Mega Thread All Australian Watch: 2011 Cont'd...

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The afl.com.au mid-season AA team:

ALL AUSTRALIAN TEAM

B: Daniel Merrett, Matthew Scarlett, Corey Enright

HB: Bryce Gibbs, Harry Taylor, Heath Shaw

C: Dale Thomas, Jimmy Bartel, Chris Judd (c)

HF: Steve Johnson, Lance Franklin, Nathan Fyfe

F: Jeff Garlett, Travis Cloke, Josh Kennedy

Foll: Dean Cox, Scott Pendlebury, Matthew Boyd (vc)

I/C: Joel Selwood, Gary Ablett, Marc Murphy, Ryan O'Keefe

Looks pretty good.

Pretty poor effort IMO.

Scotland and Deledio have been better than Gibbs and Enright.
Jamieson, McPharlin and Gibson have been so much better than Taylor it's embarrassing he's even in there, Lonegan's probably been better.
Bartel shouldn't be on the field if in the team at all, certainly hasn't been better than Murphy.

Yeh to be honest it's not that great. As Juddernaut says, it's reflecting ladder position more than anything along with the 6+ obligatory Geelong players we've seen for the past 5 years. But this is probably how they select it anyway...

The AA panel have repeatedly adopted the view that they pick the team for a game, like any other team in the AFL.

Team balance is vital for the way AA has been selected.

I remember in 1989 that the Vic SOO selectors didn't bother about team balance. Ablett, Lockett, Dunstall and Brereton all lined up in the same forward line (maybe Lyon as well - can't remember) and completely dominated.

If the Blues had Franklin, Cloke, Riewoldt and Kennedy on their list Walker would not be getting a game, not in the forward line anyway.

Looks like McPharlin is the most underrated player in the media for 2011.

Agree with Jesus in regards to Boyd. Good year but not AA year imo. Borderline squad tbh.

Watson has been turfed a few weeks too early as well. Arguably the best player for the first 8ish weeks. Injuries should be allowed. Most teams have Selwood and he has missed the same number of games (including his first round which was about 15 mins long). Simply the case of recent form > early form as is always the case.

If the Blues had Franklin, Cloke, Riewoldt and Kennedy on their list Walker would not be getting a game, not in the forward line anyway.
If we had Franklin, Cloke, Riewoldt and Kennedy two of them had better hope they can play elsewhere because there's no chance they'd all get a game up forward.

ALL AUSTRALIAN TEAM

B: Sam Fisher, Michael Jamieson, Brett Deledio

HB: Heath Scotland, Luke McPharlin, Heath Shaw

C: Dale Thomas, Jobe Watson (vc), Marc Murphy

HF: Steve Johnson, Travis Cloke, Nathan Fyfe

F: Jeff Garlett, Lance Franklin, Josh Kennedy/Jack Reiwoldt

Foll: Dean Cox, Scott Pendlebury, Chris Judd (c)

I/C: Joel Selwood, Gary Ablett, Matthew Boyd/Matthew Priddis, Aaron Sandilands

Looks pretty good.

They absolutely stuffed up the backline.
Made a few positional changes and the player changes are:
Fisher over Scarlett- have been pretty much been playing the same role, fisher has been better
Scotland over Gibbs- obvious
Jamieson over Merrett- Jamieson's been better
Deledio over Enright- pretty close, however deledio has been more consistent
McPharlin over Taylor- There been about 4 CHB's this year who've been better than Taylor, with Luke being the best
Watson over Bartel- Bartel been a bit parts player this year all over the ground. Can't believe he was named in the centre ahead of watson
Sandilands over O'keefe- I know that the team reflects how a game would be played, but I'd have no hesitation playing both Cox and Sandilands if they were in my team, even if this is at the expense of Kennedy/Riewoldt, with an extra small put in

If we had Franklin, Cloke, Riewoldt and Kennedy two of them had better hope they can play elsewhere because there's no chance they'd all get a game up forward.

