As a player where does Cuz sit?

Remove this Banner Ad

Cuz would have to be top 50. One thing tho i don't think his career is over at this minute. keep an eye out for Cuzzy ending up at the Gold Coast next season. Yes you heard it first. Him and Mckenna have been having talks and rumour is he will play for the Gold Coast next season.

Judd plays for pay = uninspiring.

Cousins plays for the ball and to win = Inspiring.

So Judd doesn't play to win ??? ...then what was his fist pump whilst sitting on the bench and Carlton kicked a goal to completely seal the game ?

You richmond supporters had Cousins for 2 years at your club ..and in that time he was in the headlines time and time again for all the wrong reason..going into a coma after overdosing on prescription drugs is hardly inspiring .

So Judd doesn't play to win ??? ...then what was his fist pump whilst sitting on the bench and Carlton kicked a goal to completely seal the game ?

You richmond supporters had Cousins for 2 years at your club ..and in that time he was in the headlines time and time again for all the wrong reason..going into a coma after overdosing on prescription drugs is hardly inspiring .

Pressure points.

Clearly being an Environmental Ambassador hasnt inspired the kids either.

I shall await with baited breath the release of the Swine's doco revealing exactly how he earned his extra dollars and tips for young men on how to eye gouge, win friends and get away with it.

One of my favourite players to watch. The amount of times he murdered us became painful to watch, but was still great nonetheless. Would have been good to see him play 1 more year, but atleast he's gone out on a high note playing decent footy.

I think that's a rather ignorant assumption.Another interesting opinion. He was probably fortunate it was the AFL who were out to get him rather than Federal police.

Yea because the Federal Police thoroughly investigate recreational drug users and drug addicts as opposed to those who import them. :rolleyes:

Ben Cousins was the architype modern day midfielder. An absolute superstar. Could run all day, was a great user of the ball and a great leader. Will definitely have some Carey / Ablett-esque probelms getting into the Hall of Fame though.

There is also no doubt Chris Judd wouldn't be as good as he was and is without the influence of Ben Cousins.

Depends on his contributions to the game in coming years. If he can have a positive effect in junior development, coaching or in another capacity then a position is secure.

Champion. But below Buckley, Hird and Voss. Of the mids presently running around, I'd have Judd and Ablett ahead of him too.

i tend to agree with this statement that seems to be the minority view at the moment.

i believe Judd was a better player at WCE and for those that said Cousins had more influence on a game then Hird and Voss are wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i believe Judd was a better player at WCE and for those that said Cousins had more influence on a game then Hird and Voss are wrong.

As a Bulldogs supporter, do you reckon you watched as many Eagles games as Eagles supporters? Most Eagles supporters I know rate Cuz higher. Which doesnt mean they disrespect Judd, as he was damn good at the Eagles

As a Bulldogs supporter, do you reckon you watched as many Eagles games as Eagles supporters? Most Eagles supporters I know rate Cuz higher. Which doesnt mean they disrespect Judd, as he was damn good at the Eagles

well it doesnt suprise me cause Many Eagle supporters on this forum are bitter of Judd leaving...

Eagles were a good team to watch 04-07 and i saw most of their games, Judd was explosive and broke through packs and stoppages and opened up games in the blink of an eye.

^ This..very good player at the Eagles with Judd and kerr getting the ball out to him....shadow of his former self whilst at the Tigers.

Considering he had 3 all australian selections before Judd even debuted for the club - i think you may have that one wrong. And that by the age of 23.

Pav is probably the only player I can think of that has done that

I personally rated him better than Judd in the Eagle's glory days..
It was touched on before, but I think quite a few of you aren't giving him credit for his work in the late 90s and early 2000s.... As far as leader, from everything I hear, immensely popular, and his team-mates worshiped the ground he walked on, plus he would towel-up all of them in practise ...I may get flamed for this, but I think he was seen as the true captain in that 06 premiership

Name Games Goals Poss Marks Tack GoalAve 5goal+

Hird 253 343 20.8 5.3 2.1 1.4 7+
Voss 289 245 21.4 4.4 2.5 0.8 5+
Buck 280 284 23.1 5.7 3.1 1.0 3+

Cuzz 268 217 23.8 4.0 2.1 0.8 2+

Judd 195 178 23.5 2.5 3.9 0.9 1+

His stats certainly stack up against the other 3 but as this also shows he never was as dominant around the goals. Hird averaged almost twice as many goals. I would say the other 3 could turn matches by going forward better than Cuzz ever could...

