Are we cursed?

Remove this Banner Ad

I give them credit for having the lowest injury rate in the league for the last 5 or so years - THAT is the difference.

If we had not been pigheaded in refusing to admit our new training ground was causing problems we would have matched or bettered them.

Don't drink the Richmond media mafia mate - they have been in the fortunate with injuries and reaped the rewards.

That has nothing to do with admin.

You can’t just put down their success to a lack of injuries. The club off the field is extremely strong and very well run.

They had injuries to their best 3 players this season and brought in kids who adapted well and flourished. Their depth looks excellent.

They take risks. Their recruiting has been strong. Lynch chose the Richmond Footy Club over us (who he supported and must have counted for at least something) and the Hawks. This tells me they are not just a ‘flash in the pan’ winning because of a lack of injuries. They are a well run club, successful off the field as well as on it.

If you think a lack of injuries has made them like this, you are very naive.

You can’t just put down their success to a lack of injuries. The club off the field is extremely strong and very well run.

They had injuries to their best 3 players this season and brought in kids who adapted well and flourished. Their depth looks excellent.

They take risks. Their recruiting has been strong. Lynch chose the Richmond Footy Club over us (who he supported and must have counted for at least something) and the Hawks. This tells me they are not just a ‘flash in the pan’ winning because of a lack of injuries. They are a well run club, successful off the field as well as on it.

If you think a lack of injuries has made them like this, you are very naive.
Pot kettle black sunshine.

Injuries are the ONE intangible that no club can control - in the end it is the one dominant determinant for every club in every season.

If you believe otherwise you have no idea of the inner mechanics of any team sport.

Exactly, no coincidence Richmond's VFL team won a flag as well.

Meanwhile Collingwood has paper thin depth and a VFL team that failed to make finals. Heading into 2020, Ben Reid/Cox are the main KPF on the list...let that sink in.

I give them credit for having the lowest injury rate in the league for the last 5 or so years - THAT is the difference.

If we had not been pigheaded in refusing to admit our new training ground was causing problems we would have matched or bettered them.

Don't drink the Richmond media mafia mate - they have been in the fortunate with injuries and reaped the rewards.

That has nothing to do with admin.

What a massive contradiction......if in fact it’s proven our training ground is responsible for our injuries.

Pot kettle black sunshine.

Injuries are the ONE intangible that no club can control - in the end it is the one dominant determinant for every club in every season.

If you believe otherwise you have no idea of the inner mechanics of any team sport.
If that’s what you believe, then our administration has failed miserably to fix the problem. Who makes the decision to ensure the club has the best medical people and best training facilities?

We are cursed.

Adam treloar leaves gws for collingwood over richmond. 2 flags at richmond since.

Tom lynch leaves gcs for richmond over pies, immediately wins a flag. If he'd come to collingwood we wouldve missed the 8.

Collingwood, generally speaking, is allergic to success.

If that’s what you believe, then our administration has failed miserably to fix the problem. Who makes the decision to ensure the club has the best medical people and best training facilities?
That is a board decision and it's not a matter of fixing it but a matter of admitting it.

Anyway I have had enough of giving your agenda air time.

Moving on.

Do try to keep up . . .

You are the one creaming yourself over Richmond's admin . .

So

It has nothing to do with admin

FMD some people.
Ok champ.

So you have either had a career as a sporting administrator of a very successful club or you’re full of excuses for the life you lead.

Let’s move on.

We are not the biggest and the best club, we are in fact the most arrogant club. No where near hawthorn, or richmond.

2010/11/12 should have been our 'dynasty' moment. Even winning 2/3 there would put us up there with richmond, geelong and hawks.

I include richmond because they are winning flags in a period post-expansion clubs where the young talent isnt as diluted and spread more evenly across the league, as opposed to being concentrated in two new clubs and thus creating a lower quality comp across the board.

Organisations need to move forward, refresh and refocus as a matter of imperative.
There is a danger of entrenchment, defensiveness and lack of objectivity if you do not.
If leaders remain too long - they end up being stymied by their own history.
Not happy with key staff? What response do you have when you appointed them all?
Open to new ideas in the Boardroom? Is that the case when all Board members owe allegiance to who appointed them?
Not happy with the facilities of the organisation? What do you do when it was you that commissioned and built them?
You run reviews of the organisation, but they are internally driven. You really are not looking for objectivity.
Why do you think corporate boards and CEO’s change so often?
A robust forward thinking organisation would built change management and renewal into its profile.
As soon as personnel (particularly key management) become entrenched, then ideas, actions, plans and responses become entrenched.

