All Australian - 40 man squad on page 89

Remove this Banner Ad

Stanton's had a fair past 3 weeks, but they haven't been AA quality.

Still in due to his first 7 or 8 for mine. Needs to lift though to keep spot.

Waters Glass M. Johnson
Birchall Richards Shaw
Deledio Watson Stanton
Ablett T. Walker Sidebottom
Jetta Franklin Cox

Maric Pendlebury S. Thompson
Dangerfield Cotchin J. Selwood J.P. Kennedy

This is my AA team for the moment, break down of:

Adelaide: 3, Brisbane: 0, Carlton: 0, Collingwood: 3, Essendon: 2, Fremantle: 1, Geelong: 1, Gold Coast: 1, GWS: 0, Hawthorn: 2, Melbourne: 0, North Melbourne: 0, Port Adelaide: 0, Richmond: 3, St. Kilda: 0, Sydney: 3, West Coast: 3, Western Bulldogs: 0

Very close and unlucky: S. Jacobs, Reilly, Rutten, Betts, Swan, Ryder, McPharlin, T. Lonergan, T. Hawkins, S. Johnson, Lewis, Mitchell, Rioli, Roughead, A. Swallow, Surjan, J. Riewoldt, Rance, N. Riewoldt, Hayes, S. Selwood, Boyd, Griffen

The bolded players being the closest to enter my team.

I want to update my team every Sunday hopefully, I hope I haven't missed any obvious ones

People proving again that they pay no attention to defenders.

Frawley, Rance, Richards, Rutten and McPharlin have been consistently dominant against the best power forwards and yet people name them in a pocket behind Glass who isn't a full- back and plays either loose or on the 2nd or 3rd tall?

Frawley has had an immeasurably underrated season at full- back for Melbourne. Ofcourse the selectors will pay no attention because he plays for the league's worst club. Dont know what more Rutten and McPharlin have to do to get the kudos they deserve. Rutten has continued his brilliant form from a year ago and if McPharlin continues to play at this level and is robbed of a key defensive spot in the AA team again, particularly by his WA counterpart who isn't a full- back and continues to garner credit for a role he doesn't play, it'll be pretty devestating.

Rance and Richards have been the most noticeable.

Very suprised more people haven't mentioned D. Fletcher. He, Scarlett and Glass play a very similar role and Fletch has been the best of them all year.

:confused:

People proving again that they pay no attention to defenders.

Frawley, Rance, Richards, Rutten and McPharlin have been consistently dominant against the best power forwards and yet people name them in a pocket behind Glass who isn't a full- back and plays either loose or on the 2nd or 3rd tall?

Frawley has had an immeasurably underrated season at full- back for Melbourne. Ofcourse the selectors will pay no attention because he plays for the league's worst club. Dont know what more Rutten and McPharlin have to do to get the kudos they deserve. Rutten has continued his brilliant form from a year ago and if McPharlin continues to play at this level and is robbed of a key defensive spot in the AA team again, particularly by his WA counterpart who isn't a full- back and continues to garner credit for a role he doesn't play, it'll be pretty devestating.

Rance and Richards have been the most noticeable.

:confused:

Frawley beat Cloke today while still under an injury cloud, was walking with a moonboot only 10 days ago. Pretty solid effort with all the action that backline has.

Team form should be ignored. Normally the good players come from the good teams, that's why they are good teams, but there are still worthy players in the bottom half of the ladder.

Agree with LLH, Glass love went slightly overboard last year (admitted I probably underrated him) but this year it's ridiculous imo. Waters easily the best defender for the Eagles this year. From what I've seen Mackenzie has been better than Glass as well, but I've missed 2 or 3 games of the Eagles this year. Maybe Glass was BOG in all 3 but still not seeing an AA season from him.

Fletcher falls into the same category. Certainly rate them over time, both would be in the top 5 defenders I've ever seen but reputations playing a part as well. Same with Spud's Golden Fist award on 'After the Bounce'. Just keeps giving votes to the big name players.

