As a player where does Cuz sit?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Interested in peoples views on where Cousins sits as a player in the overall sceme of things.

No doubt he has been one of the greatest midfielders of the modern era.

In my view West Coasts greatest player.

Where will he sit in regards to the history of the game as a player?

Top 50, top 100???

Thoughts on this guys!

Pretty sure Sheahan put him in his top 50 of the 20th century (#46 I think)

The guy was a dead set superstar. Freakish gut-running and a true leader.

Judd rates him as the best he's seen, so I guess that puts him in the highest echelon available for contemporary midfielders.

Top 50 & 100 lists are too subjective, but he'd be in my top 50.
Problem is he played for WC.
If had played for Coll, Carl or Ess he'd be easily mentioned in the same sentence as Hird, Voss, Buckley etc..

Like you said, e of the greatest midfielders of the modern era.

I actually think he had more influence on matches than Hird, Voss and Buckley to be honest. His work ethic and gut busting running were exceptional.

Easily top 5 I have seen in the last 20 years and no doubt an all time great

Right next to Hird, Buckley, Riccuto, Voss, Black & Aker as one of the best midfielders over the past 15 years.

This pretty much sums it up.

Was watching his highlights last night and as strange as it is, I'd give anything to see him back in blue and gold at his peak. He was amazing. All those years (sort of) wasted yelling abuse at him.:(

You're not alone there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the greats of his era no doubt,wonder if he will be considered as a mid coach,would be great to see him back at the Eagles in some capacity.

Ben Cousins was the architype modern day midfielder. An absolute superstar. Could run all day, was a great user of the ball and a great leader. Will definitely have some Carey / Ablett-esque probelms getting into the Hall of Fame though.

There is also no doubt Chris Judd wouldn't be as good as he was and is without the influence of Ben Cousins.

He'd be higher than #42 after his past 2 seasons

Maybe top 20, I reckon he had more influence on games than players like Michael Voss
I highly doubt that. His past two years have done nothing to change my opinion of him from a pure footballing sense and I'd say most are the same. He could have retired when he left the Eagles and I'd still rate him in the top 10 I have seen. He has had a few good games over the past two years but nothing special.

When Judd, Cousin and Kerr played, Cousins was easily the best imho - hardest worker and most consistent. And thats saying something considering how highly most people rate Judd. Never seen a player push himself as much as Cuz on the field
That is massive wraps!

Excuse my Judd-love here; but will he be remembered as a better player than Judd?

Top 5 easy. I like judd to but would pick cuz before judd. Better then bucks and voss and just as good as hird. If you wanted the complete package he was it. He was a gun in his first year and just got better even when wce were at the bottom in early 2000 he still kicked arse. Had he played his footy in vic he would have been out and out the best in most peoples eyes.

Thanks to richmond footy club for allowing us to see the champ play on for the last few years.

All those years (sort of) wasted yelling abuse at him.:(

Well I was never "sort of" wasted whilst abusing him, it was more the fully fledged variety of wasted, though maybe not on the same level as the man himself.:p

In all seriousness though, he's one of the absolute best I've seen and I couldn't ever get to the point of completely hating him, (no trouble with plenty of other eagles at that time), the notable exception being after the 06 GF.

Shame he got busted for nothing in his car in 2007 because he was in unbelievable form that preseason and would have won the Brownlow that year IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

As a player where does Cuz sit?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back