Division 1
Vic Metro
Vic Country
Western Australia

Division 2
South Australia
NSW/ACT
QLD/NT

Played once every 3 years, and each time it happens each division plays 2 matches, and if we like, the winner of division 2 players the loser of division 1, though that is more of a would be nice rather than a must have.

No chance.

It's a public relations stunt. Oh look at us we're real footy types.

****ing frauds.

We must be the only sport in the world that refuses to do representative football.

We are the A-League, and for some reason we are refusing to ever watch an International game of soccer, despite the considerably higher level of player quality.

We are the only sport that refuses to show our sport in as high a quality as it can possibly be. Every other sport that I can think of does it.

Absolutely insane idea. I get the feeling both Dillon and Kane won't be in their jobs very long. State of Origin is now an NRL thing, it's the rivalry between NSW & QLD. let them have it, they don't have anything else!
The AFL has a full national competition and has no room for any State of Origin games that would require the entire competition to close down for at least 2 weeks.
If they did bring it back, it can only work with Vic v SA and WA. It only worked in the 70s and 80s because the Croweaters and Sandgropers hated the Vics. No Allies teams or best of the rest stuff, it can only work if you have the fans 100% behind it. If they want to pursue this mad idea then close the comp down over the Kings birthday weekend and play it then..It's nuts!

Absolutely insane idea. I get the feeling both Dillon and Kane won't be in their jobs very long. State of Origin is now an NRL thing, it's the rivalry between NSW & QLD. let them have it, they don't have anything else!
The AFL has a full national competition and has no room for any State of Origin games that would require the entire competition to close down for at least 2 weeks.
If they did bring it back, it can only work with Vic v SA and WA. It only worked in the 70s and 80s because the Croweaters and Sandgropers hated the Vics. No Allies teams or best of the rest stuff, it can only work if you have the fans 100% behind it. If they want to pursue this mad idea then close the comp down over the Kings birthday weekend and play it then..It's nuts!

I think people underestimate just how good for the sport it would be in NSW and QLD to have AFL State of Origin. NRL can't have a Victorian State of Origin team but the AFL can not only have NSW and QLD State of Origin teams, but good ones too. The AFL can prove with State of Origin that it isn't just a Victorian sport, but it is a national sport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Make sure it is properly done.

I personally like

Division 1
Vic Metro
Vic Country
Western Australia

Division 2
South Australia
NSW/ACT
QLD/NT

Played once every 3 years, and each time it happens each division plays 2 matches, and if we like, the winner of division 2 players the loser of division 1, though that is more of a would be nice rather than a must have.
"Do it properly" and then, in the same post, suggest splitting Victoria into metro and country teams...

Staggering lack of self awareness.

Look its probably impracticle given the number of states that need to be represented compared to the RL SoO.

Not to mention the usual club concerns about their players being injured, but I notice the clubs don't complain about this in the RL version.

Despite all the naysayers, there would still be a significant amoount of interest and it would mean extra revenue and ratings for the AFL. Thats why Dillion may be interested.

The AFL version would offer a point of difference with states going up and down tiers based on performance.

So there are challenges but not necessarily insurmountable.

I think people underestimate just how good for the sport it would be in NSW and QLD to have AFL State of Origin. NRL can't have a Victorian State of Origin team but the AFL can not only have NSW and QLD State of Origin teams, but good ones too. The AFL can prove with State of Origin that it isn't just a Victorian sport, but it is a national sport.
SA v WA would also be a fascinating duel. Plus if you rotate it with Gather round, both states would be able to have something big each season.

Yes, and none of the games during the season would have the quality of a State of Origin match. It is like saying "we have a full A-League season, so why would you want to watch the Socceroos play"

We have interstate teams playing every week.

The whole concept of state rivalry is utter cringe.

Like that NRL crap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back