Analysis All is not lost - The positivity thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I think there is room for optimism. After round 8 we were a seriously good side and gave some beltings to some really good sides. Unfortunately we seem to just switch from the best side in the comp to the worst side in the comp once a month. The last four losses we had were as uncompetitive as any team in the comp, as soon as it got too hard we stopped fighting. Now prepare for some written diarrhea.

• Richards and Lobb moves have transformed both lines.
  • Jones had a great season and with Lobb being a revelation it’s nice to have a trustworthy key back pairing. Hopefully Jones’ body holds up long enough for it to keep going.
  • Half backs have all had solid seasons. Dale is still vulnerable actually defending but has probably been the most damaging user in the comp off half back after his slow start to the season. Bramble had a really solid, apart from a five week period in the middle of the season, a great find. And despite me writing him off every year since about 2015, Duryea was fantastic all year. He won’t go on forever though and not sure his replacement is currently on the list.
  • Freijah had a superb first season and has acclimatised to AFL football as fast as any later draft pick that I can remember. Not sure where he ends up long term, looks like he could play anywhere. Half back, wing, or inside midfield all seem like genuine possibilities.
  • Probably question marks about the third tall/mid sizers that will compliment the half backs and Lobb/Jones. Busslinger’s season has been promising, disappointing they didn’t give him a chance in the AFL but hoping he gets an early chance next season. JOD still looks promising but had a lot of hiccups and complications this season. Don’t think he had a particularly good year, save for the last two games of the home and away season, hopefully with a bit more continuity there will be a third year jump. I certainly haven’t given up on him. Coffield looked like a guy who hasn’t played for two and a half seasons. He had some solid moments but a lot of times he looked like he was lacking a bit of trust in his abilities. Look forward to finding out more about him next season. Buku had a solid season, think he proved that he can be solid back up at either end. Unfortunately I think there is too many deficiencies in his game to ever be best 22.
  • Midfield was great for the most part. Bont is still the best player in the game, a bad time to play his worst game of the season (and maybe his career). I think he’ll take it personally and come back with more hunger next season. We know he is a great finals player, don’t think he’ll let his next opportunity slip.
  • Treloar, outstanding season. Libba is still Libba for the most part and Richards has been a great complimentary piece. His speed and kicking skills are second to none. A Bailey Smith type would’ve been nice this season (think he would have had a really big season if not for the knee), seems like we’ll never see it. Need another gut running ball carrier. Sanders is potentially a Libba replacement but its hard just getting him games at the moment.
  • Not sure what we’re doing with the wings. Happy enough with Williams. Not usually the biggest Poulter fan but thought he was good later in the season. Thought his dropping was harsh and not convinced we got more out of that position after his omission. Do I trust him going forward? Probably not. Maybe it is just Freijah who is the next option. He looks awesome back and it’d be a big call to move him early. I sort of just want an Acres like athlete to play wing. Good size to be an overhead threat and just run super hard both ways. Hunter was obviously a great wing and Williams is competent but it’s generally a position we’ve ignored for the past decade.
  • A really rough season for English. Think we saw a lot more of the bad English this year than we have seen at other times. I don’t know if it’s his concussion issues that have made him a little more tentative. They’re have been times this year that he has brought the physicality and with his other assets if he just competes he is a real asset after the fact. Was easily the best ruck on the ground when he went against Darcy and Jackson for example and he was ready for the contest. Too often this year, the opposition brought the physicality and English wasn’t up for it. The Adelaide game was the worst example of this.
  • Forward line is full of good names and individually they had solid seasons but not sure they are better than the some of its parts. They’re all super young and the more they play together the better they’ll get. Darcy is a jet, Jamarra had a brilliant month but probably was a little down on expectations for a large part of the year. Still had a zillion shots and could have had amazing goal numbers. Think he is ready to break out and he too will be very disappointed with how his season finished. Don’t think Naughton’s season was as awesome as Champion Data wanted us to believe but he had a decent year. Could never question his work rate but doesn’t clunk them like he used to. His improvement in accuracy was great to see.
  • Weightman and West had really solid seasons too. Probably could improve their consistency a little still but it is a hard position to play. Still think sometimes Cody needs to just do the basics a bit more often. He is more like the Jamie Elliott type who is a tall in a small’s body but if we’re going to play three talls which we should, it doesn’t give you many opportunities to play that way. West had a really good season and it was disappointing he missed out on the final, just a staggering decision especially after he missed out in 2022 in an equally bizarre selection call.
  • Definitely need to improve the other complimentary forwards. Can’t fault McNeil’s endeavour since coming back in. Thought his good stuff was very noticeable. Matches Weightman and West with tackles and pressure acts, was second in the competition in possessions from crumbs. Just can not be trusted when he gets it. If he cleaned up his ball use and took his chances you’d be really happy with him but 54 games in, this is probably what he is. Watching all the Hawks and Giants smalls with how clean and clinical they are makes me jealous. I’m sure VDM is a great teammate and good trainer but it’s absolutely diabolical that he was selected in every game this season. He was the lowest amongst our small forwards in virtually every category (shots, goals, score involvements, possessions, tackles, pressure acts, crumbing possessions). We’re not serious if he’s starting again next season.
  • Have seen enough potential in the new players. Freijah obviously awesome, Gallagher shows enough signs that I think he’ll be a player but played way more games than he should have, excited to see what he produces next year. Sanders had some good moments but I worry there is no spot for him, really looks like an inside midfielder or nothing. Going to have to improve his other crafts otherwise he will struggle to get game time again. Was a shame Busslinger didn’t get a chance this year but think he’ll get a lot of game time next season. Clarke was an awful debut, looked so far off but hopefully after a big preseason he is ready for a second chance next season.

