Anyone here switching to the GC?

Remove this Banner Ad

Its not you know.....I changed when I was in my 30's.....I was born in Geelong, into a mad Cats family and was obviously indoctrinated from the word go..brainwashed I believe its called..

Well into adulthood, I realised I was not enjoying footy anymore, even though I loved the game... too many high expectations (4 grand finals) with too many massive disappointments..

I then discovered a little struggling team up in Qld, getting smashed each week by the "big boys" of the league...how could I not fall in love with them and their struggle to get the footy world to take notice of them??

My days as a Cat were numbered!

I became, of my own free choice, a Brisbane Bear!!

...and they have never ever let me down!...I watched and cheered and cried as they rose from being little minnows who learnt to roar loudly, as they became, with their fellow struggling southern counterparts, Fitzroy,...the Brisbane Lions

They rose up to be a powerhouse of their time, like the Cats 4 grand finals, the Lions also got into 4 grand finals, but guess what?.....they won 3 of them!!

No, I have never regretted changing teams....its a bit challenging at the moment, but like my Bears, we will overcome this little hiccup and Vossy will be the one to lead us out of wilderness..

Just like he helped do back then..

As for the GC, we will win some, and lose some I suspect..

after supporting the lions/bears for the last 20 years i am looking into becoming a paid up gold coast member. I never thought i would switch my support to another team however the way we got rid of bradshaw and drafted fev into the team has really disappointed me.

Along with the poor performance of the team since the 2004 grand final, the change of the jumper and the chance to be a part of something new and exciting has got me thinking.

Anyone else here who is thinking about getting on board with the gold coast next year?

lol. Gold.......

Thinking about it, given my Fitzroy background there are probably only three things that could each cause me to stop supporting the Lions. One would be if they dropped the Lions name. Another would be if they changed our team's colours. The final one would be if they disassociated themselves from Fitzroy's history.

The reason why those reasons are fine to change teams is because anyone of those changes would mean a fundamental shift in the culture you grew up with. Changing teams because we are not doing so well or because we changed jumper are just pathetic.

Snapper_Pride.

Nicely done.:thumbsu:

Seriously. This is pathetic... the club, in the form of the Brisbane Lions, is in it's... hmm... 14th season? Odds are you might win a flag every 16 years if you're lucky. They've delivered 3 to us. THREE. Were it not for our monster injury toll, maybe we'd have a decent chance to steal one this year. Have fun with GC- if you don't like the lions now, I honestly don't think you'll last a year supporting the GC.

You sir, have just broken the fickle meter.

After supporting the lions/bears for the last 20 years I am looking into becoming a paid up Gold Coast member. I never thought I would switch my support to another team however the way we got rid of Bradshaw and drafted Fev into the team has really disappointed me.

Along with the poor performance of the team since the 2004 Grand final, the change of the jumper and the chance to be a part of something new and exciting has got me thinking.

Anyone else here who is thinking about getting on board with the Gold Coast next year?

We would welcome all disenchanted Lions supporters.

We will have a flag within two years , so get on board it is a great club.

lol...

There seems to be some very emotive responses to my post. Can I just say I am only considering the change to the Gold Coast. However after the abuse that I have received from my fellow lions supporters my mind might be made up. The only positive response I have seen is from a GC supporter.

How does a new club entering the AFL build its membership if people don't change the club they support? Do we really believe that the 20,000 members the Gold Coast will have by next year never supported another team?

There seems to be some very emotive responses to my post. Can I just say I am only considering the change to the Gold Coast. However after the abuse that I have received from my fellow lions supporters my mind might be made up. The only positive response I have seen is from a GC supporter.

How does a new club entering the AFL build its membership if people don't change the club they support? Do we really believe that the 20,000 members the Gold Coast will have by next year never supported another team?

HAHAHA!!! awww the sympathy card has been taken by Rudd. But thats ok we really don't want you supporting the lions. So please go!!! Go to the GC and see if that team can win you a flag once every 5 years...i hope they do, so you don't come back when we are having another golden run.

Allegiances can be strong or weak..Something the club should address in their bid for more members..A reduced $ membership for the fairweather supporter with no benefits....who take the easy option to transfer....and get the slogan on their membership " The lion that roared"... For those that in tough times show a bit of intestinal fortitude and stay should get all the extra benefits and have on their membership "The roar in the lion"....;)

What an empty flag that would be.

The downtimes are what make the good times so good. If the Gold Coast win a flag in their second year, all it will show is that the AFL gave you the keys to the pantry.

As for a "great club", it may become one, but it isn't yet.

