Anzac Day 2014 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been advocating that this be changed for years, not just for this reason. But if this is what gets a change over the line I'm all for it. Neither side should have a monopoly on the day. Furthermore, now Essendon represent everything unethical about sport and the the ANZAC name would be dragged down by having them associated with such an event, just as they are dragging the AFL name down daily.

I honestly don't know why clubs are so desperate to play on the day.

It's one of the only public holidays that the AFL schedules a game on regardless of the day it falls on, that the footy media makes a showcase of akin to a final.

In 2014 it falls on a Friday and is likely to be the only game scheduled that day. The overall exposure of the game by the AFL and footy media is a huge benefit to clubs participating, and is one of the factors behind Collingwood and Essendon's membership growth. It's not about the crowd size, although revenue from that day could be a big factor if it's a North / Melbourne / Bulldogs home game.

Looking beyond, 2016 is a Monday and 2017 a Tuesday - 2 other 'single game' days. If you want to stand out, you want to play your game on these days.

Question I have always wondered:

Why is it so important to play on ANZAC day?

Yes the pies and Essendon play every year and draw a large crowd but part of the reason for that is both clubs have massive supporter bases. An Essendon vs Collingwood game in round 5 on another day would still draw a huge crowd. (Maybe minus a few thousand neutrals and others who go to the event).

Personally I wouldn't really care if Collingwood lost it. The day is about remembering and honouring sacrifices made by Australia's veterans. If for example bulldogs and north want to play in the afternoon fine but I doubt they will draw much more than 40 000 anyway.

Revenue, exposure - as every club would want. Purely selfish and self-interested reasons as much as they like to dress it up as patriotic and to spread awareness of the ANZACs.

Agree with your post too, well done!

Revenue, exposure - as every club would want. Purely selfish and self-interested reasons as much as they like to dress it up as patriotic and to spread awareness of the ANZACs.

Agree with your post too, well done!

The counter argument is very compelling that 15 years ago Anzac Day was dwindling in importance and attendance at services, AFL & other codes have promoted awareness that has rightfully got it back to where it deserves to be.

GF replay or Collingwood vs Carlton IMO
I remember Collingwood and Carlton played on ANZAC Day out at VFL Park in 1984. That was the game where Carlton's Warren Ralph had a chance to win the game for the Blues with a shot for goal after the siren, but his kick went through for a behind to give the Magpies a win by 5 points before 68,000.

The counter argument is very compelling that 15 years ago Anzac Day was dwindling in importance and attendance at services, AFL & other codes have promoted awareness that has rightfully got it back to where it deserves to be.

Even if this is the case (of which Im sceptical) why do both clubs need to forever be associated with the day? Furthermore, it was natural that these two clubs would have been allocated this ocassion. Two of the biggest supported Vic clubs -along with the Blues and Tigers. If North and the Bulldogs had asked to play on ANZAC Day to raise awareness the AFL wouldve just said no. The underlying theme has always been to raise revenue (as has always been the AFL agenda) and these two clubs have been been in the fortuitous position to take advantage of it.

Even if this is the case (of which Im sceptical) why do both clubs need to forever be associated with the day? Furthermore, it was natural that these two clubs would have been allocated this ocassion. Two of the biggest supported Vic clubs -along with the Blues and Tigers. If North and the Bulldogs had asked to play on ANZAC Day to raise awareness the AFL wouldve just said no. The underlying theme has always been to raise revenue (as has always been the AFL agenda) and these two clubs have been been in the fortuitous position to take advantage of it.

I think there is more risk than reward for changing it, it is working extremely well as it is.

Personally I'd prefer it to be Richmond/Coll than Car/Coll, just because the latter already feels like an event on it's own.

Anything would be better than Essendon though. I already skip all the pre-game stuff and tune in at bouncedown because I can't stand all the media wank and comparisons of football to war, I think watching Essendon being compared to the diggers would make me sick - I was over the 'they're so brave' narrative months ago.

Sorry is this just last year's thread reopened or is it the one from the year before or the year before that? I certainly can't tell the difference and every one of those threads has succeeded in getting it done.:rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If its wasn't about money or the spectacle two battling teams like North and Bulldogs who actually fight for financial survival, would be a better representation of the day. Would never happen though.

It WILL NOT and SHOULD NOT change, enough of other teams trying to take it over.

I think we will actually see a triple header this year thought FWIW.

Essendon v Collingwood
St Kilda v ??? (In NZ)
Fremantle v ??? (Len Hall Game in Perth)

They might have to change it if theres only one of those 2 teams competing in it

Can you Richmond supporters please stop saying this. Or at least until you win something

First finals series in 12 years, record membership tally. I'm pretty sure that the once dormant Tiger Army is up and about which supports the case for a sell out Collingwood vs Richmond ANZAC day match.

First finals series in 12 years, record membership tally. I'm pretty sure that the once dormant Tiger Army is up and about which supports the case for a sell out Collingwood vs Richmond ANZAC day match.

Most clubs post a record membership each year. Happy for the Tigers to play ANZAC Day as I would any other team than Coll/Ess

Yes the pies and Essendon play every year and draw a large crowd but part of the reason for that is both clubs have massive supporter bases. An Essendon vs Collingwood game in round 5 on another day would still draw a huge crowd. (Maybe minus a few thousand neutrals and others who go to the event).

Personally I wouldn't really care if Collingwood lost it. The day is about remembering and honouring sacrifices made by Australia's veterans. If for example bulldogs and north want to play in the afternoon fine but I doubt they will draw much more than 40 000 anyway.

I actually think it would be a bit of a disruption some years.....for example if ANZAC Day falls on a Tuesday or a Wednesday, then you get one extended break and one short week.

Having said that, I think the GF re-match should be played on ANZAC Day. You can be pretty sure you are going to get a decent game with 2 clubs that were at the top of their games not 4 or 5 games earlier. And gives every player the opportunity to play in the ANZAC Day game and win the ANZAC Day medal.

Does it have to be played at the MCG......??
If an interstate side wins the flag can they play the ANZAC Day game at their home venue.
Or, what if 2 interstate sides played off in the GF......do you still have the GF re-match at the MCG as a neutral venue...??

Have you had a look at the ticket prices for Anzac day packages?
The AFL makes a killing.

Much as the AFL may want to punish Essendon for the drug scandals, and give them an even harder draw to punish James Hird for going to court; the AFL have consistently worked their draw to maximise attendances and gate receipts. To not have the Essendon v Collingwood game on Anzac Day would be cutting off their nose to spite their face. Won't happen.

If Essendon are not drawn to play Collingwood on Anzac Day next year, I'll walk from Springwood to Bondi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back