All things Politics

Remove this Banner Ad

It is recognised that this is a fraught topic for any number of you posting here. Some of you will have family in Israel or Palestine. Some of you will have connections to either side of the conflict. What you need to understand is that this site has rules governing posting standards and the appropriate way to talk to other posters, and you will abide by them.

How this interacts with this thread is that the following will result in your post being deleted, with a recurrence of the same behaviour resulting in (depending on severity) a threadban for a week and a day off:
  • direct labelling of someone as anti-semitic or a terrorist sympathiser for posting that is merely critical of Israel's response over time. Israel has the right to defend themselves from violence, but that does not mean that Israel has carte blanche to attack disproportionately towards people under their care.
  • deliberate goading or flippant responses, designed to get people reacting to your posting emotionally.
  • abuse.
  • attempts to turn this into a Left vs Right shitfight.
  • Use the word 'Nazi' in here, you had better be able to justify it in the post you're making and the comparison had better be apt. Godwin's law is in full effect for the purposes of this thread; if you refer to Nazis, you've lost whatever argument you're involved in.
  • Any defense of Hamas' actions on the basis of justification. There's no justification for genocide, regardless of whether or not they have the power to do so.
Please recognise that this is a difficult time for all involved, and some level of sensitivity is absolutely required to permit discussion to flow. From time to time, mods will reach out to specific posters and do some welfare checks; we may even give posters who get a bit too involved some days off to give people some time to cool down. This is not a reflection on you as a poster, merely that this is an intense subject.

I get that this is a fairly intense topic about which opinion can diverge rather significantly. If you feel you cannot be respectful in your disagreement with another poster, it is frequently better to refuse to engage than it is to take up the call.

From this point, any poster who finds themselves directly insulting another poster will find themselves receiving a threadban and an infraction, with each subsequent reoccurance resulting in steadily more points added to your account.

It has also become apparent that this needs to be said: just because someone moderates this forum that does not hold them to a different standard of posting than anyone else. All of us were posters first, and we are allowed to hold opinions on this and share them on this forum.

Treat each other with the respect each of you deserve.

Maggie5 Gone Critical Anzacday Jen2310

if you look back, SR, I was telling wipey about a german lecturer's theory about the rise of hitler, because the wipey had referenced a japanese professor who had theories about the nuclear bomb drops on japan. I wasn't a discussion about what happened in post WW2, because very little of what happened after WW2 had an impact on hitler's rise to power.
Are you being particularly thick?

Post www2 stuff is just mentioned to suggest that they changed approach post ww2, as they felt the harshness of Versailles had helped to contribute to the rise of Nazis - it's adding credibility to your crout lecturers theory.

Are you being particularly thick?

Post www2 stuff is just mentioned to suggest that they changed approach post ww2, as they felt the harshness of Versailles had helped to contribute to the rise of Nazis - it's adding credibility to your crout lecturers theory.

SR i was just restating an opinion by the german lecturer. Where's that ilovethepies guy when you need him. i'm not good at this role...

I have a question to the smart people here because I cant work it out....

I was baptised a roman catholic and went to their schools but I never believed in it. I stopped going to mass when i reached my teens and I didnt have to go in the car with my parents...

Now I'm an atheist/agnostic depending on your argument. I certainly think that the concept of jesus being a god is beyond a party trick

so am I still a roman catholic? Would the pope consider me a roman catholic?

I was baptised a roman catholic and went to their schools but I never believed in it. I stopped going to mass when i reached my teens and I didnt have to go in the car with my parents...

Now I'm an atheist/agnostic depending on your argument. I certainly think that the concept of jesus being a god is beyond a party trick

You're whatever you want to be called Markymark.

You've got the shared cultural experiences of Catholicism- so you're Catholic if you want to be, or you can focus on the belief aspect and then you're not.

Vatican 2 made Catholicism a spectrum - with lesser and greater connection to the church, rather than a binary condition. Pope probably views you as Catholic with a low connection - he's praying for you.

You're whatever you want to be called Markymark.

You've got the shared cultural experiences of Catholicism- so you're Catholic if you want to be, or you can focus on the belief aspect and then you're not.

Vatican 2 made Catholicism a spectrum - with lesser and greater connection to the church, rather than a binary condition. Pope probably views you as Catholic with a low connection - he's praying for you.

so if i call myself a catholic then i'm a catholic...even if i'm agnostic

how about if i wasn't even raised as a catholic, and didnt go to communion and confession and never went to church...you could probably argue then that I haven't had cultural experiences...

what if i was just relying on my grandparents being catholic...that seems a pretty tenuous link

so if i call myself a catholic then i'm a catholic...even if i'm agnostic

how about if i wasn't even raised as a catholic, and didnt go to communion and confession and never went to church...you could probably argue then that I haven't had cultural experiences...

what if i was just relying on my grandparents being catholic...that seems a pretty tenuous link
Culture, ancestry and belief are all factors in who we are and how we define and categorise ourselves and others.

Is this a segue to question the legitimacy of the Jewish diaspora?

Culture, ancestry and belief are all factors in who we are and how we define and categorise ourselves and others.

Is this a segue to question the legitimacy of the Jewish diaspora?

well in part...because i was reading about zac efron and his movie with kidman...and i was just wondering if i could go to the world as jewish if my ancestry uncovered one...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s always there isn’t it? Just below the surface. Your use of ellipses, as if suggesting there is something more to say, is pretty soft.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

i had to work out what an ellipsis is... i dont know what i left out.. I was reading an article about zac efron who was brought up an agnostic and is evidently still an agnostic and I was thinking about him promoting himself as jewish. He seems to think it will help his movie career. I realise that you're still on a retainer, but I thought that was a logical assessment.

