Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet they would be 16th for revenue. So clearly the TAS govt is all bluster when demanding a team because they arent willing to chip in the $$$ to make up for any sponsor shortfalls.

The TAS govt claim that sponsoring Hawthorn makes a profit for Tasmania, BTW.

A politician claims that paying for Hawthorn to play in Tassie is not a waste of money. HUGE breaking news.

Of course politicians never twist facts and words to suit the agenda at the time.

The pandemic and the hit to the finances is the key - and how long that continues

I can remember Brian Cook saying last year - we have got a $10 million hole - re no crowds etc - Freo this year - when at the last minute - no crowds - Freo CEO - look this is a $1 mil hit to our bottom line

If this keeps going for 3-5 years - or even longer - some of these clubs Balance Sheets are going to look awfully sick

I do admire the present Tas Premier his approach - prior to him - they just rolled over - and got terrible sides going down their

Thus - because of the Premiers tough stance - and rightly so because they are stumping up the money - that has and will completely change - Geel and Melb went down their this year - and i can see big clubs like Coll and Rich going down their - they will get quality games now - not the rubbish they previously got for years
As if Collingwood and Richmond are going to play home games in Tasmania. And, as if North or Hawthorn want to give up a 45k - 70k crowd in Melbourne to play in front of 19k in Tasmania.

it should be a rule that anyone proposing the death (merger/relocation) of a club offers up their own club first. if it's totally fine for existing supporters to support a rebranded entity, should be no issue right?
I'm happy to become the Adelaide Kangaroos

Now give me your midfield

Typical defensive North attitude to try shift the attention to St kilda instead of addressing the fact that no club should move

Corey McKernan hasn't been employed by North Melbourne since 2001. He makes a great point though. Why is a club with minimal debt still at the front of everyone's mind in relocation talks based on something that happened almost 15 years ago, when another club is in more off-field peril today?

I'm with you of course, I would never want any club to relocate. Shame on those who would wish it upon another club, even GC.

I wouldn’t be averse to the Saints being the Joint Venture partner with Tassie as long as the caveat is that Tassie ends up with its own standalone team in 6-8 years.

Got to be better than playing in Shanghai, Wellington, Cairns and Alice Springs.

Tassie deserve their own unique, stand-alone team.

According to the report...

https://mcusercontent.com/7cd32ad25...8abfa/Carter_Review_Tasmania_Licence_2021.pdf
Capture.PNG

I have no idea why Hawthorn is still in Tasmania...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Typical defensive North attitude to try shift the attention to St kilda instead of addressing the fact that no club should move
Corey McKernan hasn't been employed by North Melbourne since 2001. He makes a great point though. Why is a club with minimal debt still at the front of everyone's mind in relocation talks based on something that happened almost 15 years ago, when another club is in more off-field peril today?

I'm with you of course, I would never want any club to relocate. Shame on those who would wish it upon another club, even GC.
Exactly what Engimal said. North is usually the first followed by the Saints in attention with Caro leading the way. No club should be coping it really, its nonsensical tribal crap to push for the death of another club. I wouldn't even want to wish that on Essendon.

Last edited:
Not taking a swipe at Hawthorn - they are a champion club the Hawks - and dwarf every other club for success in the past 50 years

But i cant understand why such a big powerful successful club with stacks of supporters still need to be in Tasmania

It would be like Richmond who have won 3-4 of the past 4 flags - if they were in Tassie - and theve got their finances sorted - plus an army of supporters - and they say - yeah we will keep playing games in Tassie

I just dont understand why in 2021 - a club as big as Hawthorn - in a very strong financial position - with alot of success - and a stack of supporters - yet they still play games in Tassie - i just dont get that
because playing in tassie makes them that. ive seen quite a few statistics that suggest that hawthorns profit margin is primarily the additional money they get from their tassie games. remove that, and theyre around breaking even.

So we cant trust the TAS govt. No wonder the AFL are so wary about creating another money pit.

The same V/AFL House that made the mistake of putting four teams in non traditional football states and burning tens of millions.

So sure, lets just keep trusting them to make the right calls.

V/AFL House does not take kindly to being told what to do..........unless its their Vic govt masters telling them.

Totally shocked to see supporters defensive about people saying their club should be relocated.

As a proud Tasmanian and football supporter there are only two options in my opinion.
1. Relocated club. No club will want to do this.
2. Brand new club.

I'll take option 2. Start with pulling funding from North and Hawthorn please Premier. Time to make the AFL understand we are serious. Maybe next step is a membership pledge or something to show we have the numbers.

I wouldn’t be averse to the Saints being the Joint Venture partner with Tassie as long as the caveat is that Tassie ends up with its own standalone team in 6-8 years.

Got to be better than playing in Shanghai, Wellington, Cairns and Alice Springs.

Tassie deserve their own unique, stand-alone team.

This is Gutewin’s major point. They want a timeline. No more kicking of the can.

Because we're not. Net equity puts Saints well above North. Also a great deal of North's yearly revenue hinges on the Tas government deal, Spirit of Tasmania sponsorship, and continuing Tasmanian members.

The same V/AFL House that made the mistake of putting four teams in non traditional football states and burning tens of millions.

So sure, lets just keep trusting them to make the right calls.

V/AFL House does not take kindly to being told what to do..........unless its their Vic govt masters telling them.

Maybe they finally learned from their mistakes. Also, Id say the AFL has plenty of sway over the VIC govt too, its not a one way street where Gil does Dan's bidding. The AFL staying alive last year and this year has probably helped save at least a couple of Premiers.

If Gutwein wants his own team (he seems to speak on behalf of all Tasmanians - I dont recall politicians in NSW that actively involved with GWS), why doesnt he stump up the cash. Offer a 20 year funding guarantee. Make it impossible for the AFL to say no.

Call out the claim that the new team would be 16th for revenue as bullshit. Instead of moping in front of a TV camera and shaking his fists at the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back