Autopsy Positives and Negatives v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

What?
So lining up an 18yr old with no intention of contesting the ball is ok if its "in continuous play"?
Is that your point?
Let's not go full Freo nuffy with the 'He hit a kid!!!" rubbish.

Having said that, if De Goey didn't leave the ground, he'd have hit him shoulder to shoulder and it would've been a fair bump.

Players jump for greater momentum but I don't think De Goey had any intention of hitting him in the head and putting himself out for a few weeks against the bottom team.

Disappointing of our players not to remonstrate though.

I'd be livid if I was Simpson. Absolutely livid. I'm wild myself. What do we have to do to get some ******* continuity with our draftees ffs?? Cheers Degoey ya dumb flog.
You can tell that Simpson is livid in the press conference when asked about the incident...but he instead decides to give the question a non-answer, almost like he is being hamstrung.

How can you expect your players to remonstrate, when you won't (can't?) fly the flag in your own press conference?

Completely hypocritical and a big tell for why our culture has dropped off. The club from top to bottom needs to exude passion and emotion. If you don't want it that bad, you won't achieve it.

You can tell that Simpson is livid in the press conference when asked about the incident...but he instead decides to give the question a non-answer, almost like he is being hamstrung.

How can you expect your players to remonstrate, when you won't (can't?) fly the flag in your own press conference?

Completely hypocritical and a big tell for why our culture has dropped off. The club from top to bottom needs to exude passion and emotion. If you don't want it that bad, you won't achieve it.
Simpson is "hamstrung" to a degree.
He's not going to drop DeGoey in it and cause a headline.

All coaches roll out the "I didn't see it" or something similar.

By all reports he gave it to the players at quarter time for not flying the flag.

Hewitt will be fine, got his bell rung and was taken off as precautionary and rightfully so, can never be too careful. He would've probably played out the game if it happened in ammos.

The sound of crickets in the commentary box when it was shown in replay after replay was midly infuriating, until one of them broke the silence because it was just too damning. Same thing happened with the Geelong game where Dangerfield stuck his boot into Ginbeys throat, except it was just silence. Pathetic double standards, you just know they'd be all over WCE for it.

Also on the Commentators - it was funny hearing their disbelief at Gaff unable to kick 30m. He was a touted as a death by a thousand cuts player when drafted, he sure is but he's doing it to our team now. I think we'll see a big improvement when he is replaced with a player that is at least midly effective, similar to what happened when Priddis retired.

Maybe its time everyone just lets go of who isnt out there and focus on who is, because the players injured from soft tissues and long term issues just arent coming back to any effective degree if at all.
Those with impact injuries yes but the others are just going to do what hurn did and its time they retired.

The who is out there ran collingwood off their feet and won the 2nd and 3rd quarters as you said.

The excuses of who isnt out there isnt doing the young players any favours mentally. They should be coached to expect to play and perform thwir role for the team no matter what.
Constantly bleating about the injured players and when they are coming back is part of the reason the kids dont perform in my opinion
Injuries are unfortunately a reality of the game and do actually impact a team and how they play. Our injury list is next level and recurring on a weekly basis, so it's not really something you can ignore. It's not being used as an excuse, it's simply a fact. It was an explanation, an overview to offset the constant blaming game. Re 'constant bleating' (melodramatic term) I haven't posted injuries before as far as I can recall, certainly not constantly.

I was interested myself in where the injuries are at and how many are out for how long, thus giving us a reality check of where we really are and who our 'real' team consists of. I'm sure the young players are being coached to learn the new game plan, develop some chemistry and adapt to whoever is around them at training. I doubt very much they read anything on BF let alone it affecting their performance, or are mentally affected by the injuries? I'm sure they're all stoked just to be getting a gig at AFL level and training would be a buzz for them!

The reason for my post was to suggest that this is what we have and it will be so for some time. But yes, it is what it is and we have to just get on with it. I'm sure the young players are adapting to whatever is thrown at them, as most young people do, including a rolling ever-changing game day list. It starts to become another pattern or routine to get used to, so slowly they adapt and evolve and all this makes them more resilient.

The core team that played is pretty much it, there's not a lot coming back and there's a few younger and senior players to sprinkle on top. So yes, they should all be playing to win (as apparently they are, and as the coach says they are) every game, and trying to improve their standing in the team and their understanding of the game plan.
It's a cliche but it's the small improvements to look for weekly. The team is actually building before our eyes and I daresay improving, the green shoots are shooting and the concrete is setting and the chemistry is fizzing, whatever? We definitely saw a noticeable step forward in this game. The boys will hang onto that.
A regroup during the bye and a bit of a top up should re-energise the team.
Hopefully we get to see more of Hewett then.

