Preview Approaching Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Possibly premature, but who cares. It looks as though we might finish 4th and vs Collingwood first week of the finals at the MCG. So how the hell do we approach the team that has lost 1 game for the season

First of all going into the game, do we

• Play a weak side (rest cox, kerr etc..) and cop the loss, knowing full well that we would be a better chance in week 2 against the blues at home. (this is a very fremantle thing to do though)
  • Or do we put in our best 22 and go hammer and tongs with the pies hoping for an upset.
Which midfielders do we tag ? Surely both Selwoods get Swan and Pendlebury, Priddis goes to Luke Ball and Mcginnity takes Krakouer. I worry about Wellingham, Thomas and Beams though. Our midfield lacks class competitively

We'd need to stop the Collingwood press. Hurn is pivotal to this i think, with his ability at the kick in's

If we were going red hot for the win, we would need both Cox and Naitanui to win the ruck duel, and allow us to win the clearances (which is easier said than done)

It will also be Heath Shaw's first game back from suspension, so he will either have an absolute blinder of a game, or absolutely spud it up. Either way we need to make him accountable.

I hope the club is already looking into ways that Collingwood show vulnerability, because the only possible way I could see us getting close to them in week 1 of the finals, is if they didnt show up

Not thinking about Collingwood , after 2010 I'm concerned about each week - Melbourne Away , we still need to play very well and Essendon and Adelaide are both playing good football and will test us at home , especially seeing we have some injuries that could cause team balance problems !

After last season One Week At A Time

Dunno why we would rest players,we're a lot better since our round 10 game(as are they mind you) and we have a chance at beating them.. Home and away games mean nothing come September. Not that im expecting to knock off Collingwood or Geelong in the finals but if we give it our best who knows what might happen. Pretty much have no idea who you tag vs Collingwood Swan,Pendlebury,Thomas can all be extremely damaging.http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&s...lkbxIw3re3NNiTjbA&sig2=Bx8Mkhi9Rwxqdjk37lfoSA

Didak is going to admit ties with the underworld and go to rehab for addiction

Swan is going to overdose

Dale Thomas is going to quit

Pendulz is going to get into a punch on with Heath Shaw and the whole club is going to implode.

If not, we're going to lose.

Bahaha too true

In all seriousness though. I firmly believe we can beat them.

As we've seen against Geelong, we can put it up to these clubs, who have no doubt improved a lot over the course of the year, as have we.

If we can play that football that we we've shown where we dominate and actually look classy, we can beat the Pies. Although we need to do it for 4 quarters and not get cute and go on a holiday for 10-15 minutes like we have been.

Lots of 'ifs', but I still believe we can do it.

Surely the most important thing is how to stop Lecca getting killed by Harry O? Need to get Nico or someone to play a defensive role to keep Harry O under control and block like crazy to get Lecca some room.

Also, can't tag Swan, it is actually not possible. Try and tag Pendles and Daisy (was amazing in round 10)

Not thinking about Collingwood , after 2010 I'm concerned about each week - Melbourne Away , we still need to play very well and Essendon and Adelaide are both playing good football and will test us at home , especially seeing we have some injuries that could cause team balance problems !

After last season One Week At A Time

Agree with this, after last year I'm worried about every week. :(

Will be tough. Last time their run out of defense, and our inability to be at the fall of the ball in our forwardline killed us. We need ground level pressure. Hopefully we've improved in this area. Davis needs some tagging.

It would be good if we have 4th sewn up going into round 24 and we can rest anyone with a niggle (so long as its not too many players as you don't want to change the team completely).

But go for broke, don't be too defensive. Take them on and hope for the best.

That said, it will be pretty easy to drop one of our final 4 games, we haven't exactly been dominating lately, just falling over the line.

First of all going into the game, do we

• Play a weak side (rest cox, kerr etc..) and cop the loss, knowing full well that we would be a better chance in week 2 against the blues at home. (this is a very fremantle thing to do though)
  • Or do we put in our best 22 and go hammer and tongs with the pies hoping for an upset.

Surely there is way more upside in fielding a full strength side and winning in an upset, than getting some rest into a few players so they can play the next week. If we win against collingwood, they get the next week off anyway! Maybe that should be motivation enough if they really need a rest....

Im all for giving a few sore players a week off in the last 3-4 rounds of the season, but in finals?! Its got to be a joke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Attack at all costs. We have marking forwards and the enigma that is NN. Play him in the forward line when not in the ruck. The pies backline is not as good as everyone thinks, when under pressure they will crack.

we have to go all out. let's be honest, this is still a development season for us as i believe we're only the smallest of small chances of actually making a GF this year.

we have to play our best side, get finals experience into those who deserve it.

i'm sure that we won't have what it takes to beat them, but as long as we put in a good effort it'll be a positive.

in the next pre-season we can really drill it into the players that they need to get to that extra level (or two) to be able to match it with the best in finals.

respectable loss to pies
win the semi against whoever
respectable loss to geelong

i'd be happy with that.

mcginnity on thomas for mine.

i've been really impressed with how much paddy mac has stepped up his game.

Well, we want to be champs, we gotta go through the Pies. But, as Omar said, "You come at the king, you best not miss." We have to bring our A game, give it everything, or we'll lose confidence for the rest of the finals.

We played alright the last time we played them. Matched them in several areas but they're finishing was too ****ing damaging. They are very star-studded and even their role players are great, allowing said stars to get the ball in more damaging positions.

I think we've improved since we've played them. Don't forget they were VERY switched on and ready for the challenge last time around, though that shouldn't change this time either. Best chance is to get the jump on them, and we can win. It'd set us up for a grand final you'd think.

it's a hypothetical thread.

we're not the footy club, just supporters talking about our team's prospects.

It's a final pretty dumb to suggest resting players. That being said Collingwood should beat us and beat us well. They are a very good team and we are still on the up. I'm sure we'll give it a crack but this year is a two horse race and the league deserves a Pies Cats GF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Approaching Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back