Anti-AFL thread - post here

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Mark Rudd
I've already stated Sid why RL crowds are lower mainly in Sydney. Sydney RL fans prefer small surburban grounds than big stadiums. Simple.
If thats the case, how come your games never sell out? You have stated this before and its pretty lame, plus its appauling compared to AFL.

You say Sydney people love Suburban grounds, why dont they turn up and support your theory?

Originally posted by LebaneseForces
Its not more national... Having bigger crowds mean **** all dude... Ive stated my opinion on this quiet a few times in the past.
On the TV ratings... Country NSW and QLD have HUGE populations... Add them too NRL ratings and we **** all over you.
Mate im not gonna argue with you any more. You've just shown a full lacking of common sense. I dont know if you have just had a brain melt or someting but please dont reply to this, and i'll try not to talk to you.

Originally posted by Mark Rudd
I've already stated Sid why RL crowds are lower mainly in Sydney. Sydney RL fans prefer small surburban grounds than big stadiums. Simple.

AFL fans prefer bigger stadiums. Funnily enough, right here at Bigfooty, fans stated it was because of the 'atmosphere', not the game that attracts them. Doesnt say much for AR really does it?

{Your stats}

Not bad for something that aint 'National'.
You seem like a much smarter person to argue with.

What do u think is more of a follower of a sport?
a) a person that goes to the game or...
b) someone that turns a tv on

I watch a game of soccer on SBS cos I love sport. Theres two teams that i have never heard of but i still enjoy the game. Do I count as a fan of some team called Ajax (somewhere in europe i think)?

I watched the NRL final last year, but do i sound like an NRL fan?

To be considered a real statistic of a sport, you have to attend the game. Some old woman (or anyone else for that matter) falling asleep on the couch with the NRL on doesnt count.

After all, the success of a sport relies heavily on revenue. I havent checked but im sure AFL revenue is greater than NRL (corrent me if im wrong).

How can you call league national if its only on one half of the nation? What happened to that adelaide team and that perth team?

Also, thanks Mickey, for raising my other point.

Originally posted by Mickey
Yeah, but do they all follow the Bulldogs? A percentage of those have joined because they want to have a meal at a club that is close to home and a punt on the pokies. I know with most leagues clubs if you live within a certain km range you cant get in unless you are a member or signed in by one. That figure cant compare with members of AFL clubs as it is totally different.
If you want get down to that level of detail, one might ask do all AFL club members support that team?

How do you explain those with memberships of 2 or 3 different teams?

Perhaps a primary motivation for purchasing memberships is to gain greater access to Grand Final seats?

Originally posted by littleduck
What generates more income for the game?
a) gate receipts or..
b) broadcast rights?

Does AFL or NRL generate more revenue? I honestly dont know this stat.

If you want get down to that level of detail, one might ask do all AFL club members support that team?

How do you explain those with memberships of 2 or 3 different teams?

Perhaps a primary motivation for purchasing memberships is to gain greater access to Grand Final seats?

A person who pays for membership, goes to the game has a better chance of being a genuine fan than someone who turns on the TV.

Originally posted by Sid
I watched the NRL final last year, but do i sound like an NRL fan?
Were the massive numbers of viewing in Brisbane tuning into the Lions v Magpies match in prime time the other Thursday all Lions and/or AFL fans?

The answer is the same as you gave after watching the NRL GF.

After all, the success of a sport relies heavily on revenue. I havent checked but im sure AFL revenue is greater than NRL (corrent me if im wrong).
Fact: In recent years, AFL revenue exceeds NRL revenue.

How can you call league national if its only on one half of the nation?
League dominates half the country. Aussie Rules dominates half the country. AR has a far greater presence in League states than the other way around, therefore:
- Both NRL & AFL can rightfully claim to be national competitions
- However, AFL can claim to be more national, but not truly national.
- The only truly national football competition will be the new APL because of the relatively even spread of teams around the nation.

Simple.

What happened to that adelaide team and that perth team?
Victims of the ARL/Super League Peace Agreement.

South Australia & Western Australia would seem to be lost forever, and it would appear that expansion into those States is not part of the NRL's plans in the foreseeable future.

Whilst I think it was disgraceful to chop the Western Reds, Adelaie Rams & Gold Coast Chargers, I am comfortable with any decision to abandon any future expansion to WA &/or SA, but NOT the Gold Coast who should/will be admitted as the 16th team some time in the coming months.

Were the massive numbers of viewing in Brisbane tuning into the Lions v Magpies match in prime time the other Thursday all Lions and/or AFL fans?
The answer is the same as you gave after watching the NRL GF.
Agree, but u misunderstood my argument. I was arguing about the fact that TV viewers mean less than the real passionate fans. Although i admit that the fact is to your credit, I think it has less significance.