It’s a measure of where we are that we used to have disappointing 10 goal wins but now have to console ourselves with commendable 10 goal losses

So despite the scoreboard there were some positives to take away

• It didn’t feel like a 10 goal loss. For the best part of three quarters we held our own against the best side in the comp. Certainly in general play, but we lacked finishing/polish inside our F50 whilst our lack of height in defence was exposed
• The intent to move the ball quickly and take risks was there again from last week
• Sheed had a great 150th game. He has his limitations but he still is an effective midfielder. Shouldn’t be forgotten either that he’s missed a lot of football- basically all of last year and several weeks this year
• Hunt needed to be or was forced to be a bit more defensive this week but still took the opportunity to run and carry when it presented
• Yeo was magnificent, especially in the 3rd and was a painful reminder of what we’ve missed for the last 3-4 years
• Ginbey was a bit quieter (13 disposals) but still showed a bit at times and hit a couple of nice targets by foot
• Thanks to De****head we didn’t see enough of Hewett but he looked good. A nice weave and handball through the middle that set up a scoring shot and a great clearance under pressure from a defensive stoppage
• Kelly keeps ploughing on and was again a strong contributor
• If Allen got the protection from umpires some other key forwards get he’d be leading the Coleman. Another strong game in an undermanned forward line
• Duggan is finally coming of age and playing the way we’d hoped more consistently. He’s going to be important over the next 3-4 years
• Hough keeps improving after a rusty start
• Petch again showed flashes but lacks consistency and better decision making - should have kept taking ground and kicked the goal himself in the last quarter instead of passing to Allen in the pocket for example
• I’m not as down on O’Neil from this game as others. Did some things like the handball to Kelly that resulted in a goal
• Williams has been one of the genuinely good surprises this year. Another good game from him especially around stoppages
• Bazzo’s best game of the year and look more composed. Win some very good one on ones
• Jamieson also had some good moments and found a bit of the ball as well. Ruck craft still needs some work
• Long could easily of had 3 goals. It’s been a while since we found a late draft gem but we’ve got one here. Really crafty player

On the negative side

• Need to be better at one grabbing the ball and better decisions by hand through the middle. I’m glad they’re attempting some of them though
• Our connection between mids and forwards is almost non-existent. A makeshift forward line doesn’t help and nor would the ability to train it during the week due to low numbers
• There’s been a fair pile on for Gaff in here but unfortunately it’s justified. He’s trying but he’s well and truly fallen off the old age cliff. Probably survives another week due to availability but he has to be in danger of a spell in the twos if/when we get numbers back. Think he also needs to be Priddis’d at the end of the year somehow
• Injuries again.

Overall, I was happy with the game. Their class eventually won out, helped by our lack of rotations after quarter time sapping our energy once our fight back had been snuffed out

It was also nice to have the crowd up and about as we surged back in that 3rd quarter. For a moment the impossible seemed within reach

Play like that against some lesser sides and we’ll get a couple of wins in the back half of the year

Last edited:
Simpson is "hamstrung" to a degree.
He's not going to drop DeGoey in it and cause a headline.

All coaches roll out the "I didn't see it" or something similar.
Plenty he could have said to fly the flag without throwing De Goey under the bus.

By all reports he gave it to the players at quarter time for not flying the flag.
Exactly. Quite hypocritical of him to not fly the flag in his own press conference after having a crack at the players. Practice what you preach as a leader.

Plenty he could have said to fly the flag without throwing De Goey under the bus.

Exactly. Quite hypocritical of him to not fly the flag in his own press conference after having a crack at the players. Practice what you preach as a leader.
Tell me what he could've said.

Hypocritical?
You think coaches tell the truth at press conferences?
Players and coaches all give vanilla answers to the media.

Which puts him at 479th in the AFL this season by the way. But Kelly and Gaff are actually worse this year so that says a fair bit...
Gaff is dreadful.

A lot of the time Kelly is getting scragged and hammered when he gets it TBF.
No one pays attention to the Gaffs and Xons of the world.

Both wouldn't/shouldn't be playing at full strength.
Gaff is finished and Xon never started.

Big positive for me is a senior player eg lord humongous and ruler of the waste land Elliot Yeo showing the team what effort and clearance work looks like.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What really boils my piss... as it should any WCE supporter, as well as Simpson..

is that the opportunity to play Hewett in a full game doesn't come up very often. He legit set foot in the WAFL and hurt his ankle after 0.5 seconds ruling a chunk of his first year out.

He comes back courtesy of Barrass being a late out, our first round pick looks the goods, you can tell his confidence is building. Best he's looked.

Aaaand then he gets concussed and killed. This is fresh off one of our last first round draftees being concussed and having his career wiped out completely, leaving a massive hole in our list.

For all we know Hewett isn't the same after this. Touch wood i hope this isn't the first of many head knocks for the young fella and it doesn't turn out like Venables.

I'd be livid if I was Simpson. Absolutely livid. I'm wild myself. What do we have to do to get some ******* continuity with our draftees ffs?? Cheers Degoey ya dumb flog.

Now Hewett misses next week under protocols... then there's the bye... then the credit brigade is back and the opportunity is gone completely.

Ginbey really is a god for avoiding injury this long.

You could add Sheppard as another first rounder who’s career ended prematurely. I was slightly disappointed with Simmo’s call saying “that’s just footy”. Does that mean he thinks head high bumps should be part of the game?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Tell me what he could've said.

