2 games clear on top. And for good reason.

Most of those 9 wins the opposition were close and controlled large portions of the game and being an old side we relied on bursts rather than consistency. The * game was really reflective of this. This was the year they fielded their VFL side and we led by 50 points in the 3rd quarter only to completely take the foot off and only eek out a 14 point win. Have never been so disgusted with win.

That was for me personally the game I knew we weren't up to it.

Not just the performance of Wardlaw in that game but that match as a whole is what gives me hope at the moment. That was the best we've played in the last 3-4 years IMO, considering the opposition and where they are in their development. The first 15-20 minutes aside, we went with them punch for punch and should have won in the end. I look at that game, think of a few personell changes that we are going to make over summer, coupled with another preaseason to a few talented young kids and I can see us winning these types of games next year more often than not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back