Anti-AFL thread - post here

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
let's get back to reality, canberra is a union town and the brumbies are the main game in town.

noone really cares about rugby league and the raiders anymore, just look at the pathetic home crowds they pull, compared to the huge pre war crowds.

uncle rupert isn't dumb, he could see the writing on the wall, that's why he off loaded the raiders last year. i expect the raiders to fold within the next couple of years.

Union is Australia is spluttering badly. No FTA TV for Super 12 proves conclusively that to the vast majority of Australians, Super 12 is a non-event.

You can't have a RWC every year.

Originally posted by noodnuts
let's get back to reality, canberra is a union town and the brumbies are the main game in town.

noone really cares about rugby league and the raiders anymore, just look at the pathetic home crowds they pull, compared to the huge pre war crowds.

uncle rupert isn't dumb, he could see the writing on the wall, that's why he off loaded the raiders last year. i expect the raiders to fold within the next couple of years.

So what happens after Super 12 then? How many people get to watch the Canberra side in the local Brisbane union comp?

What about those games the Brumbies play after Super 12? Nobody cares.

Yeah, Canberra is a union town.

The best career move for Lote would be to return to the Broncos for 2 years, play Origin for Queensland as well... then return to Union 12 months before the next Rugby World Cup.

Mat Rogers is considering switching back to League because he finds training at Coffs Harbour and everywhere else absolutely boring. Doesn't help matters when he sees his League mates busting a gut week in week out.

Furthermore, Union no longer has the carrot of "playing on a world stage" to attract & retain League players.

In a post-WC yaer it's back to the same ol setup. A dozen Super 12 games, with 6 at home, pllus finals if your good enough (only ever applies to Brumbies).

If your lucky enough to make the Wallabies there is the excitement of months of training at Coffs Harbour to prepare yourself for another 4 or 5 games.

Furthermore, when those ex-Leagueis do actually manage to play a game, they are lucky if they handle the ball 3 or times per game instread of 15 or 20 times in a League game.

It's obvious the switch was "$$$ & World Cup". Now in a non-WC year that only leaves the $$$ as the motivating reason to stay in Union. No wonder players are looking to play NRL again..

No amount of $$$ makes up for the boredom factor... or does it?

Originally posted by E.A.
AFL has just about conquered Qld?

AFL has done nothing of the sort. What do you base your theory on?

First of all, Queensland isn't Brisbane. Outside of Brisbane, AFL barely rates a mention.

Secondly, whilst the Bears are winning premierships, they'll draw in Brisbane, when they stop being successful, the crowds will dwindle, exactly the same as happens to the Swans.

Thirdly, there is no AFL equivalent of SOO, Brisbane TV blockbuster.

Fourthly.
NRL Grand Final rating for 2003: Brisbane 638,165.
AFL Grand Final Rating for 2003: Brisbane 575,200.

Brisbane were in the AFL Grand Final and weren't in the NRL Grand Final, yet the NRL rated higher than the ARL.

Fifthly,

NRL Grand Final rating for 2003: Melbourne 488,838
AFL Grand Final rating for 2003: Sydney 352,200

More people watched the NRL Grand Final in Melbourne than watched the AFL Grand Final in Sydney.

Deal in facts next time.

http://www.oztam.com.au/downloads/pdfs/archived/weeklyresults/2003/051003/e_20031005.pdf

http://www.oztam.com.au/downloads/pdfs/archived/weeklyresults/2003/210903/e_20030921.pdf

I admit not finding some facts mate, and to making exaggerations, but I have some points to make also.

1. Why did more melbourne ppl watch the nrl final than sydney ppl watch the AFL?

Because AFL finished earlier and people had nothing better to do in terms of following sport. You guys have the advantage of having AFL fans watch the NRL final because our season ends earlier than yours. This also gives reason to why ur statistic rates so close to ours in my next point.

2. This statistic should shut u up overall:
AFL final 2003 total = 2965600
NRL final 2003 total = 2351626

keep working on it mate

Originally posted by Sid
1. Why did more melbourne ppl watch the nrl final than sydney ppl watch the AFL?

Because AFL finished earlier and people had nothing better to do in terms of following sport. You guys have the advantage of having AFL fans watch the NRL final because our season ends earlier than yours.
Perhaps the 500,000 odd viewers of the NRL GF and the 400,000 odd audience for the AFL GF in Sydney is because both Grand Finals are traditionally great Australian games of national significance. There is no bigger event than a Football Grand Final of the 2 major codes in Australia. Even those who generally take minimal interest in their "other" code durnig the H&A season, will usually be interested in who wins the Grand Final.

