Preview Approaching Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Lets not forget Collingwood play Geelong in the last round, that game could involve both teams' 2's running around as there is nothing to play for, which in a way could be good if they rest a lot of players it may cause them to lose a bit of chemistry.

Or both teams may fight for pride and end up with sore bodies, perhaps a few injuries etc.

In any case I can't see us playing too much more of a defensive game than we have in any other game, Woosha will want to take them on and win playing our game style, which is definitely the way to go.

We'd need a lot to go our way, I've watched a fair few Collingwood games and i'd say the game they played against us was their best of the season, they were sublime, kicking goals from everywhere, winning the contested ball, marking brilliantly and stepping up when challenged.

So if we can step up 5-10% from that game and they maybe drop off just 5% we could be in for a real show.

Lots of if's and but's, as they will certainly go in heavy favourites and rightly so, but as long as we have our best team on the park we're a chance.

I will be watching the match from the MCC section - cannot wait!!!!!

Lets not forget Collingwood play Geelong in the last round, that game could involve both teams' 2's running around as there is nothing to play for, which in a way could be good if they rest a lot of players it may cause them to lose a bit of chemistry.

Or both teams may fight for pride and end up with sore bodies, perhaps a few injuries etc.

In any case I can't see us playing too much more of a defensive game than we have in any other game, Woosha will want to take them on and win playing our game style, which is definitely the way to go.

We'd need a lot to go our way, I've watched a fair few Collingwood games and i'd say the game they played against us was their best of the season, they were sublime, kicking goals from everywhere, winning the contested ball, marking brilliantly and stepping up when challenged.

So if we can step up 5-10% from that game and they maybe drop off just 5% we could be in for a real show.

Lots of if's and but's, as they will certainly go in heavy favourites and rightly so, but as long as we have our best team on the park we're a chance.

Yeah true, IIRC Adelaide pushed a half asleep Collingwood for 3Qtrs, then they piled 11 unanswered goals playing great football. We got them the following week. I blame Adelaide for the performance that they gave us :D, awoke a sleeping giant. Hopefully we have seen their best, and we were not playing to ours.

One of my personal rituals is to wear my Eagles scarf every day in the week before a final. If we put in a half hearted effort against Collingwood to mitigate the fact that they'll probably flog us anyway, then I'd be too embarrassed to wear my scarf in public. Save that shit for clubs with a loser mentality.

I think that Collingwood played their most complete 4-quarter game against us, earlier in the year, they knew that if they did what they did against Adelaide we would roll them, so in essence we scared them :p... but I will be there for that final (if all goes to plan) and for some reason, I am strangely confident, like I was before the Carlton game, so maybe that's a sign :p

In round 10, Collingwood were under pressure to put together 4 qtrs and unfortunately we were the opponents next in line after playing a 4 qtr training drill the week before. Also Thomas destroyed us. Ran free all day on the outer wing kicking inside 50 after inside 50.

Anyway, just looking at the team that took the field that day, the only changes would be Sheppard, Rosa (inj) and Masten for Waters, Butler and maybe Gaff. Although Gaff could be a massive liability because he's limited by his frame and we need hard bodies ready to rumble.

EDIT: http://finalsiren.com/MatchDetails.asp?GameID=5515&Code=f8c48464659e8f9378e0742e6912732a (some stats and the teams)

some good points raised..was wondering if the pies v.cats would they play their best 22,so close to finals and risk injury etc..as said not much to gain except pride-FWIW theres plenty of pride in a semi and GF..

pies did a smooth job on us..was quite complete..the coaching and the players..we were outcoached as usual by Malty Mick..hopefully weve learnt a trick or two from that..and have improved overall since then..i guess we wont have any jitters next time..but damn we need to kick straighter on goal- more goals less points,against all teams..we could have had 3-4 extra goals by 3/4 time against the dons..saved some angst..but cant afford that luxury of a big haul late in the game..in finals,have to nail those..i loved it about midseason when we'd come out and kick a bunch of quick goals in the 1st qtr..that moved onto the 2nd qtr..
also FWiw,we played 4 qtrs against essendon,so we're stepping up for finals.

Game will be won and lost in the midfield. We need mginnity on Thomas and scooter on pendles or swan to really shut them down. Mckenzie on cloke to have a good game too.
We then need Kerr, Shuey and embley to have blinders.

Key players we will need to have big games will be
Shuey, Naitanui, Kerr, Lecras, Embley

I really think we will struggle though. We will maybe be able to hold one of swan, thomas and pendles well maybe even two but i think one of them will get of the leash a bit too much and our youth will eventually crack.
Our midfield of Kerr, priddis and shuey just isn't quite up to the likes of swan, pendles and thomas yet i don't think.

