All things Politics

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I'm not sure people are clamouring to uproot their lives and seek a new one in Thailand in the same numbers as seem to want to come to Oz.

That seems to me to be a measure of the reputation a country has when it comes to giving everyone a fair go. No country is perfect but i think Australia is one of the best. We have a very diverse population especially when compared to many Asian countries.

My brother was the boss of a big bricklaying business and his employees were a veritable mini multi cultural family of blokes from Burma, Italy, indigenous Aussies, poms, Tongans and kiwis all good mates who worked hard and loved my brother as they were well looked after.

I think that is far more typical of the Australian way than this media hyped racism and antagonism. I have many good mates both male and female from a broad section of backgrounds and all of them are accepting of any one from any culture if they are good people. Maybe I mix with exceptionally unique people. I do t think that's the case.
Many here uneducated and think of the $ for coming to Oz. To send big $ back to their families.
Turn the tables and look where retirees are coming. Not Australia but Thailand.

And I'm not sure people are clamouring to uproot their lives and seek a new one in Thailand in the same numbers as seem to want to come to Oz.
Thailand actually sees far more asylum seekers than Australia - a huge number more. But even if your statement was true, there are very different pay rates, and material standard of living. Japan, with some of least favourable laws and attitudes towards foreignors, is also extremely highly sought after in terms of a destination for foreign workers, purely and simply because they pay well.

But anyway, Johnson is a great prospect and I'm not sure why you are so affronted by the suggestion that he's done well to overcome a disadvantage regarding his background. at the very least it's very clear that he wasn't part of Dekka's elite pathways and thus didn't receive as much tuition and support aimed at getting his game up to AFL standard.

Many here uneducated and think of the $ for coming to Oz. To send big $ back to their families.
Turn the tables and look where retirees are coming. Not Australia but Thailand.
I don't know why people are set on this idea that immigrants are not welcome or happy to be here . We have a huge Burmese community in Mooroolbark and their gorgeous kids have perennial smiles on their faces and the adults are very settled and at home.

Why would people from overseas be getting big money if we are a racist country?

I don't know why people are set on this idea that immigrants are not welcome or happy to be here . We have a huge Burmese community in Mooroolbark and their gorgeous kids have perennial smiles on their faces and the adults are very settled and at home.

Why would people from overseas be getting big money if we are a racist country?
Sure I agree. Most Aussies are great.
Lots of work to be done though to stamp it out completely. Look at Ed our ex President. Foot in the mouth disease.
The current or next generation of young people in Australia are awesome 👌

Last edited:
I'm tired of any discussion about a footballer who happens to be indigenous becoming about racism or his skin. I didn't introduce the subject, I respnded to it.

You were triggered by this:

"some white Australians have no appreciation of what he has had to overcome to even get anywhere near an AFL list"

If you don't think it's a more difficult journey to the AFL for an indigenous kid from outback WA, then you prove the entire statement true. If you think that no white Australians underestimate the extra difficulty, then you're kidding yourself.

You've taken it on one of your benders, but you haven't actually pointed out what it is about the statement that you disagree with. So you did introduce the subject. You saw an opening for one of your hobby horses and you rode that hobby horse in no vicinity of the post that triggered you.

You were triggered by this:

"some white Australians have no appreciation of what he has had to overcome to even get anywhere near an AFL list"

If you don't think it's a more difficult journey to the AFL for an indigenous kid from outback WA, then you prove the entire statement true. If you think that no white Australians underestimate the extra difficulty, then you're kidding yourself.

You've taken it on one of your benders, but you haven't actually pointed out what it is about the statement that you disagree with. So you did introduce the subject. You saw an opening for one of your hobby horses and you rode that hobby horse in no vicinity of the post that triggered you.
I wrote nothing remotely offensive or worthy of the usual bile that comes when anyone dares offer a contrary opinion on one of a range of subjects.

I said there are no doubt individuals from indigenous communities who do have remarkable stories but others from different backgrounds also face obstacles.

The reference to "white Australians " not understanding is something I disagree with. I think we have seen many stories similar to AJs. The sacking of Rendell years ago brought that issue to the forefront.

Can you please quote anything I have written in this thread which can be construed as racist or offensive?

I wrote nothing remotely offensive or worthy of the usual bile that comes when anyone dares offer a contrary opinion on one of a range of subjects.

Look at you making an Easter martyr of yourself.

'Oh my, nothing I've said could possibly have caused any offence'.

Shut up and give the thread back to football.

Let me put this in a way you might understand.

Stop hijacking threads with your ignorant drivel. No one in their right mind gives a single f*** for whatever delusions you're holding onto.

Leave. It. Be.
You leave it be. You spend a lot if time responding to things nobody in their right mind gives a single **** for.

You leave it be. You spend a lot if time responding to things nobody in their right mind gives a single * for.

Hey, look at that! They've moved you to the politics thread, crucifix and all!

Enjoy.

I said there are no doubt individuals from indigenous communities who do have remarkable stories but others from different backgrounds also face obstacles.

The reference to "white Australians " not understanding is something I disagree with. I think we have seen many stories similar to AJs. The sacking of Rendell years ago brought that issue to the forefront.

Can you please quote anything I have written in this thread which can be construed as racist or offensive?

This is what I'm talking about. I didn't call your posts offensive or racist, yet you're asking me to supply evidence, as though I've made that claim. You've been triggered onto one of your hobby horses. Re-read your posts and the ones you've quoted and then tell me that you're not diverting to agendas that are unrelated to the post you're quoting, which is what happened with your original posts and derailed the thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A man for our times.
What is the biggest current issue in Australian politics?
Is it submarines?
Is it China?
Is it cost of living?

