Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The report was always going to say exactly what the AFL wanted it to.

The game can afford it. It’s the right thing to do for Tasmanian football and indeed Tasmania as a state. it would turbo charge their tourism industry for a start.
The AFL is a not for profit organisation remember.

if every decision was made exclusively on profitability and what’s best for the bottom line a couple of clubs would have been relocated/ shut down years ago.

I hope the clubs do what’s right when the time comes to vote on this

The Colin Carter report does not recommend a 19 th team due to it being unviable but has suggested a relocation or a joint partnership between tasmania and an existing afl club.

Source? Can't see anything on google.

Is it recommending to not introduce a 19th team, or is it not making a recommendation of any sort? Big distinction.

Well this should be interesting to say the least, in regards to what happens next with the AFL and Tasmania.

I wonder who wants to be that Victorian club to relocate/joint partnership with Tasmania in the future - Hawks | Kangaroos | Saints.

They're doomed if they follow this path. I'm a Tasmanian North supporter, and I'd be disappointed as from both the perspective of a Tasmanian and the perspective from North supporter at the idea of a relocated North. I couldn't support it, nor could I support any relocated team.

As for the "joint partnership", isn't that what we have now with North/Hawks?

Absolutely doomed if they go down either of these avenues.

It's time for Gutwein to come good on his threats and withdraw funding for Hawks and North.

Either re-direct it to 3 or 4 marquee games each season (2 in each region) OR to the JackJumpers/Basketball, the soon to be biggest sport in Tasmania...

If the AFL sees Tasmanians as a population to placate rather than one to value, then I think the state government should absolutely pull any funds from the AFL.

Keep in mind that this is a review by an independent figure, and the AFL has not made any commitments to any pathways. Gil even stressed as much today.

So according to Browne the report recommends that we shouldn't have a team, but should join forces with an existing team, but it also recommends that we should have a team, and it recommends that we shouldn't have a team and an existing team should relocate.

How can this guy call himself a journalist?

So according to Browne the report recommends that we shouldn't have a team, but should join forces with an existing team, but it also recommends that we should have a team, and it recommends that we shouldn't have a team and an existing team should relocate.

How can this guy call himself a journalist?
Look, while I also don't have much faith in Tom Browne's comprehension skills, I think it also sounds like what most people expected the report to say.
"No 19th team... maybe look at relocating a side... if that doesn't happen keep playing games there"...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look, while I also don't have much faith in Tom Browne's comprehension skills, I think it also sounds like what most people expected the report to say.
"No 19th team... maybe look at relocating a side... if that doesn't happen keep playing games there"...
Yeah it says exactly what the AFL wanted it to say :(

Well this should be interesting to say the least, in regards to what happens next with the AFL and Tasmania.

I wonder who wants to be that Victorian club to relocate/joint partnership with Tasmania in the future - Hawks | Kangaroos | Saints.

Why would Tas accept this ? Where are the finals played? Tas or no deal.

The Colin Carter report does not recommend a 19 th team due to it being unviable but has suggested a relocation or a joint partnership between tasmania and an existing afl club.

Tas has the money, the AFL wants it, play hard.

Great to see the AFL effectively acknowledging there is not the talent for another team.

More importantly, who are the Tasmanians who give a shit about a relocated team or a joint partnership?

The 5,000 people who showed up to North's last Hobart game?

More importantly, who are the Tasmanians who give a sh*t about a relocated team or a joint partnership?

The 5,000 people who showed up to North's last Hobart game?

IF its not Tas, locals will reject it, they wont join, they wont go.

No way the AFL will make a HARD decision, try & con everyone wins ....

IF its not Tas, locals will reject it, they wont join, they wont go.

No way the AFL will make a HARD decision, try & con everyone wins ....

Couldn't have seen that coming a mile away lol

Obviously the AFL hasn't made a decision, but this report almost seems too perfect of a result for them.

Well that was predictable

The only source of this article is Tom Browne's report on 7 tonight though, so not additional confirmation at all.

The Herald Sun have a slightly different take:

Tassie future: Carter report to recommend state deserves AFL club

The Colin Carter review has recommended Tasmania should have representation in both the AFL and the AFLW.

The review of Tasmania’s business case for a 19th team will be released publicly on Friday.

But it is understood Mr Carter – a former Geelong president and league commissioner — has provided three options to the AFL for Tasmania’s entry:

■ A 19th licence;

■ A relocated team from Melbourne; or

■ A joint venture with a Melbourne-based club playing most or all of its home games in Tasmania.

The Tasmanian Government received the report late on Thursday but refused to comment on its contents.

Mr Carter states Tasmania deserves a team and praises its long historical involvement in the game and its impact on the code.

It is also believed the report recommends the worldwide Covid pandemic should not impact a decision on a Tasmanian team, but it may delay the timeline for the introduction of the club or relocated side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back