Rating defenders is the hardest because you can't judge them on stats, so the only way is to watch them. Midfielders and forwards you can get away with talking crap and selecting based on stats, or nearly get away with it. Defenders, picking blindly.

Team form should be ignored. Normally the good players come from the good teams, that's why they are good teams, but there are still worthy players in the bottom half of the ladder.

Agree with LLH, Glass love went slightly overboard last year (admitted I'm probably underrated him) but this year it's ridiculous imo. Waters easily the best defender for the Eagles this year. From what I've seen Mackenzie has been better than Glass as well, but I've missed 2 or 3 games of the Eagles this year. Maybe Glass was BOG in all 3 but still not seeing an AA season from him.

Fletcher falls into the same category. Certainly rate them over time, both would be in the top 5 defenders I've ever seen but reputations playing a part as well. Same with Spud's Golden Fist award on 'After the Bounce'. Just keeps giving votes to the big name players.

Rating defenders is the hardest because you can't judge them on stats, so the only way is to watch them. Midfielders and forwards you can get away with talking crap and selecting based on stats, or nearly get away with it. Defenders, picking blindly.

I think that Fletch has been overrated the past 3-4 years. I think with his age, everytime he does something good defensively, or has a milsetone game or plays well the media seem to harp on it for a month. However, this year I think he has been genuinely very, very good. Having his best year in a long time.

B: Waters - Richards - Surjan
HB: Deledio - Rance - Johnson

I'd go something like that. Only watching 3-4 matches per week now, so not saying this with a lot of confidence. Waters and Richards easy picks imo. Rance has had a couple of tough games, most defenders do but of the other key defenders he has stood out the most. Surjan and Johnson keep motoring along, might be more worthy players but most weeks they seem to be in the best players.

Aware Deledio is a full time mid now but mids rotate through flanks, so to fit better players in, I'll chuck Deledio on a flank. Just like I'd put mids on the HF flanks.

Quick ones I picked

FF: T. Walker - L.Franklin - L.Jetta
HF: P.Dangerfield - N.Riewoldt - D.Beams
C: T. Cotchin - S.Pendlebury - B.Stanton
HB: B.Deledio - L.McPharlin - B.Waters
FB: A.Rance - D.Glass - T.Richards
Foll: I.Maric - J.Selwood- J.Watson
Int: S.Thompson - J.P.Kennedy - G.Ablett - M.Clark

Guys like Stanton would be on the bubble right now and could be replaced by players like Swan by the end of the year however.

I agree. Clark would also make a deadly full-forward but I guess Franklin's 13 goals against a pretty weak defense has consolidated his spot in the AA team

This post is another example of Franklin being so harshly judged. I guess his 4.4 on the weekend is just a poor game and the only time he plays well is when he kicks 8+ goals.

Clark has been great but you seriously have no idea if you think he has been better than Franklin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any team lacking Dane Swan simply won't happen.

Will be interesting to see how it shapes up.

Pies have a fair few midfield maestros that can very easily make up a big chunk of the squad i..e Pendles, Swan, Sidebottom and Beams.

Richards, Rance, H.Shaw
Deledio, McPharlin, Johnson
Stanton, Watson-C, Ablett
Dangerfield, Franklin, Swan
Jetta, Walker, Roughead
Ryder, Thompson, Pendlebury
Maric, Selwood, Hayes, Cotchin

Boyd, Beams, Kennedy, Sidebottom,Waterse, Riewoldt, Naitanui-all narrowly miss out

not sure on Ryder, but he had a great start and I'm unable to think of a ruckman who has hae a consistent good year

Any team lacking Dane Swan simply won't happen.

Will be interesting to see how it shapes up.

Pies have a fair few midfield maestros that can very easily make up a big chunk of the squad i..e Pendles, Swan, Sidebottom and Beams.