No, no, it’s the indigenous voice to parliament.

So, given the opportunity to reshuffle the shadow cabinet, ironically because of a resignation based on support for voice, why not elevate indigenous members?

Would these people be elevated at any other time? Maybe because let’s face it, the opposition numbers are low and pretty much bereft of real talent.

But if anyone seriously believes these appointments are on merit need their head read.

Such a great lesson in proper vetting of candidates put up by the parties playing out in Victoria right now.
And it’s not isolated to the Libs of course. The Federal Greens have had much the same issue. Difference being the VIC Lib wants to stay in the party room.
Due diligence appears to be something political parties continually overlook.

I don’t understand the Vic Government’s decision or raise the age of criminal culpability from 10 to 12 and eventually to 14.
Who thinks that children have gone backwards in their understanding of criminal acts in the last few decades?
The access to media and research that children have today gives them the opportunity to understand that some actions have criminal repercussions.
And to reinforce my point;
While this article pushes the view that arrest is not the answer, I cannot get past this quote;
A record number of young people (aged 10 to 19) are now perpetrating violent crimes like robberies, assaults, sexual offences and murders, according to the Crime Statistics Agency.

And;
The situation has become so extreme that adolescents and early teenagers (aged 10-14) are the fastest-growing cohort of youth offenders involved in violent crime.

And;
Children as young as nine are pretending to stab each other in playgrounds, and high school students bring knives to class, they say.

“The reality is that what’s in their imagination is what’s showing up in street crime as well,” youth worker Michael Lowe says. “Instead of punching someone in the head, now the fantasy is to stab someone.”

This may become the biggest mistake legacy of the Andrews government.

I don’t understand the Vic Government’s decision or raise the age of criminal culpability from 10 to 12 and eventually to 14.
Who thinks that children have gone backwards in their understanding of criminal acts in the last few decades?
The access to media and research that children have today gives them the opportunity to understand that some actions have criminal repercussions.
And to reinforce my point;
While this article pushes the view that arrest is not the answer, I cannot get past this quote;

And;

And;

This may become the biggest mistake legacy of the Andrews government.
Probably because there ought to be other avenues for preventing these behaviours in children that aren’t the criminal justice system.

I’ve encountered the argument that judges will often encounter scenarios where keeping a child in the criminal justice system is a safer environment than sending them home. There should be a way to address that.

Probably because there ought to be other avenues for preventing these behaviours in children that aren’t the criminal justice system.

I’ve encountered the argument that judges will often encounter scenarios where keeping a child in the criminal justice system is a safer environment than sending them home. There should be a way to address that.
Doesn’t answer the base question.
Are todays youth less aware of the law than they were in the past?
I would argue that even 10 year olds have more of an understanding of the law and their “rights” today than they ever have been.
Social media and Google have all the answers for tech savvy children who easily can find out what penalties they face if they commit criminal acts. This decision just gives them more latitude.
You are very correct in the assertion that the justice system sometimes is caught between a rock and a hard place when deciding to send a child back to its present situation.
I just read this and it’s pretty disturbing.

Doesn’t answer the base question.
Are todays youth less aware of the law than they were in the past?
I would argue that even 10 year olds have more of an understanding of the law and their “rights” today than they ever have been.
Social media and Google have all the answers for tech savvy children who easily can find out what penalties they face if they commit criminal acts. This decision just gives them more latitude.
You are very correct in the assertion that the justice system sometimes is caught between a rock and a hard place when deciding to send a child back to its present situation.
I just read this and it’s pretty disturbing.
I am glad you recognise that The Andrew's government are capable of making some horrendous mistakes.

Kids know the difference between right and wrong. Raising the age of criminal culpability to 14 would mean that a 13 or 12 year old could steal a car, drive it recklessly, kill a couple of people and not be charged. I can't see that this sort of outcome would be acceptable to the general public.

Oh my.
There is simply no way out for Pesutto.
It’s take control of the party or let the extreme right condemn them to decades on the opposition benches.
If this woman gets her demands met Dan would consider standing again when the next election rolls around no matter any IBAC reports. It would be such an easy kill.

Good to see the State Liberals taking out the trash.

People like Moira Deeming only appeal to a rancid minority, whereas the Libs have work to do in convincing a majority of people that they can speak for them.

Good to see the State Liberals taking out the trash.

People like Moira Deeming only appeal to a rancid minority, whereas the Libs have work to do in convincing a majority of people that they can speak for them.
I thought it was a good thing.
But then I dug into the minutia of the vote and found that 1 in 3 of the party room voted to keep her.
That simply means this isn’t over. The rats will continue to nibble at the fabric of the party.
Which is bad for them and the state.

I thought it was a good thing.
But then I dug into the minutia of the vote and found that 1 in 3 of the party room voted to keep her.
That simply means this isn’t over. The rats will continue to nibble at the fabric of the party.
Which is bad for them and the state.

No doubt.

And also consider that the much of the angst direct at Moira is because she is threatening legal action against Johnny P. Legal suits against the leader don't play too well.

But today's outcome is still a good one. The moderates got up against the 'conservatives', and the public line of Pesutto --not letting a hateful few dictate policy-- is positive.

I don't have a need to know more.

If the majority of the Indigenous community support it then I will be voting yes.

Sorry, but this is a head in sand approach. You need to do a personal deeper dive. Not everything is how it seems. Look at how they have backflipped on so much of the Covid rhetoric. Just a flu they say. But who listened to the people that were trying to shout this from the rooftops early on?

My point being, don’t believe everything you are told. How will you know the broader Aboriginal community will be voting yes? Because some poll on the MSM told you so?

No disrespect in my post intended, just do your own critical thinking with this one. as it could have some massive ramifications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad