Mega Thread All Australian Watch: 2011 Cont'd...

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
no mate, your literacy skills fail. if you mean to say 'every other team' then don't say 'any other team'.

Tony Lockett has kicked more VFL/AFL goals than every other player.
Tony Lockett has kicked more VFL/AFL goals than any other player.

Which would you use?

'Every other team' would imply that Carlton had more players in the AA team than all the other clubs combined. 'Any other team' simply means that Carlton had the most representatives in the AA team of the seventeen clubs.

That is a terrible team (Connolly).

Pendles on a flank is a fail. Thomas, the best pure wingman in the game, should be on a wing. McPharlin is a certainty for CHB at this stage. Priddis, as good as he is, should not be AA this year based on the season so far. Boyd over Mitchell is a fail.

Way too many tall defenders. Grow a set of balls and pick the best players in their positions instead of loading up on KPPs and midfielders.

Am I the only one who think J.Riewoldt's season is getting overrated?

I'd have all of Franklin, Cloke and Kennedy ahead of him and by some margin.

Sure he's got his 3gls per game average, but his overall impact on games this year has been well down on last year.

Sure he's got his 3gls per game average, but his overall impact on games this year has been well down on last year.

Yep. Kicking the goals but not doing much else.

Still, it's become common practice to award the Coleman Medalist a spot in the side and so long as he kicks the most goal (stiff competition from Buddy), he'll likely get there.

Absolutely. The way I see it is Franklin is a lock at CHF. Averaging 20 possessions and 4 goals, he picks himself as the standout forward.

Cloke and Kennedy should both be in the side. Kennedy kicking more goals but Cloke has been a powerhouse this year, albeit in an utterly dominant side. I'd have Jack Riewoldt well below these two in contention despite his goals. He rarely leaves forward 50 and has snagged a huge number of Joe the goose style cheapies. May come good in the second half of the year and it is a credit to him that he's kicked so many goals while not playing well, but he shouldn't be in AA contention at this stage.

Rohan Connolly's mid-season All Australian team

"As surprising as it seemed, even to me, when I tallied up the club representations, I've got no fewer than six Blues in my best 22 of the half-season.
"

all-australian_729-420x0.jpg
Rohan Connolly's mid-season All Australian team

Not saying 6 Blues deserve to be AA, or that any such thing will eventuate, but calls of bias etc in this thread are getting tired.

Lol that has got to be the worst AA team to date, including those named in this thread.

Lol that has got to be the worst AA team to date, including those named in this thread.

Why, all those listed deserve it at this point of the season, including all 6 Carlton players listed. Murph and Judd are leading all comers in the middle this year, Jamo has to be the inform FB of the comp, Walker and Garlett on output are the best HFF and FP in the comp, the only one that is iffy is Scotland and based on stats and impact he's up there. Ablett is a more head turning inclusion than any of the blues players imo.

Get over it people the Carlton side is a bloody good one that is only getting better and will cause all teams massive headaches for many seasons to come...i smell fear and jealousy all around!!

connolly's team is curious in a few respects

luke mcpharlin has just about been THE standout key defender of 2011 to date. how he is not even in the 22 is bizarre. connolly doesn't even rate him in the top 3 full backs given he has picked 3 genuine full backs in the last line of defence and mcpharlin isn't 1 of them. jamison is a joke in the 22 let alone the starting 18. has had a solid enough year but is a purely defensive player. ben reid has been just as good defensively and offers a hell of a lot more offensively. there's also a bloke called darren glass who has been back to his best as the rock upon which the weagle defence is built. both are ahead of jamison to date but none of the 3 should be in the side

travis cloke should be CHF and franklin FF. cloke has taken the most contested marks in the competition by some way and is on track to obliterate the record for contested marks in a season. he has kicked goals, covers the ground mazingly well for such a big man and is clearly the standout CHF of 2011 to date. j riewoldt should not be in the side. yes he has kicked the goals but he is in nowehere near the form he was in 2010, as any tigers fan will attest to

and andrew walker as a starting forward in the 18 is genuinely laughable stuff. he has kicked 30 goals for the year to date. 24 have come in games v suns bris port adel melb rich. he has kicked 6 goals combined in 5 games v coll geel ess stk syd where he has obviously faced sterner opposition. he is not even in contention for a spot

Thomas, the best pure wingman in the game, should be on a wing.