Hypocritical?
You think coaches tell the truth at press conferences?
Players and coaches all give vanilla answers to the media.
Missing the point, it's not about 'what' he says, it's about actually saying something at all. Intent.

Similarly how remonstrating on field achieves nothing. You dont do it to hurt the opposition player. You do it to show that you have your teammates back.

Big positive for me is a senior player eg lord humongous and ruler of the waste land Elliot Yeo showing the team what effort and clearance work looks like.
Hopefully the sheer influence Yeo had on the game is a reminder of what is at stake if we do trade pick 1 and miss out on the alpha power mid of his cohort.

I was thinking about him the other day. He seems to be stuck on this cough "6-7 weeks" like Nicnat. The club have also been vague about his injury both initially and in the lack of subsequent updates.

The cynic in me believes the club have realised they didn't rehab him properly last year and it's led to a recurrence this year.
The club really need to look at changing surgeons. That is all I will say.

I'm really rapt for Jamo. For a dude who only 12 months ago looked like a man made out of spaghetti who shouldn't be within 50 yards of a footy, he's actually a fking unit now and had a real crack completely holding his own against the best team in the league. If this progression stays on track we could have a real player here.

Also I thought Foley was pretty damn good yesterday too. I'm surprised many in here are so down on him.

I'm really rapt for Jamo. For a dude who only 12 months ago looked like a man made out of spaghetti who shouldn't be within 50 yards of a footy, he's actually a fking unit now and had a real crack completely holding his own against the best team in the league. If this progression stays on track we could have a real player here.

Also I thought Foley was pretty damn good yesterday too. I'm surprised many in here are so down on him.
Jamo definitely sizing up.

Hopefully another preseason under the new guy and he is really trending in the right direction

Injuries are unfortunately a reality of the game and do actually impact a team and how they play. Our injury list is next level and recurring on a weekly basis, so it's not really something you can ignore. It's not being used as an excuse, it's simply a fact. It was an explanation, an overview to offset the constant blaming game. Re 'constant bleating' (melodramatic term) I haven't posted injuries before as far as I can recall, certainly not constantly.

I was interested myself in where the injuries are at and how many are out for how long, thus giving us a reality check of where we really are and who our 'real' team consists of. I'm sure the young players are being coached to learn the new game plan, develop some chemistry and adapt to whoever is around them at training. I doubt very much they read anything on BF let alone it affecting their performance, or are mentally affected by the injuries? I'm sure they're all stoked just to be getting a gig at AFL level and training would be a buzz for them!

The reason for my post was to suggest that this is what we have and it will be so for some time. But yes, it is what it is and we have to just get on with it. I'm sure the young players are adapting to whatever is thrown at them, as most young people do, including a rolling ever-changing game day list. It starts to become another pattern or routine to get used to, so slowly they adapt and evolve and all this makes them more resilient.

The core team that played is pretty much it, there's not a lot coming back and there's a few younger and senior players to sprinkle on top. So yes, they should all be playing to win (as apparently they are, and as the coach says they are) every game, and trying to improve their standing in the team and their understanding of the game plan.
It's a cliche but it's the small improvements to look for weekly. The team is actually building before our eyes and I daresay improving, the green shoots are shooting and the concrete is setting and the chemistry is fizzing, whatever? We definitely saw a noticeable step forward in this game. The boys will hang onto that.
A regroup during the bye and a bit of a top up should re-energise the team.
Hopefully we get to see more of Hewett then.

Great post and i agree.

Im starting to see improvement in the youngsters and i reckon the list is turning for the better whilst also showing the dead wood that needs to be culled over time.

As long as we are prioritising the youngsters its on the positive uptrend.

My preference is to see a new coach at some point take over with fresh ideas and someone that isnt bur t out by all this which i think simmo is regardless of his front to the media.

Great post and i agree.

Im starting to see improvement in the youngsters and i reckon the list is turning for the better whilst also showing the dead wood that needs to be culled over time.

As long as we are prioritising the youngsters its on the positive uptrend.

My preference is to see a new coach at some point take over with fresh ideas and someone that isnt bur t out by all this which i think simmo is regardless of his front to the media.
Just trying to stay positive without the rose-coloured specs. Am hoping there'll be an upswing or improvement in the latter part of the season, to take us into the offseason and draft on a positive trend. I suspect Simmo will still be there until we get through this period and begin to rise up the ladder? But anything can happen of course.

It’s all good guys, renowned neurologist Jon Ralph has just said on Fox Footy that Hewett’s concussion isn’t as bad as Prestia’s from the Tom Stewart hit last year and that hit was also much later than “Jordy’s”.

How the **** does Ralph go and proclaim he knows the severity of one concussion against another? The Vic campaign to try and minimise De Goey’s holiday is on in earnest.

Last edited:

Williams improvement has been surprisingly impressive. Jamo looks ahead of Williams performance last year. Hears hoping.
Foley and a few were up gainst really rough match ups - they looked much better as the teams confidence grew. Positive signs fo me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back