Are St Kilda the most un-professional sporting team in the world?

Are St Kilda the most unprofessional Sporting club in the world?

• Yes... they are tragic

Votes: 37 97.4%
  • Yes... but they should hang around for the laugh factor

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Re: Are St Kilda the most un-professional sporting team in the world?

Originally posted by Spidergirl~RiCkChiCk

Eccentricity, though, might be more easily managed at a strong club such as Hawthorn where it is a rarity, than at St Kilda, where it has often seemed to be a condition of signing up.

HAHAHAH how true is that.. like I said. St Kilda are the most unprofessional sporting outfit in the world... (just ahead of the English Cricket team)

Re: Re: Re: Are St Kilda the most un-professional sporting team in the world?

Originally posted by Mr_Ed

HAHAHAH how true is that.. like I said. St Kilda are the most unprofessional sporting outfit in the world... (just ahead of the English Cricket team)

Like I give a **** what a talking horse thinks.

Where's Wilbur when you need him?

Originally posted by Generalissimo

I know. I also know I didn't say it was this year.

The topic was about this year, and you replied to it, quoting that text.

One would only assume you meant this year!

Anyways, it doesn't matter mate.

I must admit, the initial post in this thread was a troll, but a lot of the information rings true, though he is obviously exaggerating.

St.Kilda has clearly never recovered from losing their first 48 games in the VFL from 1897-1900. They've come good for brief periods of time, but from an outsider's viewpoint, they have never seemed to posses the ambition to become an all-time great successful club. The focus is always on eventually winning a (as in ONE) premiership, rather than premierships, and establishing themselves as a top club over several years.

Because of their horrific record, they seem to focus on "not being bad" rather than "being good." Maybe their current team will be able to steer them to September glory in the coming years, but if it does happen, they won't stay up for long IMHO. You could almost bet that if the Saints win a flag in, say 2005, they will be down around the bottom again in 2007, if history is any guide - similar to what happened after the 1997 Grand Final.

Originally posted by sainter

2001 Rising Star winner - Justin Koschitzke (runner up Daniel Kerr)
2002 Rising Star winner - Nick Riewoldt (runner up Chris Judd)

2003 Rising Star winner - Some West Coast player will be runner up amidst claims of a Victorian/New South Wales/Queensland/Tasmanian conspiracy

It's kind of sad really... that Justin Koschitzke and Nick Riewoldt had the unfortunate luck to be drafted by St Kilda. If anyone is capable of ruining a perfectly good young talent it would be culture within St Kilda. eg: Aussie Jones.

Just for your information you can keep Koschitzke and Riewoldt. I'd keep Judd an Kerr any day of the week. Great Midfielders win premierships... not key position players who don't have the ball coming down to them. Just ask Tony Lockett how many flags he won with St Kilda even with Harvey & Burke ramming the ball down his throat. For all their talent in the world it didn't even help St Kilda win a chook raffle this year did it. Culture is not something you can teach to people.... its something that comes over time. Collingwood, West Coast, Adelaide, Essendon, Hawthorn.... they all have it... and can lift themselves even when the talent may not be there. St Kilda, Fremantle, Sydney are examples of teams who don't have culture... and all the talent in the world won't buy you success for long periods of time.

The poor kids are so devastated at being at St Kilda that they decided to extend their contracts to the end of 2005.

As for culture, I just looked it up in the dictionary and one of it's definitions was "artificial rearing". Something you'd know plenty about I imagine.

By all means attack people on this forum who give as good as they get, but leave those kind of personal attacks alone. You know, attacking people when they have no means to defend themselves. Kind of sums you up by the sounds of it.

Originally posted by Mr_Ed

It's kind of sad really... that Justin Koschitzke and Nick Riewoldt had the unfortunate luck to be drafted by St Kilda. If anyone is capable of ruining a perfectly good young talent it would be culture within St Kilda. eg: Aussie Jones.

