Alex Condon (Future Cat B Candidate?)

Remove this Banner Ad

And being surrounded by sportspeople who consider it very normal to go the full college experience before turning pro. Even when dollars are available right now. Luke Clanton being a very pointed example(although he is probably on a very lucrative NIL deal - still far less than he could be earning on Tour).
I hope he comes to Pies and becomes a star, but the belief that it's unlikely that an 18 year old would change his career aspirations from NBA or AFL only to include other options seems a bit presumptious to me. He'll meet women who may make him re-consider how long he stays in the States pursuing a basketball dream. He'll meet basketballers who had a fabulous time in European leagues. **** knows where he'll end up. But it is good signs for us that he still sounds really keen on AFL if NBA doesn't come to be.

All this speculation is great, but listening to someone talk about him that’s actually discussed his future with people at the club it’s a matter of when not if he returns. My guess is he’s back around May/ June next year post the college season.

All this speculation is great, but listening to someone talk about him that’s actually discussed his future with people at the club it’s a matter of when not if he returns. My guess is he’s back around May/ June next year post the college season.
Yeah, I reckon he gets it one more year and if there is no inkling he is a draft chance, he'll come back home. Imagine your odds lower the more years in the college system.

I’d imagine it’d be a tonne easier finishing your qualification at the institution and country you started at?

Rather than having to faff around with credits and going backwards?

I get that many American Uni sports scholarships are scams and the studies aren’t real. If that’s the case then fair enough.

But if he’s been putting in any modicum of effort into his studies, and if he’s enjoying his time in Florida, then he’s way way better off finishing them.

Footy can wait. It’ll still be here when he finishes.
He’s not going to stay in the USA just to finish off a degree he can easily finish at home. I’m sure he’s capable enough to go though that process.

Footy can’t wait. He won’t delay it a minute longer than he needs to once he makes that decision, or more to the point once the NBA makes the decision for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think that's right. Think if you declare for the draft whilst in college prior to your senior year, you give up your college eligibility.
Thats true. If you nominate for the draft (you would be told you have a decent chance) you can't go back to college, even if you go undrafted

And being surrounded by sportspeople who consider it very normal to go the full college experience before turning pro. Even when dollars are available right now. Luke Clanton being a very pointed example(although he is probably on a very lucrative NIL deal - still far less than he could be earning on Tour).
Most players dumb college as soon as they can get picked up

Don't think that's right. Think if you declare for the draft whilst in college prior to your senior year, you give up your college eligibility.
Not to put words in Jen’s mouth, but I think she was suggesting that if you aren’t drafted as a freshman or sophomore your likelihood of being drafted drops with each college season you play. At least that was how I interpreted it rather than declaring. Zach Edey is the only recent case I can think of where a senior has secured a contract in the NBA as a senior. Donovan Clingan on the other hand was a sophomore same as Condon this year and that’s like comparing Naicos and Dib in 2021 in terms of how far Condon is behind Clingan.

Not to put words in Jen’s mouth, but I think she was suggesting that if you aren’t drafted as a freshman or sophomore your likelihood of being drafted drops with each college season you play. At least that was how I interpreted it rather than declaring. Zach Edey is the only recent case I can think of where a senior has secured a contract in the NBA as a senior. Donovan Clingan on the other hand was a sophomore same as Condon this year and that’s like comparing Naicos and Dib in 2021 in terms of how far Condon is behind Clingan.
Thats exactly what I meant. I assume the odds decrease with each passing season in college. Given how little spots available and you'd have to really stand out, given there are always new and young players making an impression.

Your argument is literally that he should delay his career because it would make finishing his relatively useless degree slightly easier. It’s asinine.

If by “useless degree” you mean he’s got one of those sports scholarships that mean he doesn’t have to attend any classes - yeah, I agree. And I’ve pointed that out. But didn’t they get clamped down on at one stage a few years back?

But if it’s not that, then an education is an education. And he’s training in a high performance environment.

What’s the rush? It’s not as if we’re screaming out for yet another 21 yo ruckman to run around the VFL?

So I’ve being reading the recent posts and correct me if I’m wrong but nothing has changed and this is just 3 extra pages of speculation?

Let the guy finish college and see if he can make millions sitting on the bench at an NBA team. If there’s zero interest because he’s not good enough the pies here he comes. He’s actually been very smart, he’s got two sporting career opportunities while getting a degree and only playing one of the sports.

I loved college myself, I would definitely finish it in the US. He’s a college athlete, you don’t think he’s having the best time ever. Footy can wait being young at college with the perks is not. Go forth young man and do what you’re supposed to do in college.

The only thing that might bring him back early is living in America especially Florida, 🤮

They've changed the rules. They can now go back and play college if undrafted - but there's a fair few ifs they have to have met to be able to go back to college - essentially they have to have been a really strong draft candidate with good reason to think they were going to be drafted.

From Gettable:

"Just the one the pies can lock in, Alex Condon who the pies have been courting for a couple years now has committed to signing with the club as a cat b rookie. As of this week he is eligible to be signed.
Very talented basketballer now playing in Florida.
I don't expect him to be officially signed until later this year.
He's committed, he'll play out this season with florida and wait and hopes for his nba prospects go but he's the ultimate unwrapped christmas present."

So I’ve being reading the recent posts and correct me if I’m wrong but nothing has changed and this is just 3 extra pages of speculation?

Let the guy finish college and see if he can make millions sitting on the bench at an NBA team. If there’s zero interest because he’s not good enough the pies here he comes. He’s actually been very smart, he’s got two sporting career opportunities while getting a degree and only playing one of the sports.

I loved college myself, I would definitely finish it in the US. He’s a college athlete, you don’t think he’s having the best time ever. Footy can wait being young at college with the perks is not. Go forth young man and do what you’re supposed to do in college.

The only thing that might bring him back early is living in America especially Florida, 🤮

Yeah, each to their own and good luck whatever he does, but I'd see out college if I was him. It's not like he'll be blowing an AFL opportunity. A 210 cm 22 year old category b who was a rated junior isn't going to find it hard to get on a list. And whether he gets on that list at 22 or 20 probably makes little difference regarding whether or not he has a career in the sport.

From Gettable:

"Just the one the pies can lock in, Alex Condon who the pies have been courting for a couple years now has committed to signing with the club as a cat b rookie. As of this week he is eligible to be signed.
Very talented basketballer now playing in Florida.
I don't expect him to be officially signed until later this year.
He's committed, he'll play out this season with florida and wait and hopes for his nba prospects go but he's the ultimate unwrapped christmas present."

Was there actually any new development here - or did time just click over to him becoming eligible and thus a story came out about it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Alex Condon (Future Cat B Candidate?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back