There was a discernible change in game style that showed promise in the last half of the year.

Not sure why we reverted back to playing names at the tail end of the year when that slowed our ball movement and dropped our pressure.

Darcy and Freijah we real positives. Would like to see Freijah develop more as a mid in the pre season.

Ed coming along as a mid, Lobb down back it was a shame we didn't give Buss a run late in the season.

Our forwards are still developing as a group. Before injury Naughts was really coming along as a CHF. JUH just needs to keep working hard to get consistency.

A new forwards coach, bring Freijah into the mid mix with Richards, more games into Sanders and sign Smith (or another hard running mid), get Arty playing the VDM role and we can re set fairly quickly

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Definite change in game style from the back half of the year.
In fairness the opposition owned us all over park, so no surprise we had no system.
Bev resisted playing Daniel and Macrae until late in the season not sure in the end it
was a good idea to play them both.
Our structure with the number of talls we now have , just can’t carry blokes with so little leg speed or lack of kicking depth .

Our small forwards just lack any class or forward smarts, and when they do get a chance to kick a goal , well 😩

But plenty to work with , we should be contending again in 2025 with a few tweaks.

Definite change in game style from the back half of the year.
In fairness the opposition owned us all over park, so no surprise we had no system.
Bev resisted playing Daniel and Macrae until late in the season not sure in the end it
was a good idea to play them both.
Our structure with the number of talls we now have , just can’t carry blokes with so little leg speed or lack of kicking depth .

Our small forwards just lack any class or forward smarts, and when they do get a chance to kick a goal , well 😩

But plenty to work with , we should be contending again in 2025 with a few tweaks.
Making finals you mean?

We are a long way off contending.

I’ve been mostly keeping away from footy media and discussion because I know that the more I read, the more upset I’ll be.

My pass mark for the year was to win a final. Didn’t get there. Oh well. Time for me to take my true form as an enormous draft nuff for the next few months.
Silver lining there's always something for us Bulldogs tragics to look forward too.
How we get better for next year

1. Don't have to worry about paying $1000 for a flight to Adelaide.
2. Don't have to worry about forking out anywhere from $500 to $5000 for Grand Final tickets.

And we have a decade plus of Sam Darcy to look forward to. Pay the man now Bulldogs - 10 years $20million should suffice.

I had to avoid this thread for a day. It was just too raw and I had to let my rage largely settle before I even thought of doing any analysis or heaven forbid, any positive thinking.

