Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They werent prior to 1993 when ANFC threw its hands up and essentially said well if the AFL wont do what we want then they can have it all. And they didnt run footy in Tasmania for nearly 20 years after that.

they expanded an existing competition which gave them money at every turn. Even when the Swans and Bears were costing the league money, revenues were skyrocketing due to increased professionalism

Commercial and game growth considerations. Its hilarious that the undisputed growth of the game in NSW and QLD is ignored here. The commercial appeal of two of the top 3 tv and advertising markets was too much to leave running with 1 game a week.

Like all footy states Tassie was responsible for managing its own football development and programs up until at least 2011, when they AFL bailed out and took it over. (this happened to the NTFL and VFL in the same year).

Except for all the matches they've played here. And the bail out and the annual funding.

Declines in interest happened in every state competition where they were no longer the top rung of footy.

The thing is these teams didnt spring out of nowhere. Footy in NSW was taken over by the AFL in 1999 and governance was completely overhauled - talk for planning a second AFL team is in AFL reports as early as 1997. Footy in QLD was taken over and governance overhaul was undertaken in 2000 with planning for a second team/relocated team following not long after. The establishment of two AFL teams went hand in hand with $200m in development funding for QLD and NSW over 5 years from 2012.

In 2011 instead of having an AFL takeover, the Tasmanian Government should have done what the WA Government did in 1985, and completely overhauled the governance of football in the state, and passing stadium revenues from AFL matches at York Park/Bellerive or even a ticket levy of some sort, to the state body to keep it funded going forward. They didnt choosing to partially fund Football Tasmania/AFL Tasmania itself in partnership with the AFL.

Tasmanian footy needs a similar process now to what the AFL did in QLD and NSW. Complete overhaul of the system, followed by massive investment in development, then hit the ground with male and female teams in 10 years.

You can follow the decline of almost every state and major regional competition the same way. In Tasmania, like other regional centres, social economic factors play a part as people move to bigger cities and interstate for work and opportunity - having an AFL team isnt going to change that.
Can’t you see what a disincentive to it is to locals watching a national comp commence and prosper and Tasmania was being ignored as a potential team?
Tasmania being one of the longest standing footy playing states.
The AFL did take over in 2011 .

Can’t you see what a disincentive to it is to locals watching a national comp commence and prosper and Tasmania was being ignored as a potential team?
Apparently the afl hold no responsibility whatsoever according to wookie the whole Robert auld era didn’t happen

Wonder if the tide of support for the Tassie team we so desperately needed will quell now the dreaded ‘R’ word has raised it’s head (again), threatening to tear away at football’s heartland™️? 🤔

Sure. It doesnt mean they are entitled to one though. Ballarat and Bendigo are both the size of Launceston and dont have AFL representation, and both have been plundered just as much if not more by the VFL (where plunder is defined as footballers migrating to the VFL in search of opportunity and better pay)

Is utterly irrelevant to them getting an AFL team. Castlemaine

I notice you never actually mention since the AFl did take over in 2011 up until present it has been buy far the most unstable least successful era in Tasmanian football history

Really? does that include the 1997-2000 period when the entire statewide league was broke and disbanded, most clubs had crippling debt and were leaving left and right, and the AFL was worried enough that it conducted its own review of football into the state (Biggs report), and supplied funding to Football Tasmania. Cause i reckon that may have been worse.

I understand why they are hesitant to put a team in Tasmania when you would be better off financially in the long-term investing in places such as Newcastle, Wollongong & somewhere in Queensland above the Sunshine Coast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL is a Victorian Government body and is run solely to bring revenue into Victoria. There is no "good of the game" only "good of the game in Victoria". The State Government has increasingly ruled it with an iron fist, Gilligan answers to Dictator Dan. The fact that it is said that an AFL side would generate $110 million for the Tasmanian economy is seen by Dan as money that should be coming into Victoria.
Gilligan has stated recently he wants disgraced and corrupt Vlad and Eddie back in the fold. The guy is a Puppet. The strings are pulled on Spring Street.

Next week Dan instructs Gil to remove the 8 non vic clubs to ensure all monies only come from Vic.

Sure. It doesnt mean they are entitled to one though. Ballarat and Bendigo are both the size of Launceston and dont have AFL representation, and both have been plundered just as much if not more by the VFL (where plunder is defined as footballers migrating to the VFL in search of opportunity and better pay)

Is utterly irrelevant to them getting an AFL team. Castlemaine
You are blind to the point.
Ballarat and bendigo citizens can go watch games on a weekly basis.
Tasmanian fans have been denied this even though they have been a footy state since the 1800s.
Ballarat and BENDIGO are around 100K each, tasmania is 500K

i get that this all counts little for you as it is just money for you. Not about what is equitable of Decent.
The AFL should invest in Tasmania as it has been a major part of of Australian rules footy .
The silly thing is the state can support a team , thats been shown by the business model So feasibility is not an issue.

