All Australian Watch: 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the dogs Griffen should be in, Boyd and Murphy borderline selected.

B: Corey Enright - Daniel Merrett - Ben Rutten
HB: Heath Shaw - Luke McPharlin - Robert Murphy
C: Marc Murphy - Jobe Watson (c) - David Mundy
HF: Andrew Embley - Travis Cloke - Paul Chapman
F: Dustin Martin - Lance Franklin - ?????????
R: Dean Cox - Chris Judd (vc) - Scott Pendlebury
INT: Aaron Sandilands - Nathan Fyfe - Dane Swan - Jimmy Bartel

EMG: Ryan Griffen - Matthew Pavlich - Andrew Swallow

Good list as usual AG,the only one I was surprised at was Robert Murphy.

Ballantyne would be a front runner for your open Forward pocket slot?

At this point in time I'd have it sitting like this.

B: Enright - Merrett - Jamison
HB: Shaw - McPharlin - Griffen
C: Swan - Pendlebury - Murphy
HF: Cloke - Franklin - Embley
FF: Martin - Riewoldt - Chapman

Foll: Cox - Watson - Judd

Int: Sandilands - Mundy - Bartel - Mitchell

Rutten has been an absolute rock at full back. He's been as good as ever defensively, despite the fact that our midfield haven't been doing our defence any favours whatsoever this season, but he's also averaging a career best 20 touches a game. In better form than when he made the AA squad in '05.

Is Fyfe a slim chance? I've only seen a couple of Freo's games this year, but he's been a standout in both.

Rutten will always be underrated by people in these forums. He is in career best form. Would easily be in the team at this point in time.

Scott Thompson is another one that gets no love. Very difficult to squeeze midfielders into the AA team because of the sheer number of quality midfielders in the comp. Right now though, Thompson would have to be very close.

Glad to see Merrett getting some recognition.

A couple of brain snaps aside, he has been absolutely phenomenal in a backline that is seeing a hell of a lot of action.

A mate (Brisbane supporter) and I have a have a Daniel Merrett drinking game whereby for every spoil he performs you down a beer...

A mate (Brisbane supporter) and I have a have a Daniel Merrett drinking game whereby for every spoil he performs you down a beer...

Must have been absolutely hammered after the Saints game then! 19 spoils. :eek:

Absolutely. He's beginning to justify Matty Knights' decision to take him over Michael Barlow, at the very least (as is the form of Heath Hocking and Sam Lonergan, mind).

Was browsing some season stats earlier (don't know why) and stumbled upon this side-by-side comparison. I found the numbers quite interesting...

Kyle Hardingham:

57 kicks
36 handballs
49 contested/43 uncontested possessions
88.2% disposal efficiency
29 marks (10 contested)
13 tackles
35 one %ers

Harry O'Brien:

57 kicks
39 handballs
40 contested/53 uncontested possessions
87.5% disposal efficiency
27 marks (6 contested)
3 tackles
21 one %ers

Not quite clones in terms of playing style, but they're both mid-sized backmen and rebound players (especially with Dempsey out for the Dons) and I think Hardingham's figures and overall performances stack up very very well.

I think Hardingham has started the year quite well and isn't out of place in these discussions, but Harry O'Brien is playing some very average football atm. His weakness under the high ball seems more pronounced than ever this year and he seems to be just blazing away off the half back line more than before.

I personally wouldn't be comparing the two if I was looking to mount a case for Hardingham's selection unless those are O'Brien's 2010 stats?

From the cats at the moment only Enright and Bartel would be in the AA team but I expect by the end of the year they will keep their spots and be joined by Selwood and Chapman

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No room for Fyfe?

I think Hardingham has started the year quite well and isn't out of place in these discussions, but Harry O'Brien is playing some very average football atm. His weakness under the high ball seems more pronounced than ever this year and he seems to be just blazing away off the half back line more than before.

I personally wouldn't be comparing the two if I was looking to mount a case for Hardingham's selection unless those are O'Brien's 2010 stats?

I was more just struck by the correlations in the numbers, mate, as these two players happened to come up side by side while I was scrolling through some stats. I don't think the comparison harms Hardingham's case at all though, as his figures are better in key areas (contested ball, tackling, one %ers...)

Anyhow, it's just numbers - that's my point. Bit of fun.

Glad to see Merrett getting some recognition.

A couple of brain snaps aside, he has been absolutely phenomenal in a backline that is seeing a hell of a lot of action.

Have to agree. Think Merrett beat JAck this weekend. Funny thing to say I know because JAck got 5, but 1 on 1 Merrett won - it was the supporting cast on both sides that got Jack to 5.

Liking this one a lot. Well done.

Boyd would be borderline for mine.

And Griffen at half-back is a 50/50...he's been in good form but putting players out of their natural position so as to fit them in the AA squad is a bit weird. That is, unless that player has played a lot of footy there.

From memory Griffen has always been in the guts or on the wing?

If Crameri's goalkicking form continues (currently on 12) he'd have to be a chance for a pocket role surely?

It's a fair 'if', but why not? Every time I hear one of the media folk talk about him it's always in glowing terms, he's making a very big impression. But I reckon there'll be other forwards who will garner more attention/hype for similar levels of performance.

Should I push up Andrew Walker who has kicked 13 goals and won a game off his own boot?

Crameri will be hard pressed to get an AA spot.

Walker's a funny one because not that many people seem to rate him (I think it was Paul Roos who suggested recently that maybe even Carlton don't rate him)... and I'm not sure why. Curse of the utility, perhaps? If he plays in one position more or less the whole year, he'll turn some heads I reckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back