Are Geelong the Melbourne Storm of the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Swans deserve to be in that convo too.

The Storm are a good match though in HOW they do it given that they are famous for taking players from other teams who are often under utilised or very much just role players and become crucial components to what they do. The Storm recycle players better than any sporting organisation I’ve ever seen and it is absolutely freakish. I’m sick to death of them as a Roosters fan who’s side simply can’t seem to beat them in the last 4 years, and as someone who’s ’second team’ is the Panthers and as such the Storm perpetually represent their biggest obstacle (my partner is a panthers tragic so if the chooks can’t win I’m on their bandwagon) but geez it’s hard not to respect what they do
Tigers have beaten more top 4 teams this year than the Roosters, just saying. ;)
Geelong are irrelevant and a dead end. A successful Geelong hurts the growth of the AFL.
This is a key factor in making our era of dominance look so great, especially in comparison to Brisbane who had retention allowance, cost of living allowance and merger concessions.
Imagine if AFL HQ were invested in us succeeding so they could grow the game in Geelong.

This is a key factor in making our era of dominance look so great, especially in comparison to Brisbane who had retention allowance, cost of living allowance and merger concessions.
Imagine if AFL HQ were invested in us succeeding so they could grow the game in Geelong.
Geelong basically trade in players for free because cost of living is so low, so I wouldn't call your era of dominance that impressive.

Side note to this. I think it was 2010 the two clubs trained together and played some touch footy.

Apparently everyone just stood back and watched Gaz jnr and Billy Slater go one on one just to watch the 3 best footy players in the country at the time ho at it.

Geelong basically trade in players for free because cost of living is so low, so I wouldn't call your era of dominance that impressive.
How come Newcastle haven't dominated the NRL then?
Cost of living is a fair bit cheaper there than it is in Sydney.

Side note to this. I think it was 2010 the two clubs trained together and played some touch footy.

Apparently everyone just stood back and watched Gaz jnr and Billy Slater go one on one just to watch the 3 best footy players in the country at the time ho at it.
Who was the 3rd player?

That is absolute garbage! Geelong's dominance is because we have the best coach, the best recruitment team (Mackie & Wells), the best club management and the best culture. It hasn't always been like that; Geelong has been dominant since about 2007. Before then we couldn't attract players.

Tigers have beaten more top 4 teams this year than the Roosters, just saying. ;)

Don’t have to point it out to me mate. I’ve told anyone who’ll listen all season long that we are no chance of winning the comp and that our roster is vastly overrated.

Young is as much a liability as he is an asset.
So is Crichton who everyone seems determined to ignore misses a tackle or makes an error for everyone he breaks. Brandon smith plays great for 20 minutes… then has to have a breather. None of our props eat big metres and Radley gets penalised every second tackle he makes.

If we could just play games where it’s 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7 against the rest we’d be a chance but beyond that we are nowhere near good enough

That is absolute garbage! Geelong's dominance is because we have the best coach, the best recruitment team (Mackie & Wells), the best club management and the best culture. It hasn't always been like that; Geelong has been dominant since about 2007. Before then we couldn't attract players.

Hmm? Scott was not better than Clarkson and Hardwick during their dynasty periods or even now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't realize Geelong fans were so touchy about pointing out that it's a cheaper place to live therefore they can buy established players for less. It's just the truth of the matter.

Is Geelong the Melbourne Storm equivalent?
Nup
Most of us actually like the Storm.
Try living in a Rugby League state, and in particular NSW.

Basically, take all the dislike that the Swans get for COLA, Academies etc from opposition fans and amplify it by 10.

Once you've done that, you've got the thoughts on the Storm by people outside Victoria for the most part.

Remove this Banner Ad

Are Geelong the Melbourne Storm of the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back