As for the comparison against Judd you will see that they are virtually identical which IMO is about right.

I personally rated him better than Judd in the Eagle's glory days..
It was touched on before, but I think quite a few of you aren't giving him credit for his work in the late 90s and early 2000s.... As far as leader, from everything I hear, immensely popular, and his team-mates worshiped the ground he walked on, plus he would towel-up all of them in practise ...I may get flamed for this, but I think he was seen as the true captain in that 06 premiership

No doubt. On the dais Judd took a back seat so to speak and looked at Cousins as if he was the leader. Judd also looked at him as if to say how can you be so happy.. there's more dollars over east.

Judd plays for pay = uninspiring.

Cousins plays for the ball and to win = Inspiring.

This is not the Bay, my friend.

To suggest that Chris Judd doesn't play to win is an indictment on yourself as a football supporter. The man's strict diet, game preperation and sheer professionalism is legendary amongst the AFL community and his presence alone turned Carlton from a 4-18 team in 2007 to a 10-12 team in 2008.

Judd's ability as a leader should also never be questioned. He may not be a big personality, all encompassing leader like a Jonathan Brown or a Nathan Buckley, but he is highly respected and demands and usually receives the best out of his players. It's no secret that Fev had his two best years with Chris Judd around, and without Judd's leadership in preparation, looks overweight and has had his worst season since 2002.

There have been some bumps along the way, but what club hasn't had these bumps?

I have had the privilege of watching VFL/AFL football live for more than 20 years now all over the country on a regular basis. I can honestly say that Ben Cousins is the best player I have seen play.

He was consistently brilliant. He possessed silky skills, was a natural reader of the play, had gut busted running ability and could inspire his team-mates by leading from example.

I will miss watching him play live.

This is not the Bay, my friend.

To suggest that Chris Judd doesn't play to win is an indictment on yourself as a football supporter. The man's strict diet, game preperation and sheer professionalism is legendary amongst the AFL community and his presence alone turned Carlton from a 4-18 team in 2007 to a 10-12 team in 2008.

You're right, and I conceded. Judd's diet is inspiring(do you know what he eats or what eats him or whether he eats rebecca or whether she eats him?)... its all irrelevant.. Everything eats something and I know Id like to be eating Rebecca.

But back to the topic. Do you under-estimate your youth(like everyone else) to suggest that Judd was the reason you went from a 4-18 to a 12-10 side in one year?

I know what you were trying to allude to and frankly, I dont buy it.. and I I dont like it, and I really really wouldnt be trying to sell that shit.

It screams 'We're a one man team' and were 'Hopeless without Judd'.

Ah but you say Legendary... what is a Legend, who chooses who becomes a Legend.. I'll tell you who... Caroline Wilson and she reckons her dad is a bit of a legend but she was never held in a car with her head trapped between wound up backseat windows ;)

Right next to Hird, Buckley, Riccuto, Voss, Black & Aker as one of the best midfielders over the past 15 years.
I rate Ben Cousins as Shane Crawford's equal

Both of them were short-arsed pretty boys, but this disguised what battle-hardened professionals they were. Their records were similar and so was the way they played footy. Both wore their heart on their sleeves and left nothing on the field. They extracted every last drop from their ability. By AFL standards, both were elite, endurance athletes - fleet of foot, well-balanced, tough, good skills, consistent, durable, dependable, equally good on offense or defense, equally good as outside receivers or inside ball-winners

Both were revered by their coaches and teammates and both were under-appreciated outside their own clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

As a player where does Cuz sit?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back