I'd happily have them all in the Hawks forward line. J Roo at FF, Cloke at CHF, Kennedy as third tall and Buddy on a flank just doing whatever the ^%$# he wants.

Walker is having a great year but he is playing as a FF and he is not the best FF in the AFL, and he is not in the best 6 forwards in the AFL. Therefore I cannot see how he can make the AA team.

I'd happily have them all in the Hawks forward line. J Roo at FF, Cloke at CHF, Kennedy as third tall and Buddy on a flank just doing whatever the ^%$# he wants.

Wouldn't work. Teams will destroy you on the rebound.

Walker's a third tall, not a full forward. He's not All Australian at this stage but 4 genuine KPFs is one too many.

ALL AUSTRALIAN TEAM

B: Daniel Merrett, Matthew Scarlett, Corey Enright

HB: Bryce Gibbs, Harry Taylor, Heath Shaw

C: Dale Thomas, Jimmy Bartel, Chris Judd (c)

Foll: Dean Cox, Scott Pendlebury, Matthew Boyd (vc)

I/C: Joel Selwood, Gary Ablett, Marc Murphy, Ryan O'Keefe

Looks pretty good.

Gibbs, Taylor, Bartel and Boyd in..with Jamison, McPharlin and Watson out.

Rofl. :eek:

Wouldn't work. Teams will destroy you on the rebound.

Walker's a third tall, not a full forward. He's not All Australian at this stage but 4 genuine KPFs is one too many.

You never know, there might not be a whole heap of rebound because I can't see that forward line dropping many marks! Jack and Buddy are both pretty good at ground level too.

Ckoke at CHF, Buddy at FF, would be the best combo by a mile.

Make a super trade and trade Kennedy & Riewoldt for Scott Pendlebury. There you have it, problem solved, Blues win a flag ;)

The definitive GordonGecko midseason AA squad.

B: Matthew Scarlett, Michael Jamison, Josh Gibson

HB: Bryce Gibbs, Luke Macpharlin, Joel Corey (Vc)

C: Dale Thomas, Jimmy Bartel, Chris Judd (C)

Foll: Dean Cox, Scott Pendlebury, Marc Murphy

I/C: Joel Selwood, Gary Ablett, Aaron Sandilands, Jude Bolton.

You know it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember in 1989 that the Vic SOO selectors didn't bother about team balance. Ablett, Lockett, Dunstall and Brereton all lined up in the same forward line (maybe Lyon as well - can't remember) and completely dominated.

Wouldnt happen in 2011 even if we asume you had midfield dominance.

Feel free to argue against it.

If you can.

Sure, players like Heath Shaw make a decent side a great side.

How does he go to water with a shadow? He is a defender, if a club send a tagger to him - we win. They are down a forward and Shaw might pick up 10 touches while his 'nominal forward' chases him around getting nothing. Meanwhile, one of our other attacking defenders in O'Brien, Maxwell, Reid, Johnson etc will still launch countless rebounds. They can then tag one of them if they like, and Shaw will dominate and the circle of life continues.

Sure, players like Heath Shaw make a decent side a great side.

How does he go to water with a shadow? He is a defender, if a club send a tagger to him - we win. They are down a forward and Shaw might pick up 10 touches while his 'nominal forward' chases him around getting nothing. Meanwhile, one of our other attacking defenders in O'Brien, Maxwell, Reid, Johnson etc will still launch countless rebounds. They can then tag one of them if they like, and Shaw will dominate and the circle of life continues.

You just asked how he does he go to water with a shadow then admitted he can go to water with a shadow. Derp. Whenever I've seen Shaw play really well this season he's been mostly running around on his own, when he gets a dedicated opponent (which has only happened a few times) his output is well down, similar to his previous years. I think he will make the team but I agree he's overrated. People talk about how he's a lock and so far ahead of others - he's really not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back