IMO they will all make it. People like to think or hope ladder position doesn't matter but it does. Not to say all or most you named wouldn't deserve it. Just tips a 50/50 decision in their favour.

This post is another example of Franklin being so harshly judged. I guess his 4.4 on the weekend is just a poor game and the only time he plays well is when he kicks 8+ goals.

Clark has been great but you seriously have no idea if you think he has been better than Franklin.

don't miss-quote me thanks. I never said Clark was the better player but in season 2012 he has had 13 touches per game along with 5 marks (2 contested) and kicked 25 goals and he has also had to play periods of every match as the ruckman.

Franklin has had 19 touches per game, 6 marks (2 contested) and kicked 38 goals. but obviously his 13 goals the previous week was out of the blue and won't come close to doing so again. So if you were to exclude that match and give him his average of 3 goals...he's really only doing marginally better than Clark.

Need to say that the bulk of Franklin's goals have come against Collingwood who had no one in RD1, St Kilda, Port & North Melbourne.

Clark has kicked goals against quality opposition like Geelong, West Coast and again today against Collingwood who had their defenders in.

don't miss-quote me thanks. I never said Clark was the better player but in season 2012 he has had 13 touches per game along with 5 marks (2 contested) and kicked 25 goals and he has also had to play periods of every match as the ruckman.

Franklin has had 19 touches per game, 6 marks (2 contested) and kicked 38 goals. but obviously his 13 goals the previous week was out of the blue and won't come close to doing so again. So if you were to exclude that match and give him his average of 3 goals...he's really only doing marginally better than Clark.

Need to say that the bulk of Franklin's goals have come against Collingwood who had no one in RD1, St Kilda, Port & North Melbourne.

Clark has kicked goals against quality opposition like Geelong, West Coast and again today against Collingwood who had their defenders in.
lolwut

More scoring shots than any other player in the competition by an incredibly significant margin. If he converted at the same rate as Chris Mayne this year he would nearly be at his century.

Agree with LLH, Glass love went slightly overboard last year (admitted I probably underrated him) but this year it's ridiculous imo. Waters easily the best defender for the Eagles this year. From what I've seen Mackenzie has been better than Glass as well, but I've missed 2 or 3 games of the Eagles this year. Maybe Glass was BOG in all 3 but still not seeing an AA season from him.

Just on this, the role Glass plays has changed; he no longer plays on the main forward, and didn't last year either. I certainly wouldn't have him as the FB in my AA squad. He does, however, perform his new role on the second-best forward very well, and I would place him highly in the list of best-performed Eagles for the season to date. He should at least come into consideration for the squad, as he is rarely beaten, but it should probably be in one of the back pockets if he does get a spot

If he converted at the same rate as Chris Mayne this year he would nearly be at his century.

If?

The problem with Essendon supporters is that Franklin has shafted your mob every time he plays against you so of course you have a melt down when someone's opinion is about other forwards other than Franklin.

Cloke has also been superb in 2012 but his last 3 weeks have been rather dire, it's funny how people forget within the space of a fortnight as Franklin was copping it from everyone until he turned it around against an inept North Melbourne team that have given up for the year after RD 6.

I know Glass doesn't take the best anymore but it's almost like a handicap system then. He is the best performed second tall, so therefore he is AA? Shouldn't be imo. Just pick the 6 best players with a mix of talls and smalls. Ideally the 3 talls would all be no.1 key defenders imo, they have the hardest roles and should be rated higher, so McPharlin, Rance, Richards, Frawley, Rutten, Longeran etc.

Unless a 3rd/2nd tall is also dominating on the rebound and setting up player (like a Sam Fisher, Matthew Scarlett (recently)), then that's fine. I think Johnson has been doing that this year, but more than happy to swap in someone like McPharlin if he has been better. Glass doesn't really do much rebounding, so he is getting AA simply for shutting down a 2nd stringer, when there are numerous others guys performing just as well but on the dominant forward.

I've harped on about this for a while but the selectors shouldn't be too worried about selecting based on each individual position. Just pick the best players and chuck them in so that it forms some resemblance of a team. Rance and Richards are my two picks for the key posts, but some might say "Rance isn't a CHB, he's a FB", that's going way overboard.

If?

The problem with Essendon supporters is that Franklin has shafted your mob every time he plays against you so of course you have a melt down when someone's opinion is about other forwards other than Franklin.

Cloke has also been superb in 2012 but his last 3 weeks have been rather dire, it's funny how people forget within the space of a fortnight as Franklin was copping it from everyone until he turned it around against an inept North Melbourne team that have given up for the year after RD 6.
Incorrect, I am one of Franklins biggest fans. I love watching him play and make sure to watch every Hawks game.

Cloke has not had a superb season. Last year, was a superb season for Cloke. Last year Cloke was kicking big bags and destroying teams. This season has been a solid season for Cloke. He has the best hands in the game so its no surprise that he is leading the competition in contested marks once more.

This season is an average season for Franklin, yet still better than every other forward. The fact is, Franklin is so far ahead of every other forward in the game its not funny. He leads the comp in goals, behinds, marks inside 50, goal assists, score involvements, tackles more than any of the other top fifteen goal kickers bar Cyril. I'd like to see Cloke kick 13.4 against North Melbourne.

Travis Cloke is 5th in marks inside 50, 12th for tackles out of the top 15 goal scorers, and doesn't even feature when discussing goal assists. He also averages 5 disposals a game less than Buddy even though he is more your traditional CHF and plays further out from goal.

Franklin has more behinds than Cloke has goals and behinds combined.

Dont get me wrong, Cloke is a superstar and probably had a better 2011 season than Buddy, but this year Buddy has been superior to him, even if you discount the stats from the game with 13 goals.

Um okay lol.

No Keeffe or Reid.

First game back from Tazza and second game back for Nate Brown.

Good game by Clark no doubt but that comment of yours was pretty silly.

Surely Beams would have to be close. Been a gun of a player since Luke went down. As like every year the midfield group that are picked is gonna be very interesting.

Incorrect, I am one of Franklins biggest fans. I love watching him play and make sure to watch every Hawks game.

Cloke has not had a superb season. Last year, was a superb season for Cloke. Last year Cloke was kicking big bags and destroying teams. This season has been a solid season for Cloke. He has the best hands in the game so its no surprise that he is leading the competition in contested marks once more.

This season is an average season for Franklin, yet still better than every other forward. The fact is, Franklin is so far ahead of every other forward in the game its not funny. He leads the comp in goals, behinds, marks inside 50, goal assists, score involvements, tackles more than any of the other top fifteen goal kickers bar Cyril. I'd like to see Cloke kick 13.4 against North Melbourne.

Travis Cloke is 5th in marks inside 50, 12th for tackles out of the top 15 goal scorers, and doesn't even feature when discussing goal assists. He also averages 5 disposals a game less than Buddy even though he is more your traditional CHF and plays further out from goal.

Franklin has more behinds than Cloke has goals and behinds combined.

Dont get me wrong, Cloke is a superstar and probably had a better 2011 season than Buddy, but this year Buddy has been superior to him, even if you discount the stats from the game with 13 goals.

good points :thumbsu:

I still reckon there have been forwards who have have had greater influences on games than Franklin 2012.
Hawkins, Cloke, Clark, Crameri, Walker even Schulz could claim he's won Port Adelaide 2 games this year off his own boot but those guys have all had arguably similar if not more influence in deciding matches this season.

Need to also make it clear that I know there is considerable hatred between Geelong/Hawthorn supporters and my comments on Franklin have nothing to do with that anger, it's just that I haven't yet seen Franklin do much this year apart from the North Melbourne or St Kilda games.

Remove this Banner Ad

All Australian - 40 man squad on page 89

Remove this Banner Ad

Back