This also gives reason to why ur statistic rates so close to ours in my next point.

2. This statistic should shut u up overall:

keep working on it mate
Very nice detailed description of the 5 capital cities total audience.

Don't regional viewers count? the NRL GF generally rates higher when ALL australians are accounted for.

What about New Zealand? 4.5 million viewers across Australia & New Zealand for the NRL GF.

The NRL GF is unchallenged as the premier football GRand FInal in Australasia (Aust, NZ & PNG combined)

I regurgitate what i wrote a while ago:

Originally posted by Pantsless
I'm a little confused.

See, I hear from most on this boards about how much RL outrates AFL, but then I hear from the same people that OZTam is not a national ratings guide.

Well I checked that. According to the Aus Film & TV institute, OZTam is the official ratings guide to Australian TV.

So you're happy to quote ratings figures when RL wins on a Friday night, but when AFL outrates the NRL, all we hear is bleating about, "Oh, they're not the national ratings", "they don't include this bit of Oz or that bit of Oz"

In conclusion, you're proud as punch when you win, but cry like a 5 yr old girl who's lost her dolly when you lose.

And, the ratings figures are FOR AUSTRALIA ONLY.

I can imagine you reading the last post going, "Damn the GayFL beat us in the ratings. I'll just quote the ratings FROM ANOTHER COUNTRY and make myself look good"

Pathetic, really pathetic.

So you're happy to quote ratings figures when RL wins on a Friday night, but when AFL outrates the NRL, all we hear is bleating about, "Oh, they're not the national ratings", "they don't include this bit of Oz or that bit of Oz"
No. In any event, when you posted that reply I think the thread was about comparing Melbourne ratings for AFL with Sydney ratings for NRL which showed AFL ahead more times during the year, but it was closer than most ppl originally thought.

And, the ratings figures are FOR AUSTRALIA ONLY.
Yeah, OzTam are the official Australian ratings, but cover the 5 metropolitan capital cities. That might be acceptable to TV Networks in attracting sponsorships etc, but for our purposes, why exclude regional viewers as if they don't matter?

I can imagine you reading the last post going, "Damn the GayFL beat us in the ratings. I'll just quote the ratings FROM ANOTHER COUNTRY and make myself look good"
Yeah, it's called spin. But it's no different to AFL types such as yourself who continually wish to confine comparisons to the OzTam 5 capital cities figure because you know you will always win.

Pathetic, really pathetic.
Indeed it is.

Originally posted by littleduck
Yeah, it's called spin. But it's no different to AFL types such as yourself who continually wish to confine comparisons to the OzTam 5 capital cities figure because you know you will always win.

Comparisons to what? You talk like there is some magical set of ratings that only I can see and never show anyone else.

There is only 1 set of ratings. I don't need to post a link because everyone on here already knows it!

Comparisons to what? You talk like there is some magical set of ratings that only I can see and never show anyone else.
True ratings are unknown. All we have to go on are the official OzTam ratings and other organisations such as AC Nielson who develop the regional audience (do they still do that?).

There is only 1 set of ratings. I don't need to post a link because everyone on here already knows it!
Yeah, OzTam are the only official ratings which exist.

That doesn't gloss over the fact that they are the 5 capital city audience only, which is sufficient for the Networks and their purposes. However, our interest lies in a true nationwide comparison with all Australians accounted for. Not surprisingly, difficulties arise in any ratings comparison because no ratings organisation officially publishes them.

Don't regional viewers count? the NRL GF generally rates higher when ALL australians are accounted for.

I want to know where you got this statistic. There must be someone who gave you this fact. I wanna see the figures.

What about New Zealand? 4.5 million viewers across Australia & New Zealand for the NRL GF.

The NRL GF is unchallenged as the premier football GRand FInal in Australasia (Aust, NZ & PNG combined)

Yep, RL is a very international sport, the world cup was a ripping challenge. Never guessed the aussies would have won. They usually score more tries than goals in an AFL game.

Just out of interest, where do I find statistics on game attendances, total memberships, etc.? I'd like to compare those figures with Rugby League as well.

Originally posted by Sid
Just out of interest, where do I find statistics on game attendances, total memberships, etc.? I'd like to compare those figures with Rugby League as well.

