American Shae McNamara trying to make the Magpie Team!

Remove this Banner Ad

I sincerely wish him well but the fact is he is taking a spot of someone else who actually earns it.

It is a publicity stunt and one the AFL and the Pies are comfortable with, bottom line is he would not get a game of B Grade amatuer football if he walked in off the street.

But another nice feel good spread the word story for the AFL.

Feels like a bit of a publicity stunt? I'm not sure why though.

A 24 year old will ruck prospect will surely take 2 or 3 years to get to AFL standard, and then, will only play second string to Wood.

Hopefully he gets some run-time in the NAB cup, would be interesting to see his progression.

I sincerely wish him well but the fact is he is taking a spot of someone else who actually earns it.

"They took our jerbs!!!"

they%20took%20er%20jobs.jpg

He's not taking anyone's spot - international rookies don't come at the expense of an Aussie kid's spot on the list.

It is a publicity stunt and one the AFL and the Pies are comfortable with, bottom line is he would not get a game of B Grade amatuer football if he walked in off the street.

But another nice feel good spread the word story for the AFL.

****, can any of your ****ing plebs read?
He is an international rookie, he isn't taking anyone's spot, it would have been empty if we hadn't signed him.

Everyone back in the pile!

I would literally be amazed if he even made a half-decent VFL player.
Good on him for having a crack though, personally I'm surprised Collingwood have used a rookie spot when they could have just signed him to their VFL team and taken a more "normal" kid in the rookie draft.

"normal" kids can not take his spot as an INTERNATIONAL rookie...

Ive followed him from the 1st video he released to the last, i must say from watching the 1st video i thought id have a better chance of making it, but every videos got better and better.

He handballs quite well now, doesnt look awkward, his kickings improved a lot, still a long way to go with that skill though.

i rated him a 1/10 chance to make at the start, now i think he's 50/50 to play senior AFL football, he seems like a dedicated fella and just looking at the bloke you can tell he doesnt mind hard work.

apparently he has a 40" running vertical (39 and a half to be exact) and at 6"8 thats awesome, nicnats 6"6 and registered a 40" running vertical at draft camp (granted he was only 17/18 yrs old), there wouldnt be many 6"8 guys who could do that, black or white, he looks quick as well and seems to have pretty good ball handling skills.

go shae.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope he comes on in a big way, internationals taking up the game and doing well means only good for the sport.

Feels like a bit of a publicity stunt? I'm not sure why though.

A 24 year old will ruck prospect will surely take 2 or 3 years to get to AFL standard, and then, will only play second string to Wood.

Hopefully he gets some run-time in the NAB cup, would be interesting to see his progression.

I don't think your team really wants to meet up with the Pies with McNamara on the team. From the videos coming in, it looks like Shae is doing quite fine. It is ok to cheer U! S! SHAE! U! S! SHAE! :)

(I heard Carlton and Collingwood are like the Bears and Packers in the NFL).

I've gotta say the original AFL training video he put out made me chuckle.

But I'd be more than happy for him to prove me wrong. Very atheltic guy. And it's not like our own premiership ruckman has the best foot skills going around. Good luck to Shae.

This is the thing right here.

Half the ruckman going around are average with their skills anyway.

Guys like Hudson, Blake, Minson.

It's more about how he can ruck and how quickly he can learn where to position himself. Would also be very keen to develop defensive aspects of his game. At his speed and agility, he will be a difficult matchup.

But he has to learn the ruck side of his game asap.

Just going back reading this thread....and I have developed a new goal.

By the end of this thread...people will actually know what an international rookie means and will understand he actually does not take up a list spot at all...either senior or rookie list.

Infact, with 4 free rookie spots, I would not even be concerned if he did take a rookie spot because he is an interesting prospect.

I don't think your team really wants to meet up with the Pies with McNamara on the team. From the videos coming in, it looks like Shae is doing quite fine. It is ok to cheer U! S! SHAE! U! S! SHAE! :)

(I heard Carlton and Collingwood are like the Bears and Packers in the NFL).
Haha, we got bigger problems than being monstered in the ruck.

We'd struggle to beat Melbourne Victory without a FF.

Bret, all the best to you and your nephew (?) !!

And yes Blues and Pies are like the Bears and Packers, if the Bears and Packers are like Cats and Dogs, if you get what I'm saying.

Haha, we got bigger problems than being monstered in the ruck.

We'd struggle to beat Melbourne Victory without a FF.

Bret, all the best to you and your nephew (?) !!

And yes Blues and Pies are like the Bears and Packers, if the Bears and Packers are like Cats and Dogs, if you get what I'm saying.

Hi,

Yep, I am learning who are the "cat and dog" teams. But, I can tell you when ever the Bears and Packers play, they always seem to "spoil" the others year if that team is doing good. In fact, when the Bears hired their coach Smith, his goal that year was to be the Packers. Not the playoff, just to beat the Packers. And he did. And, when the Bears went on like a 13 and 3 season, the Packers beat them twice.

I think it makes the sport interesting when you have good story lines behind a game.

Remove this Banner Ad

American Shae McNamara trying to make the Magpie Team!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back