Game will be won and lost in the midfield.

Our midfield of Kerr, priddis and shuey just isn't quite up to the likes of swan, pendles and thomas yet i don't think.

This, unfortunately. Would love to be proven wrong but as was the case last time, even with our rucks winning taps, often they'd shark em away.
Anything can happen in a final, but you'd think their experience and class will give them a comfortable advantage.

In the Herald sun yesterday they had the finals scenario and had us playing Collingwood sat arvo at the MCG. Hawks and Cats Friday night at the MCG. Blues and Bombers Sunday at the MCG and Saints and Swans at Etihad Sat night!

Hope to hell that its Saturday arvo as i'll be sitting in a plane on my way to Melbourne Friday night and have no plans for Saturday yet. So hoping to be at the game

Is Geelong really a walk up start for a home Prelim? I can see the Hawks beating them.

And we are no sure thing to knock over Carlton, even at home.

Beat Collingwood and our chances of going the whole way improved ten fold.

Would way prefer to vs hawks than geelong and its very possible. geelong are only minor favourites. Hawks are way more inconsistent and would be way easier to knock off.

Obviously we would be rank underdogs for Collingwood - but there is one thing that works in our favour. With their somewhat unsettled side for the past couple of months - they 'might' be a little rusty as a unit first week of finals

Guys like Dawes/Didak/Shaw/Johnson haven't played a lot of footy and will be all coming in together trying to get some cohesion.

It's a faint hope - but something to cling to

The best outcome for footy fans would be us beating Collingwood. Here's why:
A) The story. Last years wooden spooners knock off the reigning premiers to book themselves a home prelim.

B) Probably the bigger of the two reasons. Collingwood host Carlton or Essendon in a do or die final at the G:eek: would be huuuge!

Edit- assuming top 8 remains the same

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IF we have our best team on the park and the guys are in the right head space then anything could happen playing Collingwood. I know the Pies have some good players coming back in this week but they weren't overly convincing against Brisbane last week. I know finals will be a completely different kettle of fish but if we're switched on...??

As much as I tell myself we're a chance, in all likelihood, we're probably not. Collingwood will just go to another level come finals. We probably dont have that next level yet.

However, players coming back from injury etc for Collingwood could mean it take an extra week to get back to full flight. We're a chance, albeit still a very slim one.

FWIW, I do think our boys will love playing on the big stage and wont be overawed. Bring on a prelim v Hawks/Cats! That will be a very winnable game imo.

Game will be won and lost in the midfield. We need mginnity on Thomas and scooter on pendles or swan to really shut them down. Mckenzie on cloke to have a good game too.
We then need Kerr, Shuey and embley to have blinders.

Delivery to the forward line has to be spot on too. If the delivery is like it was against Melbourne two weeks ago then we'll get slaughtered on the rebound.

Obviously we would be rank underdogs for Collingwood - but there is one thing that works in our favour. With their somewhat unsettled side for the past couple of months - they 'might' be a little rusty as a unit first week of finals

Guys like Dawes/Didak/Shaw/Johnson haven't played a lot of footy and will be all coming in together trying to get some cohesion.

It's a faint hope - but something to cling to

There is one more thing working in our favour. Collingwood's VFL team didn't make the finals and the season has finished, meaning that all their coming back players get from here on in is simulated match practice.

We genuinely stand a chance of catching Collingwood a bit flat if we win one more game and get to face them in a qualifying final.

Having said that though I still think our best chance of winning is two Collingwood injuries in the first 10 minutes of the match :D

on the replay it looks pretty bad.

he jumped off the ground and hit him in the face.

...very possible that he could get 2 weeks.

he'll be suspended. nothing surer.

1 or 2 you'd imagine. hopefully the latter.

jumped, got him high. not particularly hard contact though.

as a side note, thomas has carry over points from his hit on clint jones earlier this year.

could be the difference between 1 and 2.

our boys will give it a nudge. :thumbsu:

going on our form we haven't really played a bad (full) game of footy. just glimpses. so i think we'll take it to them.

to win though, i think a few of our boys are going to have to play outta their skins.. or as the beloved melbourne media will put it. collingwood were terrible.

rest assured when we win ill be sticking it to all the pies fans at the game!

how many points?? the standard is 225 (which is what i reckon he'll end up with), which can get 25% off for an early plea. which will leave him with 168.75 points. anything above 31.25 and he'll miss ours even with an early plea (with 225 point original base points).

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Approaching Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back