However, Calmer heads have prevailed. A positive I have found. In the second half, I saw a lot of effort with little strategy or clean skill. Talented players not backing themselves to take the game on. Chipping the ball around in the defensive fifty was crazy, it was playing into their hands and the way the wanted to play in the second half. Effort was there, Skill was not...in any conceivable way.

Positives:

-- We were one game out of the Top 4. Given our back line revolution did not happen until, Round 8 was it? Or was that just when we bcame decent? Anyway, I back us to grab at least two more wins next season and snatch a Top 4 birth. I know, It's hard to see now, but we had a dominant five week stretch to light the way to a stronger team.

-- Another pre-season for a shockingly young forward line. As of the beginning of next season. Naughton(25), Ugle-Hagan(23), Darcy(21). All with flashes of greatness throughout the season. However, disregard this point if we don't Recruit a new FORWARD COACH! Brad Johnson's small role has largely done **** all and Spangher should have been done after 2023.

-- West, Bale and Weightman(Though he didn't do shit last game) remain strong. West especially is a pest that should have played last night.

-- The discovery of Ed Richards through the middle is Chefs Kiss. However, his class could of been handy on the Half-back line last night. All great teams win premierships nowadays of their half back line.

The only negative that could send us plummeting down the ladder is our ageing Mid's. Libba is maximum 1 year off retirement, Ad's possibly 2. And at that point, how seemingly great our back-line and forward-line may be won't matter at all.

-- You get the feeling the only thing holding this squad back is a Top 4 finish. How many times do we lose a shocker and then lose again? It's rare and that is the advantage of being a team on the forefront. We need to do this next season or it's a wrap.

-- We are only 1-2 journeymen(McNeil and VDM) away from a class starting lineup.

-- Bont is still in with a slight chance to get the Brownlow. "If"and it's a big one. The umpires throw us a few pity votes here and there.

On Luke Beveridge. The man who occupies a Jekyll and Hyde relationship in the hearts of our faithful. What to say, He's got the leadership, but not the tactical skill. The players love him, but since when have Dogs ever known what's good for em? I mean, they will consume a block of chocolate without a second thought. Hmm, Can we appoint another coach for tactics and then let Bevo drunkenly ramble his inspirational hoopla. Is that not possible?

Just my initial thoughts. Very therapeutic.

Last edited:
Next year we celebrate 100 years in the AfL/VFL. Someone suggested we should change our name for the season back to Footscray love that suggestion. The club should also make it a celebration of supporters with plenty of 100 year functions Sam Darcy to rip it apart will be our next captain after The Bont oh nearly forgot a premiership would be nice.
Is it possible to organise an Email surge to the club for this? This could be the heritage kick in the pants we need. Something different mentally. Approach it like, we are no longer the underachieving, potential wasting, Mediocre Western Bulldogs.

We're FOOTSCRAY again. We return to our heritage for one last swing of the bat with this list. Right Before a few of our stars get chaired off into the Footballing sunset.

Last edited:
All is not lost. We have an awesome cadre of talls, along with the best player in the comp and another AA.

Get Busslinger and Sanders into the team. Croft needs to get a taste for it sooner rather than later.

Trade in Peatling, O'Driscoll.

Trade out Jack Mac, Caleb. You have both been awesome for the club, but we need to rejuvenate the team.

Focus the draft on the next gen of midfielders.

Find a replacement (not necessarily immediately) for Duryea given he is close to the end.

We don't need any delisted free agents as "depth". We need best 23 players. We have enough depth players in the squad. Harmes, Poulter, Keath, etc

Lobb with a full pre-season at CHB.

Send Bevo to have a chat with Mitch Croft and get him to see the light, stop playing volleyball and sign as a category B rookie.

Thanks for your service JJ, you have been awesome, but your body is not holding up, retire.

Re-sign Smith if he wants to stay, otherwise maximise what we get in return.

The blokes who have been on the list for 4-6 years and still can't get a regular game (Garcia, Buku, Cleary, Jones), make a decision as to whether they will ever be best 23. If not, pack their bags.

Coaches to spend the whole off season watching the Hawks game a Clock Work Orange style and tweak / evolve / change the game plan accordingly.

And go again.

