Injury Andrew Swallow confirmed ruptured Achilles tendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Depending who you listen to or read spitta will play round one or not be back to almost finals 2014. Hope the early recovery option is correct.

The tendon will heal in 4 to 8 weeks so he will be doing the pre-season with us, it will just be a modified pre-season is my guess to put less strain on his ankle.

You just don't want to put the strain on it in terms of footballer level stress on it for anywhere from 4 to 12 months. 12 months is for those who have complications or are slow healers like McIntosh was with his tendons. If he heals quickly then he may be right for start of the season but they will probably take things cautiously.

For anybody interested I posted this in the deleted thread.

http://www.uwhealth.org/files/uwhealth/docs/sportsmed/SM-27399_AchillesTendonProtocol.pdf

Up to date, this article includes an easy to read 5 phase recovery programme that may be something similar to what Andy could expect.

We're due for a little change of luck this year and hearing that the scans have shown only a partial tear would be music to the ears of Steve Saunders and all concerned.

Terrible news, one of those blokes you just have to respect and can't dislike.

Would be wary of putting a time frame on him coming back, tends to vary I think, Roughy got back pretty quickly from memory, while with Foley it took a bit longer, although keep in mind he was coming back from an injury at the time he did it so perhaps that makes it seem longer then it was. Good news is that Roughy is playing as well as he ever has and Foley is slowly but surely getting back into that form a few years back where he was a seriously good player. Also a positive to note that by all reports Foley has not lost any of his speed and in recent weeks we have started to see that explosiveness come back into his game. So it seems like it is an injury that you can pretty much completely recover from.

Wish the best to Andrew and hope to see him lead the roos out sooner then later :thumbsu:

With the easy draw and top 4 finish we inherit next year, why rush the champ back? Aim for the last 6 weeks of the season and have him cherry ripe for the prelim.

Best wishes Spitta, you are a champ and have gone through a lower leg LTI already and come blazing out the other side.

Do ya reckon Majak Daw will step up and be captan? ;)

I think this calls for a Facebook poll.

All the best for a speedy recovery Spitta. I'm tipping that he'll spend a fair bit of his rehab time in the coaches' box on match days and will come back a better player for it.

I think this calls for a Facebook poll.

All the best for a speedy recovery Spitta. I'm tipping that he'll spend a fair bit of his rehab time in the coaches' box on match days and will come back a better player for it.

So many jokes about ruining his career, so little time.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2013-07-29/swallows-road-to-recovery

Andrew Swallow arrived home from achilles surgery on Monday afternoon and according to Director of Medical Services Steve Saunders, the procedure went to plan.

"He's recovering really well. It's fantastic the surgeon (Dr Mark Blackney) was able to book him in early Sunday morning and get the achilles repaired straight away," Saunders told NMFC.com.au.

"The surgery went really smoothly, the surgeon was really happy with the end result and now Andrew has to rest at home for the next week or so before we get him into rehab."

PRESS PLAY above to watch the incident |
YouTube

Saunders said the recuperation process is crucial.

"He'll be in a backslab (plaster cast) for a couple of weeks and then he'll go into a boot. He'll start taking partial weight through the boot at about week three or four.

"He'll be pretty mobile quickly but there's obviously a very careful and gradual loading program that needs to be done over many months. The short term plan initially is just to let the repair heal and let nature do its thing."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's assisted running that Steve's referring to. I wouldn't be expecting him to play seniors until round 5-10 best case.
yea but roughead took 9 months from when he did the same injury to playing again so 9 months from now is around march and round 1 assuming no setback along the way

I thought Robbo had an interesting idea of rotating the captaincy to give different guys the chance to lead than just jack ziebell like Basti, Wells, Scotty Thompson and possibly Cunners.
Might not be a bad idea.

I thought Robbo had an interesting idea of rotating the captaincy to give different guys the chance to lead than just jack ziebell like Basti, Wells, Scotty Thompson and possibly Cunners.
Might not be a bad idea.
No. There is one man to lead in Spitta's absence. And it could be the best thing that ever happened to him.

We can all take solace in one thing.

He is in exceptionally good hands. The hands of Steve Saunders.

Good point HH. He'll be ready for the *bummers' game this year. No genuine North man would miss that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury Andrew Swallow confirmed ruptured Achilles tendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back