You are blind to the point.
Ballarat and bendigo citizens can go watch games on a weekly basis.
Tasmanian fans have been denied this even though they have been a footy state since the 1800s.
Ballarat and BENDIGO are around 100K each, tasmania is 500K

i get that this all counts little for you as it is just money for you. Not about what is equitable of Decent.
The AFL should invest in Tasmania as it has been a major part of of Australian rules footy .
The silly thing is the state can support a team , thats been shown by the business model So feasibility is not an issue.

He’s in tassie making a buck off tourism so wants the status quo to continue

How can the AFL not be responsible , they are the keeper of the game.
They threw huge amounts of money in establishing a nation wide comp.
Then started a team where the game had never been played and another in a sporting team black hole.

all the while Tasmania which had the the 3rd oldest footy competition in the world was being ignored. This sends a huge message to the people of Tasmania, you are not seen as relevant to the AFL And the national comp. This creates the disinterest . The 1980s was a boom time for tassie footy, by the late 1990s the reserves comp had gone and footy had well and truly stalled. This happened as the national comp progressed.
Then by 2011 and 12 when GWS and GC commenced this furthered the disenchantment of Tasmanians.
You can follow Tasmania’s decline as the AFL expanded.
LMAO

Like i said, it's easier to blame someone else.

You just have no idea what happened do you?

Apparently the afl hold no responsibility whatsoever according to wookie the whole Robert auld era didn’t happen
Find me posts where posters put blame anywhere else apart from the AFL

Apparently, according to most Tasmanians they did no wrong whatsoever, it's all the fault of the AFL, 100%

When Tassie footy started it's decline, the AFL was still the VFL, do you blame the VFL also, do you expect another state to prop up your state league?

Maybe the WAFL and SANFL could have pitched in, let's blame them also.

Again, the mountains around Hobart make it difficult to serve those areas. My solution would be bus lanes on the Southern Outlet and Tasman Highway.

As I said earlier, these may be unavoidable, but if you get the trips that can go by public transport off the roads, that opens up space for these sorts of multi-purpose trips. I'd also argue many of the sub-trips could be moved to public transport, such as high-school aged kids taking buses.

Hard to add lanes, but thats where trackless trams could run if they build them. However Its the Davey s/Macquarie sts which are the major choke point in the whole city. No way around except a tunnel. Thats probably too expensive for a city this size.

One of the biggest problem is that of the private schools. Nearly all are in around Hobart CBD/Inner city. Parents with Range Rovers just clog everything up.

Not sure Dan would want you in Treasury, stick to milking cows big fella.

He'd want me, as I offer sensible solutions.

Port's mounting debt proves South Australia is a one team state only.

Move Port's licence to Tassie.

Port return to their natural fit comp of the SANFL and win another 178 flags.

Really? does that include the 1997-2000 period when the entire statewide league was broke and disbanded, most clubs had crippling debt and were leaving left and right, and the AFL was worried enough that it conducted its own review of football into the state (Biggs report), and supplied funding to Football Tasmania. Cause i reckon that may have been worse.

The State league had it best period against SA, WA league in the mid 1990's. We had a lot of draft picks in that period as well.

The State league was an attempt for our football to stay relevant. That at a time when social change (weekend work, weekend shopping, rise of other sports in schools & reduction of school football) was really starting to have an effect. Probably generally unnoticed at that time. Add the rise of the national league. AFL dominated TV & news like never before.

WA & SA entered the AFL which kept the game at the top level alive & relevant in those places.

Tas footy always exported its best to the VFL. We also recruited some very good coaches/ players which kept up interest & standards at the time, inspired kids to emulate their local heros of the time. John Devine ex Geelong vice captain was one of many. Baldock, Hudson, Bingley, Greening came back & coached.

As the AFL money went up, the game here declined. To the point where we've been cut off from even that equalising factor of the two way flow of players/coaches.

Also we had VFL administrators before the more recent severe footy decline here. Roger Hampson, ex Essendon boss. I thought he was terrific. Barry Brean, the ex one point kicker in the 1966 VFL GF, who was not! Seemed more interested in the social aspects of being a CEO. Then we got the cheese maker, Rob Auld. What a pathetic wrecker! Useless AFL sycophant.

I agree Vic country hasn't faired well in all this either. But to waffle on about Ballarat/ Bendigo or Castlemaine! of all places is just trite. If you feel so strongly about that, start another thread about it Wookie. ie 'More clubs in Victoria'!!!

Maybe relocate North? ;) Or St Kilda to Castlemaine. Whatever floats your boat.

Anyway well get an answer soon. It'll most probably be called 'how to keep kicking the can down the road', without doing anything.

I'm just looking forward to how the AFL get out of all this, & not look stupid. Maybe yet another plan? ;)

Some have the R word back on the agenda!! We don't want North Melbourne, even the AFL don't want them. Even St Kilda would be a better option to most here I'd recon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back