The club did not ruin Aussie Jones. Aussie Jones ruined himself. He is one of the reasons (along with Everitt and most of the rest of the SENIOR list) that we have been down the bottom for so long. The club did not make Aussie drink, refuse to lay a tackle or lose form. Aussie Jones was the reason for Aussie Jones' failings. Thankfully, he has turned it around over the last 2 years and has played consistent, reliable footy. One of the few to turn it around actually.

According to your implied definition, I would consider Carlton a club with "successful culture". I suppose the actions of Houlihan, Fevola, Merrington and Lappin are also Carlton's fault? But no, they have a "successful culture". Culture my arse. The last few years we have been unsuccessful because of injury. You should know about that. Your club didn't exactly shine when the injury curse of 2000 struck. Before that and just after 97 the club made some shocking decisions (geez, Wes Coast never has, Ken Judge was a fantastic coach). Happens to everyone. Unfortunately, i cannot make a valid analysis of pre-95 because i only started following football that year, so if somebody else wants to continue the "arguement", go on...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Are St Kilda the most un-professional sporting team in the world?

Originally posted by Savatage

Like I give a **** what a talking horse thinks.

Where's Wilbur when you need him?
Where's the glue factory more like it.

granted St. Kilda do somehow manage to make a joke out of themselves consistently but they are no way known the worst. The administration of the AFL and Soccer Australia are worse in my opinion.

Running a club is one thing where you need to try and balance the books. The AFL don't really seem to care about the overall health of the game in suburban areas at the grass roots. Soccer Australia is just purely inept and corrupt so St. Kilda can't be that bad and least they haven't bankrupted a sport with the largest competitive participation rate in the country.

Originally posted by Carlton God

Look at Aaron Hamill, a classical example, if he had stayed at Carlton he would probably be remembered as a good, hard working serviceable player for us. Put on the St Kilda jumper and he turns into a gump, who still tries hard, but doesn’t have the same hunger or killer instinct that he had at Carlton. This shows in his performance and just about every St Kilda supporter would swap him back in a second for the number 4 draft pick they gave up.

All barring the ones who want him to captain?

Times are a changin' my friends.

The Saints are about to dominate or die, this current crop of players represents and determines whether or not the club deserves to be in the comp. or not.

As a saints fan and a punter I reckon that they will survive AND carve because they have great players AND a good management team (this is the coach and his aides to those who fail to understand) .

The old culture is gone, and a professional team is here to stay.

Times are a changin' my friends.

Originally posted by Falchoon

All barring the ones who want him to captain?

Hamill has gone from being a promising forward at Carlton to a true leader at St Kilda. His sheer presence on the ground is enourmous. Ask the fair-minded Collingwood fans about Hamill's impact in the middle in round 21.

At Carlton he seemed quite one-dimensional but kicked more goals. At St Kilda, he is a protector of players and an intimidating force in the centre sqaure. His strength and pace is matched by an intense ferocity. The dillema we coaches-in-the-outer face is whether to play him as a key forward, a flanker, or as the bulldozing midfielder!

He's the best natural leader at the club. Gives 110% on every occaision. I don't know how much we are paying him, but it sure as hell ought to be double.

Luke Livingston + Sam Cranage or Aaron Hammil? I still can't believe we got away with such a deal.

Carlton fans are adament Livingston is showing signs of class. What I've seen of him does not impress me, but I haven't seen the kid all that much and probably would judge with undue haste.

Pick 4 and Cranage for Hamill was a steal and to this day, it remains arguably the biggest recruiting coup in the club's post-60's history. Wouldn't swap him for Carlton's pick 1. Never.

Of course Mr Ed is right. St Kilda are hopeless, anyone who looks at the situation objectively would say so. They have the worst culture in the AFL bar none.

