Alex Condon (Future Cat B Candidate?)

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d imagine it’d be a tonne easier finishing your qualification at the institution and country you started at?

Rather than having to faff around with credits and going backwards?

I get that many American Uni sports scholarships are scams and the studies aren’t real. If that’s the case then fair enough.

But if he’s been putting in any modicum of effort into his studies, and if he’s enjoying his time in Florida, then he’s way way better off finishing them.

Footy can wait. It’ll still be here when he finishes.
Footy has a very limited life span and there will be issues with conversion whether he finishes there or not

Footy has a very limited life span …

Exactly.

Which the reason why it’d be a good idea for him to finish his studies first.

… and there will be issues with conversion whether he finishes there or not

Depends on the qualification. I can’t see it being an issue for the social studies course he’s doing.

I’d imagine it’d be a tonne easier finishing your qualification at the institution and country you started at?

I get that many American Uni sports scholarships are scams and the studies aren’t real. If that’s the case then fair enough.

But if he’s been putting in any modicum of effort into his studies, and if he’s enjoying his time in Florida, then he’s way way better off finishing them.

From an Australian university perspective, he probably hasn't even really started his degree. Most Yank degrees have a bogus first year of generalism before the degree really starts. So his 4 year degree in the states is most likely a 3 year one in Aust.

At the end of his second year, he'll have credits that he will be able to transfer across pretty easily, and will be in-line to finish in Australia with the same number of years of study as he'd have in the States. But he'd probably go part-time if on an AFL list and would get the degree before his AFL career finished - assuming he got 4 years on our list - very likely for a cat b kid with his background.

No real university reason to stay in the States - unless he has a massive paperwork phobia.

80c788e4640c6cedd6d2b3ad8545d752.jpg

Are you sure he's not in Perth?
A couple of those trees in the background have the Spanish Moss drooping from them - a tell-tale sign the pic was indeed taken in the Deep South USA.

Exactly.

Depends on the qualification. I can’t see it being an issue for the social studies course he’s doing.
It is why it is a poor idea to sit out to do some US uni course when you can literally go to uni while playing in the AFL and earn great money. All his time in college he is one serious injury away from losing his scholarship and not getting an AFL deal.

It is still a net loss. Will make 100k in his first year in the AFL so if he waits to years to graduate he will be down 200k and still looking at a post graduate in Aus
There is more to it than dollars and cents - don't underestimate the attractiveness of playing high level college basketball which might even include fun things like flying private jets to games. Woohoo! If/when he arrives at Collingwood, he will be looking at inferior training facilities, etc. Being a big star at Florida State would be fun too. Then there is also the pro basketball dream, etc.

But if you want to go down the path of numbers, you probably should get it right. As soon as he signs on now as a Cat B rookie with us, he starts to earn a minimum of $60kp.a., albeit copping tax at an expat rate. Also gets free room and board at college whilst he gets his free degree. Might even be making a few shekels on the NIL side in the States.

It is why it is a poor idea to sit out to do some US uni course when you can literally go to uni while playing in the AFL and earn great money. All his time in college he is one serious injury away from losing his scholarship and not getting an AFL deal.

Mason Cox has done all right? Finished his degree before his AFL career (albeit different circumstances) . He’a having a very lucrative AFL career. And when it’s all over he’ll have his qualification to immediately fall back on.

Sure, he won’t get a graduate gig like what he was offered at Exxon Mobil, but he’ll get looked after.

I’m sure he’s desperate to finish that super useful social studies degree rather than pursuing a career as a professional sportsman, which has a limited window, as soon as he possibly can 🙄

Exactly.

Because uni won’t be there after he’s finished his sporting career? Your argument here is ludicrous, reducing the time you have to pursue a career that has a limited window to finish a degree that will still be available for you to do after you’ve finished your sporting career, or even during it, is asinine.

Because uni won’t be there after he’s finished his sporting career? Your argument here is ludicrous, reducing the time you have to pursue a career that has a limited window to finish a degree that will still be available for you to do after you’ve finished your sporting career is asinine.

Or better still can be finished during a sporting career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because uni won’t be there after he’s finished his sporting career? Your argument here is ludicrous, reducing the time you have to pursue a career that has a limited window to finish a degree that will still be available for you to do after you’ve finished your sporting career, or even during it, is asinine.
This. Badly do your knee or back playing college and your scholarship is pulled and you then have no option of the AFL and have to fund the rest of your degree.