So I was watching a bit of the 2018 Grand Final and the mad scramble in the last 6-7 minutes with foray after foray forward - Collingwood players not creating more stoppages but trying to clear the ball and have failed attempts at goal. Eagles kick that goal and just lock it down for the last 2 minutes. Similar to this year’s Prelim, it’s just a war zone with no chance of getting a clean ball out, then the siren.

I still remember watching the ‘02 Grand Final, the ‘07 Prelim and makes you wonder, are we cursed as a club?

It took a game against an even more cursed club to win our first premiership in 20 years, and even then, we almost bottled that up in the first GF.

Games/Grand Finals like ‘03 I can take/forget because we just weren’t good enough and got slammed, but games like last year’s GF and the Prelim last week bloody burn, they hurt.

All the talk of this year’s GF, and I personally DGAF. I really wouldn’t care who wins on Saturday. Just feeling numbness when it comes to footy. Do we have to go through the same thing again in 2020? Is it all worth the heartache?
Watching the Gf yesterday re-affirmed that the only curse inflicted on collingwood is self-inflicted. They made arrogant team selections in a prelim, got beaten by a decimated team who should have got no where near us. Proven by how GWS performed yesterday. I think collingwood players would have found it very hard to watch yesterday, knowing they would have been far, far, far more competitive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are not cursed.... However if we keeping doing the same process year after year, you can't expect anything to change.

We need to keep regenerating our President, Staff and Assistant Coaches so new ideas come into the club. Harvey (Senior Assistant Coach who has full control over midefield and midfield coaches) has been at the club since Buckley was appointed. Sanderson has been at the club 3-4 years now overseeing forward line and ball. movement.

Our injury profile has been the worst in the AFL every year since 2012. Maybe we should focus more on core stability? and not recruiting chronically injured hacks

We keep paying significant overs for crap UFAs/RFA's. Quentin Lynch was shot and Eagles offered him a one year contract on low money. We offered 2 years on $$$. We got two years of crap. Clinton Young had played 52 of 94 games for the Hawks in the 4 years prior to coming to the Pies because of chronic soft tissue injuries. Hawks offered him a modest one year contract. We offered him $$$ over 3 years. He managed 21 of 67 games for us in 3 years because of chronic injuries. We were seemingly non-deterred by the Quentin Lynch experiment that we pursued Jesse White, who was not a KPF or a ruckman and had only managed 71 games inconsistent games over 6 years with the Swans. Ditto.. we offered him $$$$ and years that Sydney was never willing to. I think Sydney would know better than us. He managed 56 of 88 mainly poor games with us over 4 years. Ditto for Wells, Mayne, Varcoe and Greenwood

We are not cursed.... However if we keeping doing the same process year after year, you can't expect anything to change.

We need to keep regenerating our President, Staff and Assistant Coaches so new ideas come into the club. Harvey (Senior Assistant Coach who has full control over midefield and midfield coaches) has been at the club since Buckley was appointed. Sanderson has been at the club 3-4 years now overseeing forward line and ball. movement.

Our injury profile has been the worst in the AFL every year since 2012. Maybe we should focus more on core stability? and not recruiting chronically injured hacks

We keep paying significant overs for crap UFAs/RFA's. Quentin Lynch was shot and Eagles offered him a one year contract on low money. We offered 2 years on $$$. We got two years of crap. Clinton Young had played 52 of 94 games for the Hawks in the 4 years prior to coming to the Pies because of chronic soft tissue injuries. Hawks offered him a modest one year contract. We offered him $$$ over 3 years. He managed 21 of 67 games for us in 3 years because of chronic injuries. We were seemingly non-deterred by the Quentin Lynch experiment that we pursued Jesse White, who was not a KPF or a ruckman and had only managed 71 games inconsistent games over 6 years with the Swans. Ditto.. we offered him $$$$ and years that Sydney was never willing to. I think Sydney would know better than us. He managed 56 of 88 mainly poor games with us over 4 years. Ditto for Wells, Mayne, Varcoe and Greenwood

I agree with the mismanagement part over time.

However we're good enough now, right now - even with our uber poor recruiting, JDG and Levi out we're good enough mainly because of our system. Last week was a prime example of why did we waste yet another opportunity. We wast more opportunities than any other club by a ridiculous margin - the amount of lost GF's is testament to that fact.