Whilst I think it was disgraceful to chop the Western Reds, Adelaie Rams & Gold Coast Chargers, I am comfortable with any decision to abandon any future expansion to WA &/or SA, but NOT the Gold Coast who should/will be admitted as the 16th team some time in the coming months.

Dont you think this is a bit of a defensive move? As there is not enough interest in SA and WA, you have simply retreated to your main base.

The AFL on the other hand, has one of its main goals to work in its development in QLD and more importantly, NSW/ACT. I think this is a more positive sign from the AFL. What do u think has a higher chance of success - a game promoting in one area of a country, or a game promoting in the whole country (knowing it has pretty much secured what it has already)?

I have a feeling this super league must have screwed your game over.

Also, what is the APL?

Originally posted by Sid
Agree, but u misunderstood my argument. I was arguing about the fact that TV viewers mean less than the real passionate fans. Although i admit that the fact is to your credit, I think it has less significance.
You are right, viewers dont automatically equal passionate fans. Nevertheless, ratings are ratings and Networks suck sponsorship $$$ out of sponsors based on those ratings regardless.

Dont you think this is a bit of a defensive move? As there is not enough interest in SA and WA, you have simply retreated to your main base.
Perhaps, but consider the NRL are currently in the process of expanding into New Zealand and Victoria. Certainly, they could do alot more in Victorian, but things are progressing really well in New Zealand. Indeed, we have Wellington as 1 of 3 serious bidders for the 16th NRL licence, particularly with some unknown Belgium Billionaire overly interested in a team.

The AFL on the other hand, has one of its main goals to work in its development in QLD and more importantly, NSW/ACT. I think this is a more positive sign from the AFL. What do u think has a higher chance of success - a game promoting in one area of a country, or a game promoting in the whole country (knowing it has pretty much secured what it has already)?
AFL will remain ahead of the NRL for the foreseeable future, but consider historical factors such as the RL/RU divide in NSW/QLD, whereas the AFL is practically the only game in town in VIC/SA/WA. Not surprisingly, AFL is therefore better able to focus its efforts on non-traditional States, knowing that its game is practically unchallenged in its heartland. The only threats to AFL are soccer (fat chance?), the Storm (already withstood the challenge?), a 4th and/or 5th Super 12 team in VIC and/or WA (which is a legitimate threat to sponsorship $$$ traditionally reserved to AFL clubs I believe, particularly the weaker Melbourne-based clubs who may lose sponsors to an international S12 team, thereby accelerating their demise or permanent relocation smoewhere North).

I have a feeling this super league must have screwed your game over.
I reluctantly admit your feeling is 100% correct. Super League had an excellent vision for the game, but its execution was poor and clearly damaged the game. Super Leage effectively accelerated rationalisation of Sydney Clubs with simultaneous expansion into new Cities/States.

Unfortunately, the Sydney based clubs (who were arguably the cause of SL, even though the Broncos started it) have regained their former power and the Sydney-centric attitude of administrators is just as prevalant as it use to be pre-Super League.

Also, what is the APL?
The new "Australian Premier League" (soccer comp) which hasn't started yet? Is it called the APL or something different?

Originally posted by MagpiePower
What are you on about? Answer the question? What does the N in NRL stand for? After all it is your so-called game that uses that terminology not us in AFL. We just call your game crap!

Maybe it should be called IRL, I for international because of the NZ invlovement.

Or if you like, ARL again. A for Australiasian.

Plenty of options for the Greatest Game of All!

Notice how the only AFL fans continually giving to league on these forums are the ones that live in Sydney?

No wonder they are angry. Their sport is only a minor blip on the Sydney sporting map.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Sid
Mate im not gonna argue with you any more. You've just shown a full lacking of common sense. I dont know if you have just had a brain melt or someting but please dont reply to this, and i'll try not to talk to you.

Thank God... :)

Get over the tv ratings and crowd figures... It's been argued a hundred times and if you weren't here then to bad... Lets just talk Rugby League.

Originally posted by Crooked Rain
Notice how the only AFL fans continually giving to league on these forums are the ones that live in Sydney?

No wonder they are angry. Their sport is only a minor blip on the Sydney sporting map.

Very good observation mate. But its not because we are jealous ur game overruns ours in NSW. Its because the constant crap we cop from league fans about a game that is nationally better.

They have no idea about the game, nor the fact that it is more skill-orientated than that physical stuff. Which, as a result, makes us ****s.

I was informed that Manly is one of the most hated teams in the NRL. What have they done?
I would have thought bulldogs are hated.