I would reckon you are a mad Mick. Believing is optional. If fact every regular poster here seems to have a dose of mad Mick. Mum was 1 of 11 and I can picture each of you as a family character. Catholic and mad. Its not a bad combo.

I would reckon you are a mad Mick. Believing is optional. If fact every regular poster here seems to have a dose of mad Mick. Mum was 1 of 11 and I can picture each of you as a family character. Catholic and mad. Its not a bad combo.

well i'm not denying the psychological damage that the catholic church did to me, but i never actually prayed to god...not even when i was a child so dont really associate myself with being a mad mick or any of the other labels that I've got in the last 9 months.

Zac Enfron, of course, is on the other side of the ledger. Apparently, he's agnostic. His parents brought him up as an agnostic....

and then he looks back at his grandparents and says that he's jewish. The only conclusion that I can make is that he wanted to be in movies. I cant think of another reason. And I must admit that i'm no expert in zac efron but apparently he's still an agnostic and calls himself jewish.

well i'm not denying the psychological damage that the catholic church did to me, but i never actually prayed to god...not even when i was a child so dont really associate myself with being a mad mick or any of the other labels that I've got in the last 9 months.

Zac Enfron, of course, is on the other side of the ledger. Apparently, he's agnostic. His parents brought him up as an agnostic....

and then he looks back at his grandparents and says that he's jewish. The only conclusion that I can make is that he wanted to be in movies. I cant think of another reason. And I must admit that i'm no expert in zac efron but apparently he's still an agnostic and calls himself jewish.

It might have cultural meaning as well as religious meaning to Zac.

As a teenager, I didn't always embrace my parent's heritage.

It might have cultural meaning as well as religious meaning to Zac.

As a teenager, I didn't always embrace my parent's heritage.

yeh but it seems his parents brought him up as agnostic....I see what you're saying and there might be some quirky thing that happened to him with reference to his grandparents.

As i understand it, he started out as a teen on disney. Maybe all the people around him was jewish and he wanted to fit in. That seems pretty logical.

yeh but it seems his parents brought him up as agnostic....I see what you're saying and there might be some quirky thing that happened to him with reference to his grandparents.

As i understand it, he started out as a teen on disney. Maybe all the people around him was jewish and he wanted to fit in. That seems pretty logical.

FFS. Why don't you bump an old Adam Goodes thread and question his Aboriginality - that's where you're currently at with Jewish.

The ongoings of the Fatima Payman story as outlined by the Age, might demonstrate a short sighted strategy for palestinian interests. To assemble candidates to run against Labor is obviously more winnable than doing a similar thing in liberal strongholds, but even if successful, the result will be a handful of isolated members and a probable improvement in the Liberal election chances, as that party is obviously not going to do anything positive for palestinians.

Palestinian-australians should probably take a leaf out of the jewish-australian playbook and ensure a broad range of supporters get pre-selected for the Labor party.....or even for both parties. Obviously, it's more difficult for a lobby group to usurp one that has been in place for decades but there's already a significant proportion of labor party supporters who are on the palestinian side. Should Fatima leave the party, it will leave them with a choice and many will stick with their long-standing support for a major party.

Its a friendly label Mad Mick. A cultural Mick if you grew up in that community it influences you like any community does. I have Jewish friends who strongly differentiate cultural from religious Jew. Whether you prayed or no hardly matters I reckon.

Its a friendly label Mad Mick. A cultural Mick if you grew up in that community it influences you like any community does. I have Jewish friends who strongly differentiate cultural from religious Jew. Whether you prayed or no hardly matters I reckon.

well i know catholic italian men who hardly went near a church who would consider themselves catholic because their women did....but that wasnt evident in what i was talking about yesterday.

My question was sparked by an article that i read yesterday but that was yesterday. The squad is closing in, as they do, and my curiosity turns to other things

The BBC report on the men in hats with hair and their attempts to dodge military service in israel is a good read.

I particularly liked one bit when a mother of a son who is doing his service said

“Netanyahu and his gang made a major judgement mistake on thinking they can dodge it,” she tells me. “Because once you enforce on half the population that you have to go to the army, you cannot enforce that the other half will not go to the army. It's not even secular versus religion. I see it as an equality issue. You can't make laws that make half a population, second grade citizens.”

Surely, she sees the irony in her last sentence

A video fell into my youtube universe and it was from CBN news saying that netinyahoo might mention the creation of a palestinian state in his lecture to congress....

CBN? christian broadcasting network...

So I watched and i was surprised when someone from the Palestinian Media Watch said that Palestinians didnt want two states....that Palestinians generally loved the October Hamas strike and loved all the rapes...

Palestinian Media Watch? ...well it says in its about section "PMW's reports on the Palestinian Authority's promotion and glorification of terror -- which include paying salaries to terrorists; naming schools, sporting events, and public spaces after terrorists; promoting terror in children's TV programs and schoolbooks, and so much more -- have fundamentally changed the way the world sees the Palestinian Authority."

"Founded in 1996, Palestinian Media Watch (PMW) is a non-profit Israeli research institute known internationally for its in-depth research of Palestinian society from a broad range of perspectives"

Some people just love killing....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back