If he's selected you can almost guarantee he'll be on the HFF. Selectors always do it to fit in more midfielders.

The AA team is made with a game in mind, and Daisy is more than capable of playing HFF. So that's where he'll be selected.

And it's the right policy, the forward and backlines theese days always have midfielders rotating through. If anything, the AA team is too rigid with it's structure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

from a tiger supporter's opinion. he has kicked more goals at this stage then last year, but his work effort hasnt been as good as this time last year. just a bit of a crappy patch atm. d/w he will fire this weekend :D

Why, all those listed deserve it at this point of the season, including all 6 Carlton players listed. Murph and Judd are leading all comers in the middle this year, Jamo has to be the inform FB of the comp, Walker and Garlett on output are the best HFF and FP in the comp, the only one that is iffy is Scotland and based on stats and impact he's up there. Ablett is a more head turning inclusion than any of the blues players imo.

Get over it people the Carlton side is a bloody good one that is only getting better and will cause all teams massive headaches for many seasons to come...i smell fear and jealousy all around!!

Ablett is a more head turning inclusion than Heath Scotland or Andrew Walker? You serious?

Andrew Swallow has been superior & more consistent than Jobe Watson. Given that, they aren't AA players at this stage.

connolly's team is curious in a few respects

luke mcpharlin has just about been THE standout key defender of 2011 to date. how he is not even in the 22 is bizarre. connolly doesn't even rate him in the top 3 full backs given he has picked 3 genuine full backs in the last line of defence and mcpharlin isn't 1 of them. jamison is a joke in the 22 let alone the starting 18. has had a solid enough year but is a purely defensive player. ben reid has been just as good defensively and offers a hell of a lot more offensively. there's also a bloke called darren glass who has been back to his best as the rock upon which the weagle defence is built. both are ahead of jamison to date but none of the 3 should be in the side

and andrew walker as a starting forward in the 18 is genuinely laughable stuff. he has kicked 30 goals for the year to date. 24 have come in games v suns bris port adel melb rich. he has kicked 6 goals combined in 5 games v coll geel ess stk syd where he has obviously faced sterner opposition. he is not even in contention for a spot

Laughable post.

Agree on the McPharlin point, but Jamison has been the best pure Full Back in the comp and has certainly adapted his game so he's providing more drive off half back.

Ben Reid hasn't been close to Jamo, Merrett or McPharlin.

Cloke hasn't been the best CHF this year and so he shouldn't be placed on the ground. Simple as that.

Didn't realise the panel took into account who the goals were kicked against. Walker has managed to kick a number of goals as a forward pocket and regardless who his opposition has been, he deserves a spot.

Pretty vitriolic post on your behalf.

Talk about taking things out of context.

He kicked 2 goals against Richmond, Melbourne, Geelong, St.Kilda and Sydney. All good returns for a medium tall forward. He kicked the match winner against the Saints. 1st, 5th, 9th, 10th, 11th.

The only two games he hasn't kicked goals in this season are the Collingwood and Essendon game. Vs the Pies he played a genuine stinker but against Essendon he was sub and only played a quarter, so can't blame him there.

Does anyone else feel like Jack Riewoldt shouldn't be an automatic selection like he's being made out to be? Even though he's topping the goal list, Cloke and Franklin have had far superior seasons. IMO he's been the 3rd best tall forward this season and deserves to be in the team at the moment but he's not guarenteed like the BF groupthink seems to believe.

Ben Reid hasn't been close to Jamo, Merrett or McPharlin.

Cloke hasn't been the best CHF this year and so he shouldn't be placed on the ground. Simple as that.

There's no real need to compare Reid and Jamison because one is a FB and one is a CHB. Reid may be in contention for a spot with McPharlin (and potentially others like Taylor) for a CHB spot. Merrett is not worth even discussing because he is now out for a fair chunk of the season and isn't in contention for AA based on that.

Cloke has been the best CHF this year & definitely deserves his spot, hence why he's in most people's teams from what I've seen. He's averaging more contested marks than uncontested marks, that's pretty much unheard of in the modern game. People have always said that he could be a top line forward if his goal kicking accuracy improved - he has kicked 29.17 so far.

Cloke should be there ahead of Walker, without question. If Jamison and Scarlett can be on the team as back pockets instead of actual back pockets, Cloke can be there ahead of an inferior Walker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back