Anzac Day 2014 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carlton v Collingwood already draws a large enough crowd... Anzac Day game to the AFL will be a free near-sell out fixture. So they should play a game that would generally attract 60K, in which would push it to 80 or 90K.

Geelong v Hawthorn perfectly fits the bill.

Cannot have it the GF replay, as if two interstate teams make the GF, MCG would not host the game... and the Anzac Day game is contracted to them.

Collingwood shouldn't be punished for essendons mistakes

Exactly.

As a Hawk fan I would like to see my club play on Anzac Day, but Easter Monday is only 4 days before Anzac Day, so we can't have both!

Essendon should NOT play on Anzac Day, but Collingwood have done nothing to deserve losing it.

absolute worse case they would ditch essendon which i dont see happening

but what did collingwood do wrong?

If you believe "The Weapon" they were the inspiration for Essendon's "Black Ops"

To be honest I am sick of all the draw whinging. Just have a random or rolling draw and even spread of Friday, Saturday etc matches. It that impacts the media deals, the ground contracts the caterring arrangements etc then sobeit. No doubt the reduced and evened out AFL dividend will be more than offset by the additional revenue a fair draw and match schedule will give everyone. Alternatively the dividend could be maintained and the safety net funding hereby removed. With all the extra money no one will need bailing out.

Give it to the Dogs so we actually get exposure for once. ;)

Our highest crowd is 68k with Collingwood home game in 06 and 51k as a Dogs home at Docklands in 09. I just thought that was interesting and not as bad as I thought.

Regardless of whether or not this whole saga existed and whatever, I still think a grand final rematch would be the way to go. Works great in the SANFL.

I'm against it being Geelong VS Hawthorn just because say 20 years from now when one team, or both team drop off, it will just be another game in the fixture and not worthy of something like ANZAC day. IMO it should be the grand finalists from last year, because it'll always be a relevant match.

That said, they won't take it from Essendon.

Wellington ANZAC Day Game seemed to be a success. I understand that there will be another game played in NZ on Anzac Day next year (along with another regular season game). God I hope Vlad makes Essendon play St. Kilda in Wellington just to show 'em who is boss while it's Collingwood V Richmond or Carlton at the MCG :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

...doing nothing??
The two clubs planned and promoted the concept.
Hawthorn have planned and promoted games in Tasmania.
It's about time Hawthorn played in Tassie on Anzac Day to honour their veterans.

Collingwood and Essendon invented ANZAC day did they?

Pretty sure games were played on ANZAC day before 1995, correct me if I am wrong.

Hawks have played ANZAC day in Tassie.

0/3 nice one!

There has been no official word from the AFL that this will happen, no matter how likely some people believe it to be.

There is already a thread which covers this very topic on the Scandals and Rumours board.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back