Alex Condon (Future Cat B Candidate?)

Remove this Banner Ad

That seems generous as well. I’m a Rockets man and didn’t really think there was much we could do with our pick. Don’t get me wrong Sheppard projects well, but with Green and Thompson already on the roster we’ve probably drafted a bench player at 3…

On Condon I don’t think he makes it at the top level considering he’ll now be battling it out for the 5 spot with Rioux at the Gators. Considering the way the games going with the marginalisation of the 5 he needs to be a special shooter from here.

sr36 agree with your Steele take. For context he’d be the equivalent of Gazey, IMO.

Gaze made NBA (just). As much as I love Steele, that's pretty complimentary. Gaze was Australia's best basketballer over a pretty long time frame and was a genuine star at international level. I'd suggest that comparatively, he was a fair bit better at basketball than Sidey has been at footy.

Gaze made NBA (just). As much as I love Steele, that's pretty complimentary. Gaze was Australia's best basketballer over a pretty long time frame and was a genuine star at international level. I'd suggest that comparatively, he was a fair bit better at basketball than Sidey has been at footy.
I might differ slightly, but I get your angle unlike others.

Imagine if you got drafted by Collingwood the team you’ve barracked for your whole life and then got on traded to Carlton 😂
gun-to-my-head-gun-to-head.gif

Back to the actual thread topic. Should we or Alex sign him when his eligible and “stash” him in college basketball until he’s finished his degree?
Seems that would be smart by him, giving himself two clear options going forward. If basketball doesn’t pan out he’s got us. Seems that’s what he’s planning but does he sign asap or wait?

Back to the actual thread topic. Should we or Alex sign him when his eligible and “stash” him in college basketball until he’s finished his degree?
Seems that would be smart by him, giving himself two clear options going forward. If basketball doesn’t pan out he’s got us. Seems that’s what he’s planning but does he sign asap or wait?
I think if the feedback he gets is that the NBA is unlikely for him he’ll probably head straight back to start with the pies. There’s a very limited window to make a career in professional sport, and Alex is already behind the 8 ball in terms of AFL now he’s been out of the system for 3 years.

From the way his manager was talking about talks ramping up with the pies, I’d say it’s more likely than not he’s back in oz doing a preseason with us by the end of the year.

That seems generous as well. I’m a Rockets man and didn’t really think there was much we could do with our pick. Don’t get me wrong Sheppard projects well, but with Green and Thompson already on the roster we’ve probably drafted a bench player at 3…

On Condon I don’t think he makes it at the top level considering he’ll now be battling it out for the 5 spot with Rioux at the Gators. Considering the way the games going with the marginalisation of the 5 he needs to be a special shooter from here.

sr36 agree with your Steele take. For context he’d be the equivalent of Gazey, IMO.

A fellow rockets man, love to see it, not many of us around!!
Once I saw Hakeem The Dream as a kid I was sold as you can tell from my profile pic.
Selfishly hope Condon just gets to the pies asap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think if the feedback he gets is that the NBA is unlikely for him he’ll probably head straight back to start with the pies. There’s a very limited window to make a career in professional sport, and Alex is already behind the 8 ball in terms of AFL now he’s been out of the system for 3 years.

From the way his manager was talking about talks ramping up with the pies, I’d say it’s more likely than not he’s back in oz doing a preseason with us by the end of the year.
Alex Condon would likely have gone between 8 and 25 in the 2022 AFL draft and potentially higher. At 212 cm he would have unlikely played AFL yet given Oscar Steene was same draft.
I'd actually say he may be better off playing Basketball as a lead in then Aussie rules as his body develops.
We dont waste him on our list for 2 years instead we get him year 3 as a freebie for 3 years when he will be more ready as he has grown further into his body.

Alex Condon would likely have gone between 8 and 25 in the 2022 AFL draft and potentially higher. At 212 cm he would have unlikely played AFL yet given Oscar Steene was same draft.
Outside of height, what on earth has Steene, a completely overlooked prospect who was picked up last minute through the supplementary system got to do with Condon? Surely you’re not suggesting a player who would likely have been selected early/mid first round would be on the same development curve as Steene?
I'd actually say he may be better off playing Basketball as a lead in then Aussie rules as his body develops.
We dont waste him on our list for 2 years instead we get him year 3 as a freebie for 3 years when he will be more ready as he has grown further into his body.
2 years of pure football development in an AFL environment is not to be sniffed at. In those two years he’d have also been working on an AFL ready body rather than a basketball body. I think you’re severely underestimating the development time for our sport he’ll have lost in the past few years.

Outside of height, what on earth has Steene, a completely overlooked prospect who was picked up last minute through the supplementary system got to do with Condon? Surely you’re not suggesting a player who would likely have been selected early/mid first round would be on the same development curve as Steene?
Last Season he Clunked some very Strong Contested Marks up Forward

For up to 3 Years Condon would not Officially be on the List.

Look what happened with Tom Wilson

Last Season he Clunked some very Strong Contested Marks up Forward

For up to 3 Years Condon would not Officially be on the List.

Look what happened with Tom Wilson
Yes Dave I’m aware of that. He’ll have been out of the system for 3 years come October, he made the decision to concentrate on basketball at the end of his bottom age year.

Wilson was rated around the 30’s if I recall correctly, and didn’t have the physical attributes that Condon has. Not sure he’s a relevant comparison either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 years of pure football development in an AFL environment is not to be sniffed at. In those two years he’d have also been working on an AFL ready body rather than a basketball body. I think you’re severely underestimating the development time for our sport he’ll have lost in the past few years.
Agree, however that means that he would have been in the draft and we probably wouldn't have had the chance to pick him up.

Agree, however that means that he would have been in the draft and we probably wouldn't have had the chance to pick him up.
Oh 100%. But the discussion was revolving around the fact that he has a limited window and has already missed nearly 3 years of development. If he genuinely wants a crack at the AFL and thinks the NBA is unlikely, he needs to get back asap.

You can study part time while playing AFL and getting paid. Stupid to sit out

Yes Dave I’m aware of that. He’ll have been out of the system for 3 years come October, he made the decision to concentrate on basketball at the end of his bottom age year.

Wilson was rated around the 30’s if I recall correctly, and didn’t have the physical attributes that Condon has. Not sure he’s a relevant comparison either.
Wilson would have been awesome if he was 7 feet tall

The other argument being 3 years out is Wil Parker. He would be playing this week for Noble if not injured and he looks a player I am not sure much has been lost with his development as I dont think much will be lost with Condon's development.
Saying that I get the argument.

However I think certain players need the time. Will Sutherland could be a gun key position player but I think for him to succeed he would need that 2-3 years VFL game time.

Come on Alex, give the baskets away and nominate us as your club of choice (I think his 3 years are up now) .
He’s already nominated us, just need him to come home.

Remove this Banner Ad

Alex Condon (Future Cat B Candidate?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back