Game Day Around The Grounds Rounds 16 - 20

Remove this Banner Ad

It worked out very well i think. Bombers fans think they're back as a force again, and that's Collingwood finished off as a contender for this year.

That flag win last year was very lucky/fortuitous i think. It's good to see them exposed for being the one trick ponies that they are this year.

* will crash out of the finals at the very first attempt as per usual. It will be like the Roos under Brad Scott.

Good enough to be competitive without actually being a premiership threat. That's we want a situation where they avoid and continue to avoid rebuilding properly.

Just saw the result and personally couldn’t be happier with it. * are a nothing top 4 side and Collingwood out of the finals and their umpiring advantage is better. Now let’s hope in a few weeks time we can finish them off this year.

With two being interstate we absolutely must finish top 2 and win week one.
Agree, and then again..I reckon we could beat Sydney or Freo at their homes on the day if it comes down to it. ( sydney tough up rhere but we we could if we have to with talent and sheer will.
What’s all this love for *? Ok, if that’s the feeling, we need to get them in the finals and bury Merret’s head into the turf and make Sheedy’s disciples cry in the stands like we did in 99.
PIes made 'em look good.

It worked out very well i think. Bombers fans think they're back as a force again, and that's Collingwood finished off as a contender for this year.

That flag win last year was very lucky/fortuitous i think. It's good to see them exposed for being the one trick ponies that they are this year.

* will crash out of the finals at the very first attempt as per usual. It will be like the Roos under Brad Scott.

Good enough to be competitive without actually being a premiership threat. That's we want a situation where they avoid and continue to avoid rebuilding properly.
I wouldn’t mind a ‘lucky’ flag

I wouldn’t mind a ‘lucky’ flag
They were lucky in particular in that prelim final against GWS i think. The Pies did well to snatch a flag before their older players retire.

I think they could be in for a tough couple of years when that happens. I certainly would be delighted if such a scenario comes to pass!

Exactly I’m not sure how you fluke a flag…
Well you knock out one of the opposition's best players early in the first final and allow them to have more scoring shots and still win . In your second final you sneak home by one point having had the rub of the green from the umpires in front of a loud home crowd. Then you win the grand final by less than a kick in a match that could have gone either way.

Clearly the correct word is more lucky than fluke. I'd be be more than happy to take it if we did the same (apart from the knocking out of Brayshaw thing).

They were lucky in particular in that prelim final against GWS i think. The Pies did well to snatch a flag before their older players retire.

I think they could be in for a tough couple of years when that happens. I certainly would be delighted if such a scenario comes to pass!
You don’t fluke a flag, but I understand what you’re saying re older players, a lot of those guys played in the losing GF in 2018 and been there about since (except for covid) i agree they’re about to fall off a cliff with older players and yes DELIGHTFUL

Pies board a bit quiet.

Btw pies will probably be out of the 8 so does that mean * still wouldn’t have beaten anyone in the 8??????

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pies are cooked at the moment - Essendon still haven’t beaten anyone at the height of their powers as yet.

And McCrae let the cat out of the bag with his comments about not wanting to be that team - that is the team that is always coming back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well you knock out one of the opposition's best players early in the first final and allow them to have more scoring shots and still win . In your second final you sneak home by one point having had the rub of the green from the umpires in front of a loud home crowd. Then you win the grand final by less than a kick in a match that could have gone either way.

Clearly the correct word is more lucky than fluke. I'd be be more than happy to take it if we did the same (apart from the knocking out of Brayshaw thing).
Luck yes, you do need some luck I suppose, like our Freo win this year ? Of course a close game can go either way lol

You don’t fluke a flag, but I understand what you’re saying re older players, a lot of those guys played in the losing GF in 2018 and been there about since (except for covid) i agree they’re about to fall off a cliff with older players and yes DELIGHTFUL
I said they benefited from a fair bit of luck. Fluke implies that it wasn't a deserved flag win.

They still deserved their flag. Anyway yes if Carlton do the same we sure won't be complaining!

I’ll put more stock on how Essendon are going after they play a 12th placed Melbourne next week - than a depleted and cooked Collingwood last night.
Sadly I think the Dees are cooked too.

They are so disorganised forward of centre and have really struggled to apply the midfield/forward pressure that used to overwhelm opposition forward lines.

They wont make the 8 this year.

* have truly been given the most armchair ride this year, and whilst that may prove to be a false positive, belief can do wonders for players and winning is the best tonic for belief.

Makes me a little sick thinking that through!!!!!!

What’s all this love for *? Ok, if that’s the feeling, we need to get them in the finals and bury Merret’s head into the turf and make Sheedy’s disciples cry in the stands like we did in 99.
I have a photo of me at the G in front of the FT score at the 2011 final we flogged them by 10 goals and I just want to update it with the same photo of a 100 point flogging 😁

Last edited:
Exactly I’m not sure how you fluke a flag…

Completely agree. Teams might have a good run with injuries, or get lucky and win a close game or 2 along the way but premierships are very hard to win

I’ll put more stock on how Essendon are going after they play a 12th placed Melbourne next week - than a depleted and cooked Collingwood last night.

wot? They had 17 'premiership players' flopping around last night and managed 40 tackles for the game.

All that has happened to Collingwood is that teams have figured out to cover the corridor and run each way keeping pressure on their playmakers - apparently teams arent allowed to tag Naicos....this is a new phenomenon tagging opposition's playmaker is it?

Injuries please.

wot? They had 17 'premiership players' flopping around last night and managed 40 tackles for the game.

All that has happened to Collingwood is that teams have figured out to cover the corridor and run each way keeping pressure on their playmakers - apparently teams arent allowed to tag Naicos....this is a new phenomenon tagging opposition's playmaker is it?

Injuries please.

I meant “depleted” as in lacking in energy - but you’re right they have also been found out, it’s hard being the hunter when you are the hunted.

;)

Pies run home:

Geelong, Hawthorn, Richmond, Carlton, Sydney (Away), Brisbane (Home), Melbourne.

Tough run.

Essendon run home:

Melbourne, Adelaide (Home), St Kilda, Fremantle (Home), Gold Coast (Home), Sydney (Home), Brisbane (Away)

I can see 4-5 wins there no problem. They should finish top 4 from here.
There is a very real chance Pies could do a Geelong and miss finals after a flag.......

Why does that make me so warm inside? :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back