Game Day Around The Grounds Rounds 16 - 20

Remove this Banner Ad

He doesn't average two goals a game being the primary tall target with that midfield.

As far as not missing goes. 19.13 with 6 out on the full. Even if we take away the 6 OOF.

Mihocek -- 59.4%
Curnow - 61.33% (46.29)
McKay - 70.9% (39.16)

Statistically with that midfield Mohocek's numbers are absolutely putrid and he's not as accurate as either of our two KPF both of whom have been criticized for their accuracy.

He literally would have to go 20.3 to match McKay.

He's a mediocre player at best but he's vital to their structures and they have nobody else good enough to play the role.
I think you’re right, Wickzki. And I say that even though as a Tasmanian, I kind of admire the career Mihocek has put together.

Somebody made the point earlier that Collingwood aren’t missing many players. But the truth is they are a well coached side, where the sum of the whole is more than the sum of the parts. They have a whole lot of role players.

So while the players they currently have out don’t look like much chop, they miss them because they are better at performing their roles than the reinforcements.

Watching them last night, it was clear how much of what they do still relies on Pendlebury and Sidebottom. If Cripps and Docherty are still performing that well at the same age, then we will be laughing.

I think you’re right, Wickzki. And I say that even though as a Tasmanian, I kind of admire the career Mihocek has put together.

Somebody made the point earlier that Collingwood aren’t missing many players. But the truth is they are a well coached side, where the sum of the whole is more than the sum of the parts. They have a whole lot of role players.

So while the players they currently have out don’t look like much chop, they miss them because they are better at performing their roles than the reinforcements.

Watching them last night, it was clear how much of what they do still relies on Pendlebury and Sidebottom. If Cripps and Docherty are still performing that well at the same age, then we will be laughing.
Pendles is still good don't get me wrong. But you can see that cliff looming up each week. Can still contribute but can't impact like he used to. But point taken I'd be delighted if Cripps was still contributing coming up to 400 games.

The more I see Watson play the more I don't get it. If he was a second or third rounder I'd be fine with it but a top 5 pick? For a short, slow small forward with poor conversion?

What am I missing?
Had some pre draft debate on the subject. Will be “a player”, but the hype is ridiculous. While small, he matured early. The hype that Twomey and the other fan boy commentators threw up was over the top. It was evident in his ‘18s’ year that the group was catching up. Will have his days and could play a couple of hundred games, but I would be reluctant to trade our small forwards for him.

This is why come season’s end, we might be very surprised what Owies is offered for a trade. Many don’t get it, in this era substance and work rate is at least as important as flash and flair.

Hate when we have clashing games. Useless AFL could at least stage them by a half or even a quarter.
What I hate more is that we are the last game of the round next week (sunday 4:40pm) but the first the week after...a 5 day break.

I get theres so many considerations in the schedule but surely this could be avoided.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He doesn't average two goals a game being the primary tall target with that midfield.
... this year.

This season, Mihocek's played 11 from a possible 17 games; this, down from 24, 23 and 21 in the previous three years. As we know - arguably better than anyone - continuity is absolutely pivotal as far as form is concerned, which is why...
As far as not missing goes. 19.13 with 6 out on the full. Even if we take away the 6 OOF.

Mihocek -- 59.4%
Curnow - 61.33% (46.29)
McKay - 70.9% (39.16)

Statistically with that midfield Mohocek's numbers are absolutely putrid and he's not as accurate as either of our two KPF both of whom have been criticized for their accuracy.

He literally would have to go 20.3 to match McKay.
... his kicking and game has been off this year.

In 2023, he kicked 47 goals, 26 behinds; in 2022, he kicked 41 goals, 25 behinds. Combined, that's 88 goals, 51 behinds for an accuracy of 63%.

These are not the numbers of a scrub, Wick.
He's a mediocre player at best but he's vital to their structures and they have nobody else good enough to play the role.
I really don't agree. One of the problems I have with modern AFL discourse is an inability to give credit where it's due. I hate the shit out of Dustin Martin (and think around half the fendoffs he got away with were illegally high) but I acknowledge he was an amazing, brutal footballer and that Richmond side's role players certainly weren't the scrubs others seem to think they were.

There's something of a 'that was the worst ton I've ever seen!' about how we talk about opp. players and achievements. You don't have to like him, but it denies the quality of actually winning a flag and being the club leading goal kicker in a premiership side to dismiss him as mediocre.

And Freo are a huge threat this year. They're very different to all other contenders - everyone else is a striker where they're a wrestler - but they're very good. Got a lot of the pieces, play with desperation.
Disagree. If they come up against the swans in a big final, they’re getting belted. They aren’t powerful enough, scoring wise, their backline is suspect with quick and deep entries, inconsistent forwards, and they’ve only had one statement win. And even then, it took a missed shot on the siren to win it. They’re good, but they’re about the 7th best team in the comp at the moment

Disagree. If they come up against the swans in a big final, they’re getting belted. They aren’t powerful enough, scoring wise, their backline is suspect with quick and deep entries, inconsistent forwards, and they’ve only had one statement win. And even then, it took a missed shot on the siren to win it. They’re good, but they’re about the 7th best team in the comp at the moment
Of all the sides in it, I have the most confidence in their performance away from home. Everyone else is a bit vulnerable away, IMO.

I think a game at the G is a problem for Sydney where it isn't as much of one for Freo.

... this year.

This season, Mihocek's played 11 from a possible 17 games; this, down from 24, 23 and 21 in the previous three years. As we know - arguably better than anyone - continuity is absolutely pivotal as far as form is concerned, which is why...

... his kicking and game has been off this year.

In 2023, he kicked 47 goals, 26 behinds; in 2022, he kicked 41 goals, 25 behinds. Combined, that's 88 goals, 51 behinds for an accuracy of 63%.

These are not the numbers of a scrub, Wick.

I really don't agree. One of the problems I have with modern AFL discourse is an inability to give credit where it's due. I hate the shit out of Dustin Martin (and think around half the fendoffs he got away with were illegally high) but I acknowledge he was an amazing, brutal footballer and that Richmond side's role players certainly weren't the scrubs others seem to think they were.

There's something of a 'that was the worst ton I've ever seen!' about how we talk about opp. players and achievements. You don't have to like him, but it denies the quality of actually winning a flag and being the club leading goal kicker in a premiership side to dismiss him as mediocre.

Frankly, I could care less what a player has done in the past. I'm judging him on his performance this year.

Certainly I'll acknowledge that he's had an interrupted season but even when he has playwd without injury (rounds 0 to 8 where the only game he missed was their bye round) his production was near the level he was at last year.

He has dropped off this year and "around the grounds" is a discussion what's happening now.

That said I'll stick with my initial point -- they miss him regardless of how he's played this year. They have no one who is KP height who gives them much of anything that even a down year Mihocek does. They'd get the ball at half back and wing last night and then have nowhere to go with it. No targets presenting themselves. No targets to hit up down the line. Without Mihocek and to a lesser extent Cox they're completely lost.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Around The Grounds Rounds 16 - 20

Remove this Banner Ad

Back