Originally posted by Sid
Very good observation mate. But its not because we are jealous ur game overruns ours in NSW. Its because the constant crap we cop from league fans about a game that is nationally better.

They have no idea about the game, nor the fact that it is more skill-orientated than that physical stuff. Which, as a result, makes us ****s.

I was informed that Manly is one of the most hated teams in the NRL. What have they done?

About 10 years ago Manly were...

The team i love to hate personally is Parramatta (Obviously Bulldogs supporters cant stand Parra supporters and vice-versa)... As a Eels supporter at work says..." i was born to hate Canterbury" hahaha...

No one has said nothing about us being more national then u... You arent the dominate code throughtout ALL of Australia and neither is the NRL...

You guys RULE - Vic, SA, WA
We Rule - NSW, QLD & ACT (Although not anymore Brumbies have taken over imo, but i think they will lose it soon)...

Originally posted by Sid
Mud-slinging goes both ways. It's called parochialism.

That's the traditional view of the game, yes. But the barriers are "slowly" breaking down as more ppl become exposed to AFL for the very first time in their life.

Goes way back to the days when Manly use to buy premierships (open chequebook on other teams star players) and were perceived to run the League (Arko & co.) They didn't get the nickname "silvertails" for nothing.

you either love manly or you HATE manly.

I HATE MANLY! :)

I hate the Bulldogs too! :) (not as much as manly)

Goes way back to the days when Manly use to buy premierships (open chequebook on other teams star players) and were perceived to run the League (Arko & co.) They didn't get the nickname "silvertails" for nothing.

Sounds like the Roosters of today...
Mini
Hegerty
Walker = New contract this year
Wing
Fitzgibbon
Morley
Fittler
Crocker
Hodges
Finch is on big money
Cayless

Those players alone will be close to 3.25million... and you still have too fit another 14 players...
But wait here is the funny thing there after Ali Lautiiti aswell... And like all their signings they play for a reduced salary too be in a good team:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
ROOSTERS = RORTERS

unfortunately i don't think Manly are the team people love to hate anymore.... going to Brookvale these days there isn't a feeling that the opposing fans MUST WIN AT ALL COSTS. The game against Parra last Sunday, you get the feeling there isnt such a hate between Manly and Parra anymore which is a shame, because i think, due to recent years in the doldrums and the failed merger, we are getting more like Souths in that people pity us :eek:

Though ParraJesus is a bloody legend i have to say, he was giving it to the cheersquad, and all good natured too!

Those players alone will be close to 3.25million... and you still have too fit another 14 players...
But wait here is the funny thing there after Ali Lautiiti aswell... And like all their signings they play for a reduced salary too be in a good team:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
ROOSTERS = RORTERS
IS Walker on an upgraded contract this year? you'd have to think so, but Stuart has said that Lauititi would be on a second tiered contract if he chose to play with the goosters.

No one has said nothing about us being more national then u... You arent the dominate code throughtout ALL of Australia and neither is the NRL...

Not a good argument, its overall that counts. At randwick golf course, golf is the most popular sport. Exaggeration but u get my point.

Originally posted by Sid
Not a good argument, its overall that counts. At randwick golf course, golf is the most popular sport. Exaggeration but u get my point.

If u wanna do it that way...
In NSW & QLD & ACT overall RL is ALOT more popular then AFL ALOT MORE POPULAR!!!!!!!!!!!!

NSW-QLD & ACT = MORE THEN 50% OF AUSTRALIAN POPULATION... If you wanna do it that way...

If u wanna do it that way...
In NSW & QLD & ACT overall RL is ALOT more popular then AFL ALOT MORE POPULAR!!!!!!!!!!!!

NSW-QLD & ACT = MORE THEN 50% OF AUSTRALIAN POPULATION... If you wanna do it that way...

You are going around in circles mate. Population doesnt mean everyone supports RL. I know RL is bigger in NSW and QLD. Stop putting ACT as another state, its absolutely hopeless. Just say NSW and i will assume you include ACT in that. It makes RL bigger than it really is.

In the end, its overall that counts.

Originally posted by Sid
You are going around in circles mate. Population doesnt mean everyone supports RL. I know RL is bigger in NSW and QLD. Stop putting ACT as another state, its absolutely hopeless. Just say NSW and i will assume you include ACT in that. It makes RL bigger than it really is.

In the end, its overall that counts.

I believe it was YOU that said and i quote... "Not a good argument, its overall that counts. At randwick golf course, golf is the most popular sport. Exaggeration but u get my point."

In NSW & QLD & ACT (RL is More popular then AFL), RL is the most popular sport OVERALL.. Im just using your theory!!
And isnt it Overall that counts??? as you said:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back