News Andrew Russell leaves Hawks to join Blues, effective immediately - No trolling

Remove this Banner Ad

Disappointing to hear that Jack Russell is gone.....well that came out of nowhere !!

I'm surprised that there was no mention by the club or Clarko.

They probably weren't expecting the half drunk vice captain to mention it. I daresay they would have had the announcement scheduled for sometime soon.

Russell has been great, he also has a team of fitness staff that have been learning from him and that the players respect as much as him. Hopefully one of them gets promoted

Staggered he didn’t mention him in his speech.

Im a bit surprised also. Maybe it is a mistake.

But then again, Clarko' speech talked about the "churn" of talent into and out of the club. Russell could have been on his mind. My prediction would be that if Russell is leaving he is not making a lateral move to another club.

Staggered he didn’t mention him in his speech.

Staggered Smith was dumb enough to mention it in his. Clearly the club didn't want to disclose this during a sensitive trade period. You'd hope we wouldn't hoodwink an incoming player who was arriving because of what he thought Russell could do for him, but Russell was still a part of the overall "well run club" story, and we've just lost a piece of that. Generally I love Smith's honesty and openness in the media, but this seems like a **** up.

Staggered Smith was dumb enough to mention it in his. Clearly the club didn't want to disclose this during a sensitive trade period. You'd hope we wouldn't hoodwink an incoming player who was arriving because of what he thought Russell could do for him, but Russell was still a part of the overall "well run club" story, and we've just lost a piece of that. Generally I love Smith's honesty and openness in the media, but this seems like a **** up.
I'm also a bit baffled. Surely we wouldn't want this info getting out until we have secured all trades and deals. How bizarre

I'm also a bit baffled. Surely we wouldn't want this info getting out until we have secured all trades and deals. How bizarre

I dont think it would impact on the Shiel effort. Surely they would have to be up front with someone like that. Not a great look if you talk up Russell as someone who can help with that side of things knowing he is leaving.

I dont think it would impact on the Shiel effort. Surely they would have to be up front with someone like that. Not a great look if you talk up Russell as someone who can help with that side of things knowing he is leaving.
Oh for sure, it's not like we are going to hoodwink potential recruits. I just mean it's just not the best timing I would have thought. Surely this means we have our targets already...

The biggest win this trade period is Sam Mitchell. We all saw the genius when he played, now we will witness the coach. By all accounts he helped transform the Eagles. I don't think I've ever heard a group of players praising a coach so much before. They all mentioned how Sammy helped them become better players. Welcome back Sam Mitchell, Hawthorn legend. Hawthorn premiership player and coach, sounds nice

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Presidents & Prime Ministers are replaced. We move on. The Club waits for no one.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
What more could Russell do for us? He has to keep challenging himself, and it would be more of the same at Hawthorn. Puts Clarko's speech tonight about churn in some context. Going to a new club that has a shit injury record is a challenge. Good on him, thanks for everything, move on.

Didn't take afl.com long to declare Russell is headed elsewhere

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-06/key-hawks-staffer-poached-by-another-club

The interesting bit for me is that they think he's still contracted and so we are in negotiations with the other club for him to be released. GWS have had terrible runs with injuries and would be desperate for someone like him there. Is there any reason why we couldn't make him part of the deal for Shiel?

Another possibility is that we've made a deal with WC so that they release Sam from his contract and we release Russell from his.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Andrew Russell leaves Hawks to join Blues, effective immediately - No trolling

Remove this Banner Ad

Back