With the memberships... What are you gonna compare it to? RL doesn't work that way... Season Ticket holders (I go every game but im not a season ticket holder)? Football Club Member (THeir are criterias you have to meet to become a member i know with the Dogs it's not easy)? League CLub Members? Bulldogs have over 35,000 League club members...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by LebaneseForces
http://cromulent.freehosting.net/rl/rl_index.html

Thats a link for attendances... mmm i dont know what you wanna see? no one has said RL crowds are anywhere near AFL crowds...
Some stats that i found for the 2000 home and away season and finals, although a bit old, but...

AFL = 6.30 million

compared to...

NRL = 2.90 million

By simple maths, 6.30 / 2.90 > 2

Its just that I was beginning to believe that you guys actually had a point.

Watching TV may not be the best indication, but I think game attendances show a bit more passion.

This argument is getting really boring... THe fact is every year for the last few years the crowds for RL games are on the increase... Who carea bout AFL crowds... i dont.

This argument is getting really boring... THe fact is every year for the last few years the crowds for RL games are on the increase... Who carea bout AFL crowds... i dont.

I rest my case.

Originally posted by Sid
I want to know where you got this statistic. There must be someone who gave you this fact. I wanna see the figures.
Do a search for previous news articles, including Roy Masters & other more reputable journalists (ie, not including Patrick Smith).

Yep, RL is a very international sport, the world cup was a ripping challenge. Never guessed the aussies would have won. They usually score more tries than goals in an AFL game.
AFL is more national than NRL.
RL is more international than AFL.
RU is more international than both RL & AFL.
Soccer is more international than RU.

Simple.

Smart but acceptable and fair diversion.

AFL is more national than NRL.
The argument that i started off with, and won.

RL is more international than AFL.
Laughable but accepted

RU is more international than both RL & AFL.
Agreed, dont mind union

Soccer is more international than RU.
Most popular sport in the world for sure. If everyone in this country played soccer, i think it would boost our economy by a mile i reckon.

I never got into this argument... i couldnt care less...
You dont care that AFL is more national than RL? I'm sure u are disappointed... You've been pretty consistent in putting us down. I think sore loser is the way to describe it.

Bulldogs have over 35,000 League club members...
Yeah, but do they all follow the Bulldogs? A percentage of those have joined because they want to have a meal at a club that is close to home and a punt on the pokies. I know with most leagues clubs if you live within a certain km range you cant get in unless you are a member or signed in by one. That figure cant compare with members of AFL clubs as it is totally different.

I've already stated Sid why RL crowds are lower mainly in Sydney. Sydney RL fans prefer small surburban grounds than big stadiums. Simple.

AFL fans prefer bigger stadiums. Funnily enough, right here at Bigfooty, fans stated it was because of the 'atmosphere', not the game that attracts them. Doesnt say much for AR really does it?

NRL TV Grand Final figures
Wed Oct 09, 3:18pm (NSW)
Written by: Steven Birchall
Over 4.6 million people tuned into Sundays National Rugby League Grand Final making it the most watched football grand final based in Australia. In Australia alone, over 2.4 million people tuned into the Grand Final throughout the capital cities, with Melbourne drawing a surprise 535,436 people, up 135,000 from last years ratings in the southern city.

709,177 people watch it in Brisbane, almost double what watched the AFL Grand Final which features the Brisbane Lions, and the Sydney average number of viewers was around 1,025,484.

463,500 people watched the game on Sky Sports NZ Pay TV, and 396,900 on TV3, making it one of the most watched sports ever on New Zealand television.

1,351,000 people tuned into the game throughout regional NSW and Queensland. The news is a huge positive for Rugby League, which continues to draw huge television audiences despite Adelaide and Perth being forced to watch late-night replays.

Ok they've got the official ratings in the SMH today(Wednesday).
4.65 million watched in Aus and NZ altogether,
3,790,344 throughout Australia
2,439,344 in Aus capital cities,
1,351,000 in regional Aus,
463,500 on SKY NZ,
396,900 on TV3 in NZ
1,025,484 in Sydney
535,436 in Melbourne
709,177 in Brisbane

Based on figures obtained from S-Comm Australia, researchers of crowd and TV data for both codes, the Broncos and Collingwood are the most watched clubs in the two games. Both regularly attract free-to-air audiences of more than one million nationally, the Broncos achieving this 11 times this year and the Magpies seven.

