Are non-Victorian teams' fans killing their own clubs?

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been thinking this since last weekend when I was in Perth and seeing a large amount of non-Eagles non-Dockers fans out and about. And I developed a theory.

The current TV deal. Where the non-victorian teams have a monopoly on fta TV in their own state. Leads to the TV networks ensuring almost all fta games under normal circumstances involve a Victorian team. And naturally this ends up being those going good.

Now, kids are impressionable, and want to support winning teams (just look at all the golden state warrior "fans"....) and with only successful Victorian teams really on TV. It leads to the next generarion being bandwagoners to the currently successful Victorian teams. When your choice are local clubs that are stinking up the joint. Or successful Victorian clubs. It isn't much of a choice for impressionable bandwagon kids.

So I feel in the long term. Victorian clubs are going to flourish in fan support courtesy of the TV deal. But the TV deal I feel is this way based off the selfishness of non-victorian clubs fans demanding their games are on fta. So I believe what's going to ultimately kill nonvictorian clubs is actually the selfishness of those clubs' fans to begin with.

What we need is a purely equal TV deal. Where all game selection is selected on best matchups. And no state has priority access for specific games. Get the best on fta. And everything else on paytv/kayo.

Stop pondering to the non-victorian fans in the short term. Because it's going to stop the next generation supporting half the league.

Are you suggesting that local fta TV not show the local teams each week?
That's exactly what I'm suggesting.

It'd also lead to non-victorian teams having greater access to national fta games, and higher sponsorship revenue.

The current tv deal screws over the non-vic clubs just so a few entitled fans can watch every week.

It hurts the bottom line, and it hinders growth.

It's bad for the long term viability of the clubs.

That's exactly what I'm suggesting.

It'd also lead to non-victorian teams having greater access to national fta games, and higher sponsorship revenue.

The current tv deal screws over the non-vic clubs just so a few entitled fans can watch every week.

It hurts the bottom line, and it hinders growth.

It's bad for the long term viability of the clubs.
The overwhelming majority of WA footy fans support West Coast or Freo, same in SA with crows and port, etc, how will it help anybody's bottom line to not show the two most popular teams games? That doesnt make any sense at all.

What even is this thread lol, showing the local teams isnt going to kill them lmao its the best way for a tv broadcaster to support them.

If you mean showing Bulldogs V Bombers instead of Collingwood V Hawks because the first game will probably be a better game, instead of just showing the popular teams, I agree. Never instead of a local team though lol.

So you want the locals on the bones of their ass rarely seeing Crows or Port on fta? no future members in little sally & little johnny two-bob because Ma 'n Pa Kettle spend Kayo money trying to feed them?

Is really possible to "walk around Perth and see large numbers of non WC and non Freo fans out and about"? How would one even know this?

Never been to Perth but I call bs on the OP's observations.

There's more Carlton fans in Perth than there is Fremantle fans.

Probably because we keep breaking their little purple hearts :$

Is really possible to "walk around Perth and see large numbers of non WC and non Freo fans out and about"? How would one even know this?

The only people you ever see in club merch in any city on a non game day usually have challenges.

It’s a strange suggested, it’s actually the major broadcaster (7) that want and pay for the ability for the interstate clubs to always be shown in their home market

Think it’s a more & more irrelevant discussion anyway, as the uptake in Paytv / subscription television for sport has only continued to grow year on year. Realistically if you have anything more than a passing interest in the sport or you only watch your team each week (which is still a high number) you have Kayo / Fox anyway

I've been thinking this since last weekend when I was in Perth and seeing a large amount of non-Eagles non-Dockers fans out and about. And I developed a theory.

The current TV deal. Where the non-victorian teams have a monopoly on fta TV in their own state. Leads to the TV networks ensuring almost all fta games under normal circumstances involve a Victorian team. And naturally this ends up being those going good.

Now, kids are impressionable, and want to support winning teams (just look at all the golden state warrior "fans"....) and with only successful Victorian teams really on TV. It leads to the next generarion being bandwagoners to the currently successful Victorian teams. When your choice are local clubs that are stinking up the joint. Or successful Victorian clubs. It isn't much of a choice for impressionable bandwagon kids.

