Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the Saints are not just limited to relocation or joint venture.
Correct, but this thread is about Tassie so any talk about Tassie with context of thread is about exploring the option of joint venture. If I wanted to talk about mergers and such things I would be in another thread discussing it there. I'm here to discuss Tassie context and for Saints to be part of that context joint venture is only thing of interest of this Tassie topic.

Doesn't matter. That happens now with Victorian members of the Brisbane Lions. Nevertheless there's still only four-five games in Melbourne for supporters of the Brisbane Lions. And that's the future of any joint venture with Tasmania.

As an Eagles fan in Melbourne I still get to see my team - there is nothing sacred about 11 game memberships in a national comp for we dinosaurs of the State League days.

Correct, but this thread is about Tassie so any talk about Tassie with context of thread is about exploring the option of joint venture. If I wanted to talk about mergers and such things I would be in another thread discussing it there. I'm here to discuss Tassie context and for Saints to be part of that context joint venture is only thing of interest of this Tassie topic.

And joint venture with Tasmania is very unlikely, as it will be just as hard to sell as any other option. My point about merger is that if the deal was right it has attractions than a joint venture does not.

Why only the Saints?

If the Government is involved it would be closer to the WA model than any other. Cant see the Govt allowing the AFL to be in charge of taxpayer funds in any way, shape or form.

Sad to say, but no I don't think t will be like that.

They'll have a contract. Like with what we have now & with teams that buy games in other cities.

If a Tasteam is to be, then the contractual arrangements will stipulate what the Government is paying for.

The AFL would run the club.

As an Eagles fan in Melbourne I still get to see my team

Not very often and certainly not as often as supporters of Melbourne based clubs can see their team in Melbourne.

there is nothing sacred about 11 game memberships in a national comp for we dinosaurs of the State League days.

Nothing to do with 11 game memberships. Its about how often you can see your team play. And a 'joint venture' will see that number diminish over time to the point it will become nothing more than a relocation where you see your team play 5-6 times a year at best.

Why only the Saints?
They the only club I can see filling any example for a possible joint venture. North have shown their hand of going to be Melbourne based no matter what.
Bulldogs look too committed to their Western region branding to do it. So of the smaller clubs Saints as an example are easier to try to imagine what possible ways they would do it as a club. I can only see it with them of something like Southern Saints be their name and they get AFL to help fund them make Moorabin viable for two home games a year here like Dogs did with Ballarat for them.
They also got the Tassie link in past players of Baldock and Stewart so they have always been one of few clubs that could fit a Tassie venture model.

It is just the example I've tried to explore but anyone could pick trying to do it with the other clubs Carter hinted at should at least explore it before dismissing it outright.

And joint venture with Tasmania is very unlikely, as it will be just as hard to sell as any other option.
Yes, and that why I exploring it as thought experiment as I see it as very unlikely but before I dismiss it outright I try to imagine if it was to happen what possible weird ways could the unlikely happen.

Yes, and that why I exploring it as thought experiment as I see it as very unlikely but before I dismiss it outright I try to imagine if it was to happen what possible weird ways could the unlikely happen.

It cant use the Victorian model as so many of the expansion clubs have done without real success, 25 years + for the Swans.

Hobart in line to host the St Kilda vs Fremantle game on Sunday,Definitly the largest amount of games to be played in Tassie this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So anecdotal, based on your social contacts.

A joint venture wouldn't work and that is mainly due to the AFL itself who will promise a minimum number of games in Melbourne early in the arrangement, but will renege on those promises as time goes on. It will merely be the thin edge of the wedge to a full relocation as the number of games in Melbourne is reduced over time. Melbourne based clubs don't have to look very far to see what their future is, with a "joint venture".
. H
Past experience and simple maths. The AFL will not continue to guarantee 7/8 matches in Melbourne for a joint venture as time goes on.

If it was so simple, why don't the AFL guarantee Brisbane a minimum of six games in Melbourne every season as was promised in 1996?
How come no one from Fitzroy have ever taken legal action about the amount of games played in Melbourne they did for the lions logo

No joint venture/relocation or whatever thanks.

A stand alone, from scratch, true Tasmanian team only.

I'm not interested in a tarted up arrangement with an existing club. Nor, I hope, is the Tasmanian government and public.

Not very often and certainly not as often as supporters of Melbourne based clubs can see their team in Melbourne.

Nothing to do with 11 game memberships. Its about how often you can see your team play. And a 'joint venture' will see that number diminish over time to the point it will become nothing more than a relocation where you see your team play 5-6 times a year at best.

It does reflect the way Melbourne teams can offer 17 game memberships where non Vic teams can not. Another reason to visit the good ol' home & away template.
Special rules in fixturing apply & if it is necessary the Tas team could visit all State once only each year- it can be done. That would see 7 games in Melbourne.
I know the Fitzroy plan has been ignored & the best plan for yesterday may be impractical today, next year ...

Last edited:
No joint venture/relocation or whatever thanks.

A stand alone, from scratch, true Tasmanian team only.

I'm not interested in a tarted up arrangement with an existing club. Nor, I hope, is the Tasmanian government and public.

I suggest you take the licence & whatever they choose from what is left. Players, FIXture, & what you do with the players not selected.
No way a 19th team.

I suggest you take the licence & whatever they choose from what is left. Players, FIXture, & what you do with the players not selected.
No way a 19th team.
Cheers Gil. :)

How come no one from Fitzroy have ever taken legal action about the amount of games played in Melbourne they did for the lions logo

The administrator signed away Fitzroy's ability to sue the AFL in matters pertaining to the 'merger'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back