In summary I know we're not cursed but maybe the thread question should be "Why do we keep wasting opportunities that we make for ourselves"

After we have made the gf and a prelim the last 2 years is a funny time to be asking that question about Ed. What is the driver for change at the moment in your opinion?
I’m not on the Eddie must leave bandwagon whatsoever, but if it’s good enough for Malthouse to go after a flag, why isn’t it good enough for Eddie after a GF and Prelim?

I ultimately agree, but if you're in charge of a football club you need to take the attitude that leaves as little to chance as possible. Otherwise it's kind of accepting that bad luck just happens, and there was never any thing you could have done or changed about it, and nothing to learn going forward that might prevent it happening again. Bad football luck isn't often actual bad luck like a genetic disease or something, it's more often than not the ultimate product of decisions made before and during a game by many people that cultivates at that moment.

I think your opening sentence says it all. If you are leading by ten goals with a minute to go, luck won't be a factor.

Players aren't idiots. They already know whether it was poor decision making or terrible skills which cost them a game or simply rotten luck. Bucks said we get what we deserve after the GF last year. You'd think we would have learned from that loss if there was any learning to be found. We lost by less than a kick again. We will be looking to graduate with honours with the amount of learning we have done in recent years. :huh:

If Adams hits the pill on the pointy end instead of its belly when 15 metres out with four minutes remaining, we win the grand final. That's how such a game is decided. Nothing to be learned. If Sheed had fumbled and dropped that simple mark in the pocket just like his mate Darling did a minute later-we win the game. What do you take out of a game like that? If Sheed had missed as he would normally do in the same circumstances we would all be lauding the flag as one of the greatest ever won by our club. Bad luck boys. Move on.

Your attitude of not calling it bad luck because that means nothing can be taken from the defeat to focus on and learn from reminds me of all those cancer books which say you brought the cancer on yourself with your poor eating habits/lifestyle/negative thinking so you can also cure yourself of cancer by "fixing" those alleged reasons for getting it in the first place. It sells books and makes people feel like they have some control over their fate but it is mostly crap. Smoking and a terrible diet can increase chances of certain cancers but for the most part the expression " shit happens" is far more honest and true.

I agree with the mismanagement part over time.

However we're good enough now, right now - even with our uber poor recruiting, JDG and Levi out we're good enough mainly because of our system. Last week was a prime example of why did we waste yet another opportunity. We wast more opportunities than any other club by a ridiculous margin - the amount of lost GF's is testament to that fact.

In summary I know we're not cursed but maybe the thread question should be "Why do we keep wasting opportunities that we make for ourselves"
That is exactly what we do as a club.... we keep wasting opportunities.

We keep believing near enough is good enough. How often do we hear after a GF loss that we did better than 17 other teams. Unless you win it means nothing. My concern is the club will think we are good enough, and we will continue to top up with more UFA that we have paid a fortune for in $$$, and who have been injured or in the decline for years, and we suddenly think they will become a world beater. Lets put more effort into identifying young key position players via the Draft and work towards putting time, effort and money into them.

That is exactly what we do as a club.... we keep wasting opportunities.

We keep believing near enough is good enough. How often do we hear after a GF loss that we did better than 17 other teams. Unless you win it means nothing. My concern is the club will think we are good enough, and we will continue to top up with more UFA that we have paid a fortune for in $$$, and who have been injured or in the decline for years, and we suddenly think they will become a world beater. Lets put more effort into identifying young key position players via the Draft and work towards putting time, effort and money into them.
Mate there are 17 other teams and 6 of them are HEAVILY subsidized by the AFL - for any core team to make the GF is like climbing a mountain.

Those are the FACTS.

Watching the Gf yesterday re-affirmed that the only curse inflicted on collingwood is self-inflicted. They made arrogant team selections in a prelim, got beaten by a decimated team who should have got no where near us. Proven by how GWS performed yesterday. I think collingwood players would have found it very hard to watch yesterday, knowing they would have been far, far, far more competitive.
Stop swallowing the media narrative. We were missing just as many key players. The only difference was most of ours had been missing for months-not a week or two like Greene and Whitfield. Langdon, Cox, DeGoey, Beams and Greenwood fit and healthy make a huge difference to our chances of winning.

Stop swallowing the media narrative. We were missing just as many key players. The only difference was most of ours had been missing for months-not a week or two like Greene and Whitfield. Langdon, Cox, DeGoey, Beams and Greenwood fit and healthy make a huge difference to our chances of winning.
Umm yeh so we had quite a while to adjust to these missing players.... whilst they did not. Sounds like you are creating your own narrative to make yourself feel good. Reality is, another year, another ****ed up opportunity by the collingwood football club....

Remove this Banner Ad

Are we cursed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back