Ah the old culture thing is back, you're only as good as your last season, so we have the second worst culture thankyou very much. Why did we get rid of Everitt and Hall, Lappin ring a bell? All handy footballers, the times they are a changin'

You pull on the St Kilda jumper and you instantly turn into a 30% lesser player. The only ones that don’t fall into this trap are guys like Rob Harvey who have so much pride in their performance that it wouldn’t matter what club they were playing for they would be a champion(I think Reiwoldt is a bit like this, lucky for St Kilda). The problem is that guys with this attitude are one out of every hundred and the majority of players in the AFL just reflect a clubs standards and culture.

Maybe Harvey would have won 6 brownlows elsewhere? Whose culture do Lappin, Houlihan and Fevola represent?

Look at Aaron Hamill, a classical example, if he had stayed at Carlton he would probably be remembered as a good, hard working serviceable player for us. Put on the St Kilda jumper and he turns into a gump, who still tries hard, but doesn’t have the same hunger or killer instinct that he had at Carlton. This shows in his performance and just about every St Kilda supporter would swap him back in a second for the number 4 draft pick they gave up.

Aaron Hamill makes the players around him better, at Carlton he may have been remembered as a good hard working serviceable player, at St Kilda he will be remembered as a good hard working leader of men. Doesn't have the hunger??????????? Wouldn't swap him for any current Carlton player ('cept Whitnall) never mind pick 4

The bulldogs history is nothing special either. However they are quite different from St Kilda, at least they were a hard working club from the western suburbs who would take pride in their efforts on the park, even if they couldn’t match it in terms of player payments with some of the bigger clubs. Rather than St Kilda trying to get better as a club, you would go out to Moorabin and they used to have the sprinklers on for about 5 hours before the game to try and drag the opposition down. It’s was this kind of mentality that would see them never improve, they never want to get collectively better as a group or a club.

St Kilda were early leaders in medicine and worked hard to avoid their players suffering from O.P on hard grounds ;) That Western Oval was always presented in pristine condition.

You only have to look back to about 3 years ago to see that idiot Butterrs coming in making outlandish statements like “St Kilda will be the biggest club in Melbourne within 5 years, look what Essendon have done”. Butterss is just like every other St Kilda supporter, he doesn’t have a grip on reality. Even with drafts, salary caps and the evening up of the competition, St Kilda have still won more wooden spoons than any other club. They are now on what it seems like is a 10 year rebuilding program, will anything come of it? Probably not. So rather than all those posts in this thread that have gone off the topic, yes you would have to go a long way to see a less professional top line sporting club than St Kilda. They are deserved wooden spoon winners year in year out, I’m sure there are plenty more to come.

I must have missed that particular Butterss press conference. With the draft, salary cap and evening up of the competition St Kilda have won one wooden spoon, equal to Carlton and Collingwood!!! Once since 1990!!!
10 year rebuilding program??? are we in 2011, where've I been?

You wouldn't have to go that far to see a less professional sporting team at present. How far is Royal Parade?

To Carlton God

Dear Sir,
How's the latest, in a long line of salary cap investigations coming? Do hope, after you've relentlessly abused it for years-that the penalties won't be too forthcoming.

Regards,
Molky

Thanks to all of you for taking part in this poll. It would appear by the results that yes.... in fact St Kilda are the most unprofessional sporting team in the world.... and the biggest bunch of losers ever assembled.

Thankyou

St kilda's administrators are a bunch of moron dictators. Let us not forget those famous comments by two time premiership coach Blight:"They[st kilda] are 500% worse than what I expected" .... two days later he is sacked.

This is what the moron administrators do at st kilda, if you disagree they sack you, if you tell the truth they sack you ( you get them to the grand final cornflakes, the worst coach in the history of the AFL, uses his vote to sack you)

Lets face it, St Kilda are a farce to australian sport and so is that fool Butters. St kilda are there to trade players who then turn into stars at other clubs, nothing more nothing less. Players that stay turn into drunken drug addicts.

Success will never come to st kilda EVER. They are the more unprofessional to the AFL than what NSL is to world soccer.

Two words: Utter joke

Remove this Banner Ad

Are St Kilda the most un-professional sporting team in the world?

Back