Are we cursed?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it's more to do with the holy trinity coming out of contract next year, if you sign anyone else you are committing to years and money and restrict keeping Goo, Grunge and Moar
It just seems like we're risking another year in favour of the future. Good recruiters can find better contributors than Reid and Varcoe elsewhere on similarly cheap coin, either at rival clubs or in the state leagues. I'm not saying Derek and Ned aren't good recruiters and managers, I just think the decision to keep these two has-beens is awfully uninspiring and is immediately leaving us short handed compared to other contenders.

Sounds like it’s tome for you to walk away from the black and white.

Why not try the Tigers?
Sounds like it’s tome for you to walk away from the black and white.

Why not try the Tigers?

If you take the 2019 documentary, From the Inside Out on face value, I find it rather interesting that the bloke you clearly admire, Buckley, is attempting to change the club's chest beating/arrogant self image from within. All plaudits to him and I admire him for taking on a very difficult task. However, externally, most supporters operate/behave in the polar opposite way to their hero. I find this rather paradoxical.

Strangely enough could it be that supporters like me are more aligned to Buckley's mindset/methods than those who glowingly sing his praises and perpetuate how great this club is. If Buckley unlocks the key that results in material change to this club, then he truly will be hailed as one of the greats. I wish him well.

If you take the 2019 documentary, From the Inside Out on face value, I find it rather interesting that the bloke you clearly admire, Buckley, is attempting to change the club's chest beating/arrogant self image from within. All plaudits to him and I admire him for taking on a very difficult task. However, externally, most supporters operate/behave in the polar opposite way to their hero. I find this rather paradoxical.

Strangely enough could it be that supporters like me are more aligned to Buckley's mindset/methods than those who glowingly sing his praises and perpetuate how great this club is. If Buckley unlocks the key that results in material change to this club, then he truly will be hailed as one of the greats. I wish him well.
You keep going on and on about the past. We are Collingwood supporters, we know all about it.
Are you trying to rub our noses in it?

No - in answer to the thread title.

Mostly we’re not good enough. Occasionally we choke. Or we’re mismanaged or poorly coached. Or injuries or suspensions hit us at exactly the wrong time.

Sometimes none of the above happen and we win a flag.
I can smell a history making 4 in a row coming VP.
Start stocking that fridge.
Unless the AFL decide to "conjur" a team from Tassy and the comp gets arse r*ped ala GC, GWS, Swans so they get a flag in the next 5 years.

Not only us Collingwood supporters but the whole footy world altogether have had the wool pulled over their eyes of how "good a club we are and have been throughout the leagues history".

One could argue the club meets all the metrics except the most important one, and because we contend so regularly everyone including ourselves (us supporters) over rate us.

Literally at the bottom of this page there's a thread "We stopped Richmond from winning 3 in a row" apologies Nicco_jj but that is loser mentality if that is something to be proud of - and that's what the article I linked earlier alluded to. I doubt blose and bomb out fans would be boasting stopping a speculated 3 peat.

Seems Buckley isn't one of the "fans" and I'd hope the club aren't as accepting of our "success" as what the fans are.

The real 64k question is IF the way in which we the fans (and largely the footy world) hoodwink ourselves actually has an effect on the club and if so what will the club do about it?

It wouldn't be a bad start if us the fans actually looked at the club in the mirror and realize that we make excuses for wasting opportunities instead just admitting we waste opportunities. Time to stop pretending once and for all.

Supporters have nothing to do with the performance of the team. Your arguement is garbage, your true intentions clear for all to see.

You may not "need" to, but if you want to make a more informed opinion about this discussion then yes you'll need to.
I don’t need to make an opinion. I’ve barracked for the team for over 40 years. They are a huge part of my life. I know we are a great club. I don’t care about convincing others of it. If I want to criticise people who disagree, I will.

15 flags, the biggest show in town as attendances year in year out prove, always in it up to our neck and the only reason these discussions start is everyone wishes they were us

God in his infinite wisdom upon seeing us dominate the premiership ladder for over 60 years (longer than the other 17 clubs put together) and understanding that we would street the competition has chosen to handicap us in Grand Finals deeming 3 attempts for a flag fair on the rest of the clubs. Our historical win rate would see us with 25 flags and the competition would be over... there would be no exciting race for the little clubs like Carlton and Essendon (the 2 greatest sanctioned cheats of the game) Collingwood has always carried this competition on it's shoulders

We simply can't afford to be as good as we actually, we have to leave something for the other clubs fans, they're human too, well not Richmond fans of course but you know what I mean

Floreat Pica

Premiership cups.jpg

Last edited:
I don’t need to make an opinion. I’ve barracked for the team for over 40 years. They are a huge part of my life. I know we are a great club. I don’t care about convincing others of it. If I want to criticise people who disagree, I will.

You don't need to tell anyone we are great club, the bulk would agree with you. Could be a lot greater, could be the greatest, problem is with us supporters (most of us) and largely the footy world we over rate ourselves, and the article speculates whether the "excuse" mentality is sub consciously effecting the club.

