Are Essendon the real deal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Has anyone pointed out Brisbane's 4-0 start last year, and how every man and his dog was heralding the return of the Lions?

The Bombers' problem will be depth; they won't want to get significant injuries, particularly to Ryder or Hille.

Having said that, Essendon fans are entitled to be quite chipper about 2011 so far.

I still think Sunday's result says more about the Dogs than the Dons.

I can see them tearing apart Carlton with this Collingwood gameplan.

I can see a little bit of Collingwood in the pressure for turnovers - but as a whole we use the corridor more, whereas the Pies utilize the boundary line to their advantage. Credit to the Pies though - when you have elite kickers, it's easy to do so.

However, the prospect of ripping Carlton apart into shreds ala Round 13, 2009 is mouth watering...

We're due.

ATM, the midfield is flying. Stanton is playing with confidence, Winderlich is trying hard,and your boys are definately up and about atm. But they have been up and about before, the problemis they can go to the shit.

In a few weeks, you will be calling for Lonergan's head, as he is a fringe player on any list. Dempsey and Ryder when the chips are down, will become unaccountable and lazy. And the current emotion and passion that could almost make someone doahead count against the Dogs, WILL subside, and it will, at some point, become a contest of who is more talented rather than who wants it more.

I'm sorry, but I don't see a midfield led by someone who has no confidence in his kicking, Watson, along with the likes of Stanton, Hocking, Winderlich, Dyson, Zaharakis and co getting too far. You may well make the finals, but if the intensity that you displayed against the Dogs is matched you will lost against the good sides.

The gap between Essendon's best and worst has been enourmous for some years now, and i'd expect due to the list, things won't change.

Winderlich isn't even playing in the midfield yet you label him part of our midfield that is flying.

Dyson hasn't played mids for 2 years and can't even get a game atm yet he is part of the reason our midfield will turn to shit.

You clearly know nothing about us. Stop pretending you do. :rolleyes:

I'll sit on the fence on this one, too early to tell.

I will say this, if we continue to play this brand of football throughout 2011 we'll be difficult to beat - when I say difficult I mean we'll be difficult, not unbeatable.

Will still struggle to make the 8, probably 10th this year. Their midfield is pretty average, and the fowardline aint all that great either. However, I was impressed with their performance on the weekend.

Will still struggle to make the 8, probably 10th this year. Their midfield is pretty average, and the fowardline aint all that great either. However, I was impressed with their performance on the weekend.

I actually think that a forward line consisting of Hurley, Ryder/Hile, Winderlich, Zaharakis, Monfries, Crameri, Jetta, Davey will cause trouble for quite a few teams this year.

Midfield battles a bit but guys like Melksham add a bit of class.

Has anyone pointed out Brisbane's 4-0 start last year, and how every man and his dog was heralding the return of the Lions?

No, you're only the 561,727th person to have mentioned this since Sunday, so thanks. Yes we all know that James Hird is going to follow in Michael Voss's coaching footsteps despite the lists and scenarios being exact opposites... there is no proof at all that this is going to be the case but many Bigfooty experts have declared it... so it must be true.

The Bombers' problem will be depth; they won't want to get significant injuries, particularly to Ryder or Hille.

We certainly don't have the deepest or best list in the league, nobody is claiming that, however I think you are underestimating it just a tad. It was only two years ago Essendon made the finals with Patrick Ryder rucking the last 18 games after David Hille did an ACL. Tom Bellchambers is a developing 21 year old ruckman and had a ripper NAB Cup campaign with his strength, tapwork and marking a key feature. He was actually the unluckiest player on the list not to have got a game last Sunday.

Others who didn't play on Sunday included the injured Tayte Pears, Alwyn Davey & Henry Slattery - Pears and Davey are easily in our best 22 and you could make a good case for Slattery as well. Other names to not play on Sunday include Scott Gumbleton, Kyle Reimers, Brent Prismall, Ricky Dyson, Andrew Welsh, Mark Williams, Trav Colyer and highly rated VFL youngster Michael Hibberd (who won the best young player in the VFL award last year and was impressive in the NAB Cup). Those players aren't going to strike fear into most opposition teams, no, but all could and will readily come into the side at some stage and be more than adequate contributors. I don't think the depth issue is as big as some claim, but of course we'd all love to have an injury free list to improve our chances of performing well.

Don't know why so many Essendon supporters are pessimistic for this season.

Every year, a team from outside the 8 (often towards the lower ends) the previous year makes a real charge the next year - going top 4 many times. Fremantle just missed out last year.

Why can't it be Essendon this year ?