Ok I've had time to reflect... The last 12 weeks were mostly impressive. I think we went 9-3. This year is a launch pad into next and we get off to a good start and finish top 4.
This is 100% how I see it.

If next year is a flop we all know what will happen, but after two years of forward line distinction, leaky defence and easy opposition goals we turned into a great defensive side who could score quickly week after week.

Meanwhile a lot of our younger players are really coming on.

It was a bad game but doesn’t invalidate progress this year. The key is going on with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it possible to organise an Email surge to the club for this? This could be the heritage kick in the pants we need. Something different mentally. Approach it like, we are no longer the underachieving, potential wasting, Mediocre Western Bulldogs.

We're FOOTSCRAY again. We return to our heritage for one last swing of the bat with this list. Right Before a few of our stars get chaired off into the Footballing sunset.

Maybe it can start with a Bigfooty collective to push the initiative. Mods how many active Bulldog bigfooty members do we have. I would willing to draft an email to Amet Bains for comment and editing for each of us to hit the club. Lets build the excitement factor for the 100 year celebrations stuff hokball next season is Bulldogs Blitz or even Footscray Frensy. Beat the hawks and roos to the punch they joined in 1925 as well.

Last edited:
We have the best list in my lifetime - I hate when that f’stick Cornes goes on about it but it’s probably true.

What we need is the personal competitiveness from the team to realise their potential. Lots of teams have seen results from this. Collingwood a couple of years ago and Hawks this year. Bring back Bob Murphy as an assistant coach and work with a crack sports psychology team.

The following players are very good and start us in 2025 looking very good:

FF: West JUH Darcy

HF: ?? Naughton Weightman

W: Smith?? Red Trelor

C: English Bont Libba

HB: ?? Lobb Dale

FB: ?? Jones Bramble

Libba is aging but we have Sanders

Jones is aging but we have Buss

Macrae is aging but we have Friejah

English has weaknesses but Darcy getting better

3rd Tall is still unsettled but JOD (had a stinker but has heaps of upside), Khamis and Coffield are all going to be better.

On bench we have Williams who is OK, Macrae who I still think is valuable but needs speed around him.

Small defender is a problem: Dale, Doc and Bramble are just not strong enough - don’t need stars but need fight: Mills, Lloyd, Campbell, Cunningham etc.

Doc is aging but doesn’t really have a back up. Same with JJ - we really miss his run.

As wing and small forward but that is less than most teams

Whilst we were shit in finals, we we weren't as shit as Port and Carlton!

Thats why I think the list is salvageable at this point in time, there's many positives and with a few tweaks including coaching staff I believe this team can push top 4 next year

Hope and expectation are the big killers. After the last few years I still have a faint hope but I now have no real expectation that we will finish top 4 or even win a final under Bevo. That's a positive.

And if we DO happen to win one that's an even bigger positive! :)

Plenty of positives. You’re an idiot if you’re off the coach again on one loss after being on him for 10-12 weeks.

I think we are 1-2 fast and classy players away from a flag. Need to get games into Sanders, Gags, Buss and hopefully Lachie smith next season. Another pre season helps.
I still see something in Arty too.

We absolutely cannot continue with Libba, Macrae, Daniel, Harmes all in the same team at the same time.

Onwards and upwards hopefully.

Positive for me was the back half was about as good as I've ever seen us play. Taking out the Adelaide game, we beat 3 of the top 4 teams easily and smashed other teams. Need to do that for longer next year and get that elusive top 4 spot. History shows u need it to win a flag barring a miracle run like 2016.

A great positive point was we ran into the team that is coached the correct way. If we had of dodged Hawthorn, and had one or two finals wins, it would have papered over the cracks of ‘team selection’ and ‘mental approach’, our two worst attributes currently. We would go into the summer thinking we were on the right track. Now we know we are not and must get on those tracks if we are to compete with Hawks and Cats and Swans. We know now that we can’t win a flag with McNeill or Vanders (if they remain the players they are) or the attitude of Weightman and Jamarra, or Tim English doesn’t change his approach to football. We were exposed brutally by a way better coached and hungrier team. And the positive is that is at least where we need to improve over the summer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis All is not lost - The positivity thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back