The extension of your argument is that he should cease his time at Florida and arrive in Melbourne in November to start per-season - to make the most of his chances at footy. There is more to it than the studies angle. Looks like Condon wants to fully explore his basketball opportunities first.

C’mon, I’m not suggesting he wait around to publish his post doc. Just suggesting he finish the undergrad degree he started. It’s infinitely easier for him to finish it now compared with doing it at the end of his career.

Waiting a year to start footy is nothing. You reckon it makes a material difference whether a ruckman starts their footy career at 21 versus 22?

In years to come when he looks back on his life, what do you reckon the chances are that he’d be thinking “Gee, Florida was a waste of time, I wish I’d started at Collingwood a year earlier!”? Zero I would have thought.

The extension of your argument is that he should cease his time at Florida and arrive in Melbourne in November to start per-season - to make the most of his chances at footy. There is more to it than the studies angle. Looks like Condon wants to fully explore his basketball opportunities first.
The basketball opportunities are an extension of his sporting career, which is the phrase I’ve been intentionally been using as opposed to AFL career.
If we can be real for a moment here, the entire reason Alex is in the US is to try to make it in to the NBA, not to study a social sciences degree. However long he chooses to pursue said career is up to him and it makes sense for him to stay as long as that dream is alive.
If it turns out that dream isn’t going to become a reality, it’s pretty clear that his second choice is to try to make a career for himself in the AFL, given he’s already made the commitment to Collingwood to sign as a cat B rookie. In the scenario that he gives up on the NBA, the idea that he should delay coming back to Australia to pursue that in order to finish a degree in America that he can easily do in Australia while playing as a pro footy player is idiotic. The longer he’s out of the system the harder it becomes to make a career of it, and there’s a limited window for that opportunity.

C’mon, I’m not suggesting he wait around to publish his post doc. Just suggesting he finish the undergrad degree he started. It’s infinitely easier for him to finish it now compared with doing it at the end of his career.

Waiting a year to start footy is nothing. You reckon it makes a material difference whether a ruckman starts their footy career at 21 versus 22?

In years to come when he looks back on his life, what do you reckon the chances are that he’d be thinking “Gee, Florida was a waste of time, I wish I’d started at Collingwood a year earlier!”? Zero I would have thought.
Your argument is literally that he should delay his career because it would make finishing his relatively useless degree slightly easier. It’s asinine.

The basketball opportunities are an extension of his sporting career, which is the phrase I’ve been intentionally been using as opposed to AFL career.
If we can be real for a moment here, the entire reason Alex is in the US is to try to make it in to the NBA, not to study a social sciences degree. However long he chooses to pursue said career is up to him and it makes sense for him to stay as long as that dream is alive.
If it turns out that dream isn’t going to become a reality, it’s pretty clear that his second choice is to try to make a career for himself in the AFL, given he’s already made the commitment to Collingwood to sign as a cat B rookie. In the scenario that he gives up on the NBA, the idea that he should delay coming back to Australia to pursue that in order to finish a degree in America that he can easily do in Australia while playing as a pro footy player is idiotic. The longer he’s out of the system the harder it becomes to make a career of it, and there’s a limited window for that opportunity.
Not sure it's pretty clear it's a case of "NBA or, if not, AFL" - he may well look at other options around basketball. Other professional leagues - or just complete the full college bball experience(nothing to do with getting a degree). Maybe the kid just prefers basketball?

Taking the complete opposite view, all Condon does by signing a Cat B contract is get free money for doing what he is already doing. I'd take that if I never had any intention of playing footy.

To me there's two main reasons he'd stay in the States:

a) potential for a basketball career
b) he's having a ball

Neither degree related, as it's not a big deal to transfer credits between recognised Western Universities.

To me there's two main reasons he'd stay in the States:

a) potential for a basketball career
b) he's having a ball

Neither degree related, as it's not a big deal to transfer credits between recognised Western Universities.
And being surrounded by sportspeople who consider it very normal to go the full college experience before turning pro. Even when dollars are available right now. Luke Clanton being a very pointed example(although he is probably on a very lucrative NIL deal - still far less than he could be earning on Tour).

Remove this Banner Ad

Alex Condon (Future Cat B Candidate?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back