They are one of the form sides of the comp, the new interchange rule suits their ruck set up to a tee and their players are in the right age group - again there are similarities to Fremantle 2010.

I think they are on a level par with Sydney, Adelaide, Carlton and possibly Hawthorn. Depending on how injuries play out during the year for those teams, anything can happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love groupthink.

Our midfield is "pretty average", but apparently the Dogs have a classy midfield, one of the best.

Yet one midfield got smashed, and it wasn't ours

I love groupthink.

Our midfield is "pretty average", but apparently the Dogs have a classy midfield, one of the best.

Yet one midfield got smashed, and it wasn't ours

1 performance doesn't make a midfield just like 1 performance doesn't make Essendon a threat.

Most of the Dogs quality midfielders were poor on the weekend. They're capable of much better than that.

1 performance doesn't make a midfield just like 1 performance doesn't make Essendon a threat.

Most of the Dogs quality midfielders were poor on the weekend. They're capable of much better than that.

Our midfield got on top and than run all over them. We didn't allow them to play well. But hey, this is bigfooty and we all know the only way Essendon can win a game of football is if their opposition plays terribly.

ATM, the midfield is flying. Stanton is playing with confidence, Winderlich is trying hard,and your boys are definately up and about atm. But they have been up and about before, the problemis they can go to the shit.

In a few weeks, you will be calling for Lonergan's head, as he is a fringe player on any list. Dempsey and Ryder when the chips are down, will become unaccountable and lazy. And the current emotion and passion that could almost make someone doahead count against the Dogs, WILL subside, and it will, at some point, become a contest of who is more talented rather than who wants it more.

I'm sorry, but I don't see a midfield led by someone who has no confidence in his kicking, Watson, along with the likes of Stanton, Hocking, Winderlich, Dyson, Zaharakis and co getting too far. You may well make the finals, but if the intensity that you displayed against the Dogs is matched you will lost against the good sides.

Watson had 22 kicks, most on the ground and had a better disposal efficiency than Cooney, Boyd and Cross.

The club with one of the highest intensities in the league, St. Kilda, Essendon seems to match up quite well against. It's not the teams with high intensities that have found out Essendon in the past. If you look at our performances against top 8 teams it's competitive.

Btw, thanks for leaving out Jetta, Melksham and Howlett from our midfield.

The gap between Essendon's best and worst has been enourmous for some years now, and i'd expect due to the list, things won't change.

Yeah, we'll never impliment a defensive aspect to our gameplan... and none of the 11 players to have played fewer than 50 games (against the Bulldogs) will improve.

Our midfield got on top and than run all over them. We didn't allow them to play well. But hey, this is bigfooty and we all know the only way Essendon can win a game of football is if their opposition plays terribly.

No need to get all sensitive "oh it's BF, woe is me" attitude if someone doesn't agree with you. Your midfield on paper doesn't look great IMO, a lot of people don't rate it. It's not terrible but it doesn't scream out to me top 8 midfield either. As I said 1 performance doesn't make a midfield and it also doesn't make Essendon or break the Dogs. Let's just see how the season plays out.

Very true.

This is comical. Sure, the Bulldogs midfield has the runs on the board over Essendon's but we killed their midfield, their main midielders had little influence over the game because our midfielders were better.

We'll beat Sydney in Sydney this weekend and we'll do it easily. What will the excuse be for Essendon's victory?

Very true.

This is comical. Sure, the Bulldogs midfield has the runs on the board over Essendon's but we killed their midfield, their main midielders had little influence over the game because our midfielders were better.

I'm not denying your midfield dominated, when did I say I didn't? I'm just saying they have the better proven quality midfielders. I'll say it again, let's just see how the season plays out. The hype is getting a little embarrassing at the moment with Hird on board and after only 1 game. Still lots of question marks.

No need to get all sensitive "oh it's BF, woe is me" attitude if someone doesn't agree with you. Your midfield on paper doesn't look great IMO, a lot of people don't rate it.

That's not the issue, the issue is you along with many others are not acknowledging Essendon's midfield was better than the Bulldogs' on the day but rather saying how poorly the Bulldogs' midfield was.

Paper means jack.

I'm not denying your midfield dominated, when did I say I didn't? I'm just saying they have the better proven quality midfielders. I'll say it again, let's just see how the season plays out. The hype is getting a little embarrassing at the moment with Hird on board and after only 1 game. Still lots of question marks.

Where's the hype coming from? Media and hysterical BF posters (from both sides of the fence)? I for one am not getting carried away and most reasonable Essendon supporters won't be either.

I'll be happy if Essendon earn respect amongst the competition this year, that's what I hope for! :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Are Essendon the real deal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back