However after the abuse that I have received from my fellow lions supporters my mind might be made up.

I would have thought it was fairly predictable that when you say you are switching clubs (or at least thinking about it), the club that you are leaving will not look kindly upon it, and the club you are going to will welcome you with open arms.

If that's your criteria then your decision was inevitable from the start.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Um what did you honestly expect? No one likes a turncoat. As for a positive response from a GC supporter... again, big surprise.

But I was a Carlton supporter once upon a time, so I'm not going to berate you (too much). However, the mechanisms involving my jumping ship sound a bit different to yours - I was brainwashed at the age of 3 by my favourite uncle into supporting Carlton, but attended most Bears games as a youngster. When they decided to become a Brisbane team I changed over. I still retained a soft spot for the Blues even though I never had any real connection to them, except watching them every 5th week on 7's MOTD in the 80s.

If you're fickle enough to be switching teams over a few personnel changes, then I can't see why the Gold Coast will keep you as a member in the long-term. If you were a Gold Coast local then maybe I could understand it, but your location says Brisbane... :confused:

And if you're loyalty to our club can be shattered by a bunch of blowhards like us on an internet forum, it's hard to deduce that it was all that strong to begin with.

Support the team, not the administration and not individual players. The guys who run out onto the ground are the reason you cheer and the reason you cry into your beer

If the answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions. Seriously, what kind of response did you expect from a group of passionate supporters? I would think many of us harbour optimism for the next two years despite a few team deficiencies or at the very least are thankful for the glory years the Lions gave us.

Your 'club' sucks and is full of shit.

You'll have a flag within 2 years with more assistance then you do already. 5 years is more likely to be honest.

Now **** off back to Victoria **** where you belong! Stop ruining Queensland for the rest of us

Sorry, been drinking

Its not you know.....I changed when I was in my 30's.....I was born in Geelong, into a mad Cats family and was obviously indoctrinated from the word go..brainwashed I believe its called..

Well into adulthood, I realised I was not enjoying footy anymore, even though I loved the game... too many high expectations (4 grand finals) with too many massive disappointments..

I then discovered a little struggling team up in Qld, getting smashed each week by the "big boys" of the league...how could I not fall in love with them and their struggle to get the footy world to take notice of them??

My days as a Cat were numbered!

I became, of my own free choice, a Brisbane Bear!!

...and they have never ever let me down!...I watched and cheered and cried as they rose from being little minnows who learnt to roar loudly, as they became, with their fellow struggling southern counterparts, Fitzroy,...the Brisbane Lions

They rose up to be a powerhouse of their time, like the Cats 4 grand finals, the Lions also got into 4 grand finals, but guess what?.....they won 3 of them!!

No, I have never regretted changing teams....its a bit challenging at the moment, but like my Bears, we will overcome this little hiccup and Vossy will be the one to lead us out of wilderness..

Just like he helped do back then..

As for the GC, we will win some, and lose some I suspect..

Hey MacMum, I have no real problem with you backing the Bears who struggled for so long. I also had a soft spot for the Bears for a long time because they struggled so much - they were my second team.

I must admit my own Mum switched teams. She switched from the powerhouse Essendon to support my Dad's lowly Fitzroy when they were going through a horrendous trot in the 60's (and didn't come good until 1979).

It is funny because my Mum became way more of a Fitzroy / Brisbane Lions diehard than my Dad is.

I wonder what Bulldogs and Richmond supporters think when they see a supporter of another club thinking of jumping ship merely 6 years after celebrating a historic threepeat.

Some of our supporters are spoilt brats. You'd think considering that most of us come from Bears and Fitzroy backgrounds that if there was one thing that wouldn't be in short supply, it would be perspective. Clearly not.

Thank **** I didn't have to read too far before I had something to quote to reflect my thoughts.

Come on guys as shit as this year has and will be we have had a great ride along the way.

We will pump GC and many others next year!

GO VOSS!!!

I was thinking about Karmichael Hunt the other day.

He would have a;

Broncos jersey
Maroons jersey
Kangaroos jersey
Biarritz Olympique jersey
Gold Coast Jersey

I wish I had that many, I only have two (one of which, though, is the Maroon Fitzroy long sleeved hand stitched jersey, featured on the cover of Adrian Muyts book 'Maroon and Blue' (any takers?!?))

Its also interesting that Wikipedia lists only three players in the AFL who earn over a million a year;

Hunt
Judd
Johnathan Brown

I didn't know we were paying Brownie a million a year. GET THE HELL OUT THERE!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone here switching to the GC?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back