Rumour All GWS Rumour And Speculation Thread - Vol 2

What Big Name would you Rather Lose to GWS?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Pendlebury off GWS hit-list

LOOMING Collingwood superstar Scott Pendlebury is off an ambitious Greater Western Sydney recruitment shopping list.

• Scott Pendlebury looks certain to stay with Collingwood
    Getty Images

Instead, the AFL’s new franchise is believed to have at least two key position stars in their recruiting sights, with Pendlebury’s Magpies premiership teammate Travis Cloke and Essendon young gun Michael Hurley as top priorities.

Pretty Much saying GWS are after Cloke and not Pendles

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2012/02/23/pendlebury-off-gws-hit-list/

Re: Cloke is the main target for GWS

I'll just add, I know barely anyone thinks Cloke will go but I think it's pretty unlikely he'd join the leadership group this year if he wasn't happy being at the Pies and looking to stick around.

It just seems like players only leave if they have a reason to on top of the money, or they're players who have never been on decent contracts before and don't currently deserve to be on one either.

Re: Pendlebury off GWS hit-list

Pfft.

They never stood or in present tense stand a chance of landing him anyway.

Best they look elsewhere.

Goes for all our big guns.

Main target or not Cloke will be at the Pies next year and beyond. It's a certainty.

People can harp on about the $$$$$ at GWS etc. when it's all set and done he will sign a new contract extension and be rewarded handsomely for his sacrifice last time round because we always reward and look after our own.

A point a lot of people are missing is that GWS arent the only team that can bid for Cloke.

I can easily see, say, Port Adelaide putting in a serious $1m per annum bid for Cloke - if it works, great, if it doesnt then they can show fans, sponsors and so on that they are serious about trying to improve the team.

I can also see, say, Carlton putting in a mischief bid for Cloke, in an effort to get Collingwood to pay him more and therefore have less cap left for the "depth" players that get you through September when injuries hit.

On the positive side for Collingwood, the consolation draft picks and freed salary cap room from losing one of them might be important for a team trying to stay at the top, especially if you can keep the fan base happy by honestly trying to keep the stars but getting outbid.

Finally, my feeling is Silvagni - Sheedy doesnt get a vote in player personell - will hold off on exactly who to go after until he sees how the GWS team gels, and therefore whether we need a midfielder, a CHF or to extend all our existing kids so we dont lose them to trade demands in a couple of years ;) This may cause a game of "chicken" between the players, their current teams and GWS, as neither Collingwood nor GWS has enough cap room to pay both Cloke and Pendlebury a million bucks a year each.

Main target or not Cloke will be at the Pies next year and beyond. It's a certainty.

People can harp on about the $$$$$ at GWS etc. when it's all set and done he will sign a new contract extension and be rewarded handsomely for his sacrifice last time round because we always reward and look after our own.

When we picked up Ball and Jolly, did Pendles take a pay cut or was his contract just back ended? I remember reading a story early 2010 about this.

Apparently Travis Cloke is under new management - RCM Sports Management.

Would the "Sam Sheedy" that works at RCM be the same Sam Sheedy that is Kevin's son?

Apparently Travis Cloke is under new management - RCM Sports Management.

Would the "Sam Sheedy" that works at RCM be the same Sam Sheedy that is Kevin's son?

GAWD! When does the season start? I'm almost sick in the gut with all this speculation, bring on the footy before I tune out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

certainly is -

arrow-blue.gif
Sam Sheedy
Sam Sheedy, the son of VFL/AFL legend and current Greater Western Sydney coach Kevin Sheedy joins RCM Sport after two successful years as a recruiting officer for the GWS Giants. Sam, who has football in his blood, will begin with RCM Sport season 2012, assisting in talent identification and vision editing across all States and Territories.
Contact sam@ralphcarr.com

http://www.ralphcarr.com/web/about-sports-management.htm

certainly is -

arrow-blue.gif
Sam Sheedy
Sam Sheedy, the son of VFL/AFL legend and current Greater Western Sydney coach Kevin Sheedy joins RCM Sport after two successful years as a recruiting officer for the GWS Giants. Sam, who has football in his blood, will begin with RCM Sport season 2012, assisting in talent identification and vision editing across all States and Territories.
Contact sam@ralphcarr.com

http://www.ralphcarr.com/web/about-sports-management.htm

That could be a Worry but sounds like he looks more at the Kids then Look after Clients already signed up

Scott Pendlebury ‏ @SP_10 So many trades today, my lakers got better but it's safe to say loyalty in sport is not a 2 way thing. #business

then the reply...

Dale Thomas ‏ @DT_13
“@SP_10: So many trades today, my lakers got better but it's safe to say loyalty in sport is not a 2 way thing. #business” Gws for you??

Hmm...while they mucked around like this when the rumours of Dale and Dane were going around, Scott's first comment was interesting enough.

then the reply...

Hmm...while they mucked around like this when the rumours of Dale and Dane were going around, Scott's first comment was interesting enough.
His comments meant that clubs expect players to be loyal to them, but when the shoe is on the other foot, clubs will discard players if something better comes around.

Like i said before the top tiered players at Collingwood will not go anywhere,they will stay Pies for life.

We may in the end lose a peripheral player but not a top end player.

Can anyone remember when was the last time a top class player left collingwood in their prime,to go to another club purely for money ?

Maybe Maguane who played 2 games for carlton,but he was past his prime ?
The only other one i believe that left was Peter Moore who went to Melbourne ? That's all i can think of .............

Believe me Clokey or Pendles or any of the top tiered players won't leave.

Someone who is a depth player could get lured.That's about it.

American sports are very different to Australian sports,especially AFL.

It is far more difficult to move in the AFL and I'd doubt players have highly incentive based contracts like they do in the NFL, for example, were a players wages can triple if they catch a certain number of receptions for the year. That culture breeds personal greed.

Pendles and Cloke won't leave. It may cost us more then we'd like to have to pay and force someone else out, but these 2 are top of our list closely followed by Reid, Sidey, Shaw & Harry. Beams and Wellers after those guys.

Lucky TD did not get wind of this, it would have been a new thread.

I read the comments on Twitter this morning and had a nice chuckle. Pendles going nowhere.

Was pendles saying Pies are not loyal?

I actually think we will lose wellers ( if anyone). I remember chocco said last year he is the most underrated player in the comp. also he would be one of the top players at gws and definitely earn more there than pies. People's thoughts?

I am not even 100 sure he is off contract but someone will confirm

^^^^^

That is correct. I also think Wellers will be the one to leave.

We'll offer him the best we can, say $250-$300k???, GWS offer him, say $500k (ie double).

Still cheap for the GWS salary cap leaving them room for their youngsters in a few years, when they come off contract and enough to entice a few more uncontracteds.

I'd take that now, if we could and disspell the rumour and innuendo for the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour All GWS Rumour And Speculation Thread - Vol 2

Back