Are we cursed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate, I know my position on Collingwood creates much heated debate and I know why. This article confirms why. It's a great article so congrats for locating it and bringing it to our attention. Nothing worse than some perceived smart ass driving home something you don't want to believe nor hear even if in your deepest recesses, there may be some merit in the argument. Best and most obvious forms of defence - get personally abusive, question his loyalties, tell him to f--k off and barrack for some other club. To be honest, I'd probably do the same in their shoes.

JMac and many others are at the nose bleed end of those supporters who will not tolerate such perceived disloyalty. I get it. That's why I never personally attack him back.

However I firmly believe that the collective of Collingwood supporters have a major role to play in this culture that the article espouses. And having the current Prez at the helm really doesn't help in this regard.

Again great article.
Always nice to have a keyboard sniper identified - you wouldn't have the stones to tell Ed to his face sunshine.

He would eat you alive.

In case you missed it in your hatred

About 1/3 of the way down petal . .

CEO of the national nine network . . .

You don't get to head up a national broadcaster unless you have the runs on the board . . .

You on the other hand have the . . .

ERMMMM . . .

Oh yeah . . . agenda.

PFFTTTTT.

Lightweight.

Yes we are cursed. And the injury gods just won’t give us a break. We are once again testing the injury gods by resigning all our busted arses from the last few years.

Always nice to have a keyboard sniper identified - you wouldn't have the stones to tell Ed to his face sunshine.

He would eat you alive.

You don't get to head up a national broadcaster unless you have the runs on the board . . .

ERMMMM . . .

Oh yeah . . . agenda.

PFFTTTTT.

Lightweight.

Another Eddie fanboy. You are a dinosaur mate, wouldn't be out of place sitting at a table with Sam Newman and Andrew Bolt.

we completely changed our game plan after the first quarter. Time and time again we just kicked the ball long down the line to a side well known for the marking prowess. Played right into there hands, no fast ball movement, no players trying to make space. Our main players having shockers, Steele even won the Leon davis medal for worse on field. Tell me how a player of his ability comes 44th on the field in performance?

We saw that game very differently. This is how I saw it. We jumped them on the scoreboard, but it was more to do with converting half chances than dominance in general play. From the opportunities our forwards got in the first 20 minutes, most of the time you'd only kick 2 goals 2. They then tightened up a bit defensively, got on top around the contest and gradually ground us down. They were the better team for 3 quarters and won. Ultimately, we could find no way through their defensive system to kick goals other than individual brilliance. Basically, we gave it a good shake and nearly took advantage of some brilliant goals from our forwards, but they were the better team.

On Steele - wonderful player, but he is what he is. He's not good enough to take all comers. He's a predominately outside player without pace or strength. He should be pretty easy game for a good tagger who can run with him. Not many can run with him, but Hastings could. We can point the finger and shake our collective heads at his lack of impact or we can accept that he doesn't have the tools to be in the very upper echelon of AFL players who can always impact regardless of his opponent.

However I firmly believe that the collective of Collingwood supporters have a major role to play in this culture that the article espouses. And having the current Prez at the helm really doesn't help in this regard

That's the speculation, I'd hope that is not the case. I'm going to have to fence sit here i:e not sure if the "excuse" making has a sub conscious effect on the club itself - mainly because Buckley is not in that camp. His "wasted season" statement after the prelim reiterates that.

As for Ed, there's noise about him being stale and probably more accepting of our wasted opportunities than Bucks. We'll be forever in debt to Eddie but I still view a fresh prez wouldn't hurt, may improve things but wouldn't hurt. Problem is he has no opposing candidates come election time.

This is a conversation for North, Saints, Dogs, Fitzroy, South Melbourne, Richmond for 37 years, Gold Coast and University

This is a conversation for North, Saints, Dogs, Fitzroy, South Melbourne, Richmond for 37 years, Gold Coast and University
Can’t agree. We’ve lost more Grand Finals in the last 60 years than they all have combined.

They’re just plain mediocre (excluding Richmond), we’re plain and simply cursed.

2 Premierships and 14 runner ups from 16 attempts is not circumstantial - that’s a curse.

Can’t agree. We’ve lost more Grand Finals in the last 60 years than they all have combined.

They’re just plain mediocre (excluding Richmond), we’re plain and simply cursed.

2 Premierships and 14 runner ups from 16 attempts is not circumstantial - that’s a curse.
I understand your sentiment and it really hurts me to see that stat. But honestly, except for 1970, 2011 and 2018 I don't think we were the best side in the GFs. We always seem to cop teams when they are at a peak point in their history. We seem to be over achievers at making GFs and playing teams that would be under achievers if they didn't make it. Does that make any sense??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been blessed to see 2 flags, one of them the one everyone else wanted, the very 1st AFL premiership, how many other supporters can say that?

Blessed or cursed is a choice... winners make the right one

cool-jesus.jpg

I understand your sentiment and it really hurts me to see that stat. But honestly, except for 1970, 2011 and 2018 I don't think we were the best side in the GFs. We always seem to cop teams when they are at a peak point in their history. We seem to be over achievers at making GFs and playing teams that would be under achievers if they didn't make it. Does that make any sense??
It does, and I’m not old enough to comment on any GFs prior to 1990 but GFs like 2002 and 2018 for me scar because we should’ve won them. I hear there were a few of those in the 70s that we lose the unloseable.

He would eat you alive.

ERMMMM . . .

Oh yeah . . . agenda.

PFFTTTTT.

Lightweight.

The Prosecution rests!

It does, and I’m not old enough to comment on any GFs prior to 1990 but GFs like 2002 and 2018 for me scar because we should’ve won them. I hear there were a few of those in the 70s that we lose the unloseable.
I was at the G in 70. It was the biggest heartache of my life. Still haven't watched a replay to this day.

I just think our timing is bad, that's all. If that's a curse, so be it.

If it's something that the club could control like timing it isn't a curse.

I'd say we aren't giving ourselves EVERY chance at success. Prelim in point, it was an opportunity slipped - we have the system to beat that team and we didn't.

This is just as applicable here as the confused Richmond thread I left it in:

Let me explain this in terms even a Richmond supporter would understand, we play a Grand Final every 2.9 years on average!

And we have employed the strategy mother nature herself gave to men, the spray! come on a journey with me through time as we explore the very nature of gender and statistical probability as applied to football

You see women protect a single egg every month, they have an investment in saying no, they want the best genetic material possible because they only get one shot at it each month, they can't be wasting something that precious on every Tom tiny Dick and Harry

But men, well lets just say we got a different mandate, as opposed to a single egg we've got millions of sperm, we don't isolate a single target, we were given the sacred assignment to spread our seed as far and wide as possible to give the species it's best shot at survival, it's why no relationship can ever really work without enormous compromise on our part (you're welcome ladies) but I digress

Collingwood likewise has employed the spray, you might have a better conversion rate, but we just keep coming and coming and coming, and when that strike rate turns, by god it's going to be ugly

Because you can toss a coin a dozen times and only get a few heads... but sooner or later it's going to reverse, it must by every law of the universe come back to the mean average

And that's when the premiership race will effectively be over for the next century or two

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Are we cursed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back