Am I alone in thinking Gibbs is a better player than Murphy?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't get how Macaffer gets away with what he does.

I don't watch a whole heap of Collingwood but last night the umpires were fairly loose with their calls, both ways.
I saw a play where Judd was playing on Pendlebury and Judd basically had him by the arm and was trying to pull him away from the contest.

couldn't fault Murph's effort last night. Just once again, as per usual bar say, the opening bounce, he got absolutely no help.

That's not true.

At a ball up in the last quarter Gibbs hip and shouldered Macaffer out of the way which then allowed Murphy to get the ball, run along the boundary, kick inside 50 and we had a shot on goal. Someone please find this footage as it was awesome to see Gibbs do what he did.

There were numerous occasions where Judd tried too.

It's not that Murphy wasn't trying hard enough to shake the tag, it's just that he didn't know how or couldn't.

Gibbs would shake a tag now anyway because he is a contested ball winner now. Murph does both contested and uncontested but cops the oppositions best tagger every week, essentially by Murph taking the Op's no 1 tagger it frees up Gibbs, Simmo, Yaz and so on. Murphy is playing the team role so damn well and i think its easy to say he doesnt have an impact but he surely does.

Gibbs is in better form at the moment, but if it were a choice between the two of them at the top of their games, give me Murphy thanks.

I hope Murph is able to get back to his best....because I reckon so many people have forgotten just how good he can be.

Midfielders who can impact the scoreboard regularly aren't a dime a dozen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watch games a bit differently to most and look for different things - no knock on Gibb's game this year at all - but Murphy is (rightly) the player most opposition coaches fear the most.
This is it in a nut shell, who cares who we think is the better player, the opposition coaches put their #1 taggers on Murphy every week, until that changes Murphy is the better player.

The day the coaches are debating who to tag hard between Gibbs and Murphy the better we will become and if Yarran can throw his name in there too in a year or so all the better.

This is it in a nut shell, who cares who we think is the better player, the opposition coaches put their #1 taggers on Murphy every week, until that changes Murphy is the better player.

The day the coaches are debating who to tag hard between Gibbs and Murphy the better we will become and if Yarran can throw his name in there too in a year or so all the better.
That's simply not true. Gibbs has gotten the number one tag on a number of occasions.

If you are looking at their entire footy career so far, I think Gibbs has a better footy brain than Murphy.
But Murphy runs more and goes harder at the ball.

If you are just looking at 2014, Gibbs is way ahead of Murphy at the moment in terms of form.

Yes. Gibbs had the Shiels tag for the majority of the Hawthorn game. He was heavily tagged against Brisbane IIRC. He had the tag in Murphy's absence against GWS.
Hawthorn dont tag haven't for years, Shiels may have put extra attention into Gibbs, but Hawks are happy to go head to head with their midfield. Now Brisbane has dropped Andrew Raines they dont have a tagger and Murphy got 38 possessions and a goal, Gibbs 18 possessions. Yeah if Murphy is not playing the tag will go to Gibbs as it did vs GWS

Murphy has shown more leadership and grunt than an out of form Simpson who is our vice-captain. Marc wore the hit after getting in front of Cloke on at least two occasions. Yet people dare to call him soft.

That was a huge step forward for Murphy on Sunday night, hasn't really done that before but in a game where we were pretty much no chance to win selfless acts like those can lift the side to greater heights. That's what captaincy is all about. Captain leads the way the rest will follow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Am I alone in thinking Gibbs is a better player than Murphy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back