However, when comparing national free-to-air TV audiences for matches, league games exceeded one million viewers 25 times throughout the season, while only 17 rules matches topped the million mark.

Pay TV audiences in league dwarf those of rules, being three to four times greater, although the AFL contract with Foxtel has been operational only this season. Chilling evidence exists of an AFL future without free-to-air TV.

Pay audiences in both codes grew over the past few weeks of the season, from an average of 30,000 viewers per match in the AFL to 45,000 in round 21 and 65,000 in round 22. NRL average game audience on pay grew from 95,000 viewers over the season to 174,000 in round 24 and 214,000 in round 25. Souths last match of the year, against the Cowboys, had an audience of 604,000.

Not bad for something that aint 'National'.

Originally posted by Sid
You dont care that AFL is more national than RL? I'm sure u are disappointed... You've been pretty consistent in putting us down. I think sore loser is the way to describe it.

Its not more national... Having bigger crowds mean **** all dude... Ive stated my opinion on this quiet a few times in the past.
On the TV ratings... Country NSW and QLD have HUGE populations... Add them too NRL ratings and we **** all over you.

Originally posted by Mark Rudd
I've already stated Sid why RL crowds are lower mainly in Sydney. Sydney RL fans prefer small surburban grounds than big stadiums. Simple.

AFL fans prefer bigger stadiums. Funnily enough, right here at Bigfooty, fans stated it was because of the 'atmosphere', not the game that attracts them. Doesnt say much for AR really does it?

NRL TV Grand Final figures
Wed Oct 09, 3:18pm (NSW)
Written by: Steven Birchall
Over 4.6 million people tuned into Sundays National Rugby League Grand Final making it the most watched football grand final based in Australia. In Australia alone, over 2.4 million people tuned into the Grand Final throughout the capital cities, with Melbourne drawing a surprise 535,436 people, up 135,000 from last years ratings in the southern city.

709,177 people watch it in Brisbane, almost double what watched the AFL Grand Final which features the Brisbane Lions, and the Sydney average number of viewers was around 1,025,484.

463,500 people watched the game on Sky Sports NZ Pay TV, and 396,900 on TV3, making it one of the most watched sports ever on New Zealand television.

1,351,000 people tuned into the game throughout regional NSW and Queensland. The news is a huge positive for Rugby League, which continues to draw huge television audiences despite Adelaide and Perth being forced to watch late-night replays.

Ok they've got the official ratings in the SMH today(Wednesday).
4.65 million watched in Aus and NZ altogether,
3,790,344 throughout Australia
2,439,344 in Aus capital cities,
1,351,000 in regional Aus,
463,500 on SKY NZ,
396,900 on TV3 in NZ
1,025,484 in Sydney
535,436 in Melbourne
709,177 in Brisbane

Based on figures obtained from S-Comm Australia, researchers of crowd and TV data for both codes, the Broncos and Collingwood are the most watched clubs in the two games. Both regularly attract free-to-air audiences of more than one million nationally, the Broncos achieving this 11 times this year and the Magpies seven.

However, when comparing national free-to-air TV audiences for matches, league games exceeded one million viewers 25 times throughout the season, while only 17 rules matches topped the million mark.

Pay TV audiences in league dwarf those of rules, being three to four times greater, although the AFL contract with Foxtel has been operational only this season. Chilling evidence exists of an AFL future without free-to-air TV.

Pay audiences in both codes grew over the past few weeks of the season, from an average of 30,000 viewers per match in the AFL to 45,000 in round 21 and 65,000 in round 22. NRL average game audience on pay grew from 95,000 viewers over the season to 174,000 in round 24 and 214,000 in round 25. Souths last match of the year, against the Cowboys, had an audience of 604,000.

Not bad for something that aint 'National'.
So did they all watch the whole game or not?? Or was it on in the back ground? Or was the NRL grand final that was aired in Melbourne on live, or was it up against an old 70's movie? These figures are great, but in the end, AFL is followed around Australia more than what NRL is. NRL is a TV game, AR is better to watch live at the game. You can argue till the cows come home on how NRL is watched on TV by millions of people, but they still cant boast the same numbers of members that the AFL has for each club. Sydney is a major market with TV, as is Brisbane. Melbourne is too but when an NRL game is shown on late TV in Melbourne and is up against an old movie, I know what I'd prefer to watch - sport, because thats all it is, another sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back