I seriously doubt it, but if it's not that then why is it we keep wasting opportunities? Or will you just come up some blind optimism? Like we'll win it next year with no substance as to the why.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not cursed, it's just extremely hard to win a premiership nowadays, and we pi**ed away golden opportunities in 2018 and 19, opportunities that might not come again for a long time.
We didn't piss them away. We pissed away 1970. In 2018-19 we just weren't quite good enough.

We didn't piss them away. We pi**ed away 1970. In 2018-19 we just weren't quite good enough.
We weren't good enough this year, that is true, but when you lose after kicking the first 5 goals in a Grand final, there is no excuse. That has nothing to do with a curse or bad luck its just a terrible performance.

We weren't good enough this year, that is true, but when you lose after kicking the first 5 goals in a Grand final, there is no excuse. That has nothing to do with a curse or bad luck its just a terrible performance.
We played WCE 3 times at the back end of last year. In all those games, we came close due to having a period of controlling the game, but they were better for the majority of the contest and won. They were better than us for 3 quarters and thus won the Granny. It wasn't us dropping the bundle, it was where the two teams sat compared with each other. They were just a little bit better than us. That's my take anyway.

2018 we had a massive lead and then panicked and completely shat the bed. 2019 our 2nd and 3rd quarters were frankly an embarrassment against a team decimated by injuries and suspensions.
5 goals in a 3 and a third quarters is hardly an unassailable lead. Watch the game again. We didn't panic and shit the bed at all. We didn't do much wrong. We just didn't do quite enough right. We held up magnificently in defence, but we couldn't crack their defensive system. We relied all game on conjuring goals from half chances and we conjured one too few.

It just seems like we're risking another year in favour of the future. Good recruiters can find better contributors than Reid and Varcoe elsewhere on similarly cheap coin, either at rival clubs or in the state leagues. I'm not saying Derek and Ned aren't good recruiters and managers, I just think the decision to keep these two has-beens is awfully uninspiring and is immediately leaving us short handed compared to other contenders.

They are good, but not great, cause if they were great we would have another Premiership Cup in our cabinet.

We stopped Richmond from winning 3 in a row!

that thread is closed but this shit is open for every fake jealous supporter? **** off

You don't need to tell anyone we are great club, the bulk would agree with you. Could be a lot greater, could be the greatest, problem is with us supporters (most of us) and largely the footy world we over rate ourselves, and the article speculates whether the "excuse" mentality is sub consciously effecting the club.

I seriously doubt it, but if it's not that then why is it we keep wasting opportunities? Or will you just come up some blind optimism? Like we'll win it next year with no substance as to the why.
I don’t have the answers you seek. Support the club how you want, I will do the same.

5 goals in a 3 and a third quarters is hardly an unassailable lead. Watch the game again. We didn't panic and shit the bed at all. We didn't do much wrong. We just didn't do quite enough right. We held up magnificently in defence, but we couldn't crack their defensive system. We relied all game on conjuring goals from half chances and we conjured one too few.
we completely changed our game plan after the first quarter. Time and time again we just kicked the ball long down the line to a side well known for the marking prowess. Played right into there hands, no fast ball movement, no players trying to make space. Our main players having shockers, Steele even won the Leon davis medal for worse on field. Tell me how a player of his ability comes 44th on the field in performance?

I didn’t read it, no need.

Not only us Collingwood supporters but the whole footy world altogether have had the wool pulled over their eyes of how "good a club we are and have been throughout the leagues history".

One could argue the club meets all the metrics except the most important one, and because we contend so regularly everyone including ourselves (us supporters) over rate us.

Literally at the bottom of this page there's a thread "We stopped Richmond from winning 3 in a row" apologies Nicco_jj but that is loser mentality if that is something to be proud of - and that's what the article I linked earlier alluded to. I doubt blose and bomb out fans would be boasting stopping a speculated 3 peat.

Seems Buckley isn't one of the "fans" and I'd hope the club aren't as accepting of our "success" as what the fans are.

The real 64k question is IF the way in which we the fans (and largely the footy world) hoodwink ourselves actually has an effect on the club and if so what will the club do about it?

It wouldn't be a bad start if us the fans actually looked at the club in the mirror and realize that we make excuses for wasting opportunities instead just admitting we waste opportunities. Time to stop pretending once and for all.

Mate, I know my position on Collingwood creates much heated debate and I know why. This article confirms why. It's a great article so congrats for locating it and bringing it to our attention. Nothing worse than some perceived smart ass driving home something you don't want to believe nor hear even if in your deepest recesses, there may be some merit in the argument. Best and most obvious forms of defence - get personally abusive, question his loyalties, tell him to f--k off and barrack for some other club. To be honest, I'd probably do the same in their shoes.

JMac and many others are at the nose bleed end of those supporters who will not tolerate such perceived disloyalty. I get it. That's why I never personally attack him back.

However I firmly believe that the collective of Collingwood supporters have a major role to play in this culture that the article espouses. And having the current Prez at the helm really doesn't help in this regard.

Again great article.

Remove this Banner Ad

Are we cursed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back