So I feel in the long term. Victorian clubs are going to flourish in fan support courtesy of the TV deal. But the TV deal I feel is this way based off the selfishness of non-victorian clubs fans demanding their games are on fta. So I believe what's going to ultimately kill nonvictorian clubs is actually the selfishness of those clubs' fans to begin with.

What we need is a purely equal TV deal. Where all game selection is selected on best matchups. And no state has priority access for specific games. Get the best on fta. And everything else on paytv/kayo.

Stop pondering to the non-victorian fans in the short term. Because it's going to stop the next generation supporting half the league.
Here's a theory...

Only the absolute dregs of society wear their AFL footy gear 'out and about'.

The only time it is even remotely understandable (not acceptable, but understandable) is when losers travel interstate to watch their team play. They put on their gear, and go 'out and about'.

So you notice them.

I was in Paris earlier this year when the rugby World Cup was on. Believe it or not, but I saw heaps of people out and about in Irish gear - but none in French gear.
Now stay with me...this doesn't mean that there are more Irish rugby union fans in Paris than French ones.

The locals don't wear their gear when they go out and about. Cause, you know, that would be idiotic and would out them as complete losers.

If you’re from Adelaide you should support the crows or the power. If your child wants to get around in a Carlton or Richmond jumper, that’s your bad parenting. Not the fault of the AFL or the tv networks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WCE have 100,000 members and their stadium holds 50,000 members each game. Maybe the best way to see football is to get a membership for a different team.

Also, I live in Sydney and no matter the game I go to (Swans or Giants) there is always at least one guy wearing a Collingwood jumper. Some people just love their team no matter where they live. And they love football so much they just want to see it being played.

There are alot of non WA team supporters in Perth. Both my brother in laws are Essendon supporters. Geelong has a good following as alot of WA players played their before the local teams got goung. Hawks and Collingwood very well represented.

Im at a loss to what point you are making. Its not fair to show only the big Vic teams on FTA alongside the local teams?

So I feel in the long term. Victorian clubs are going to flourish in fan support courtesy of the TV deal.
I'm sure our 2 FTA games will see us flourish.

One of the weirder takes I've heard, and I don't think your reasoning really makes sense.

Obviously in WA and SA they'll have Eagles, Dockers, Crows and Power games fta because the vast majority in those cities support those teams. Many of these are the type who ONLY watch it when their team plays, generally, so first off it's a ratings thing.

Second your claim is, because say WC or Freo may be doing poorly most kids will support the big Vic teams because what, they always hog the Friday night spots and kids watch that? You probably severely underrated local identity/state/city parochialism. The Dockers have never won a flag and seldom finish top 4. You should ask how many Dockers fans have jumped ship because they're frustrated at lack of success.

Also there's only 1 or 2 games without either WC or Freo in Perth a weekend, they're still watching WC and Freo, wouldn't that make it even more likely they'd follow them?

Here's a theory...

The only time it is even remotely understandable (not acceptable, but understandable) is when losers travel interstate to watch their team play. They put on their gear, and go 'out and about'.

So you notice them.

I was in Paris earlier this year when the rugby World Cup was on. Believe it or not, but I saw heaps of people out and about in Irish gear - but none in French gear.
Now stay with me...this doesn't mean that there are more Irish rugby union fans in Paris than French ones.

The locals don't wear their gear when they go out and about. Cause, you know, that would be idiotic and would out them as complete losers.
Why are so many people so judgemental about people wearing their team gear out and about? Is it a class/snobbish thing? I see it all the time. I wear my Eagles cap cos well, its a cap and helps protect me from the sun. And my Eagles guersney is just practical for exercise. What about people wearing European football shirts? Or kids wearing American basketball or baseball or football caps, sweaters etc? For teams they don't even follow what's more.

Like why are people are judgemental about what others wear? Are you the footy merch wearing police?

Here's a theory...

So you notice them.

Yeah but who would want to wear Suns gear.
Giants gear in the other hand..
Seth Meyers Yes GIF by PeacockTV

Remove this Banner Ad

Are non-Victorian teams' fans killing their own clubs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back