wez10000

Club Legend
Jul 9, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
Looks like Adelaide and Sydney will be taking part in the comp next year though the FFA said that this seasons teams will be in it, the AFC will announce later today that we will not be aloud to nominate Australia 1 and Austalia 2 so we will have to name last years Minor Premiers and Champions :mad:

As a Melbourne Victory member im bloody annoyed at the decision and even worse, they will change the rule so that it wont happen again next season, So Melbourne will have to win the Championship or finish top to make the 2008 ACL. Im not saying we are already garenteed a spot yet but its almost certain and most people think that Melbourne should be there, seeming we have been the best team.

Surely the FFA should just add up last seasons ladder and the current ladder and then give the top 2 teams the spots?

The current ladder over both seasons is.... (Legend: played, wins, draws, losses, goals for, goals against, goal diff, points)

Adelaide 34 20 5 9 56 42 13 65
Melbourne 34 18 6 10 55 33 22 60
Sydney 34 15 11 8 57 44 13 56
Central Coast 34 12 12 10 50 45 5 48
Newcastle 34 13 8 13 44 50 -6 47
Queensland 34 11 11 12 43 36 7 44
Perth 34 12 7 15 49 48 1 43
New Zealand 34 3 4 27 19 75 -56 13

Now that would make sence and be the fairest thing seeming as though they lied about this seasons Ladder Leaders and Champions would go through

Same thing occurs in other countries, (so no use accusing the FFA of 'ZOMG SYDNEY BIAS !!!1111!!!), which is the reason for the reformatting of the ACL in 2008.

For the record, I believe the 06/07 Premiers/Champions should be in the 2007 Champions League, but from my point of view I'm happy that Sydney are in.

Well we deserve to be there & should qualify again in our own right again this season (once we learn how to defend!) so I'm pleased. Can't wait for Asian nights midweek at Hindmarsh, should be great.

I'd like to have some sympathy for the *****, but well, it's pretty hard to find any.

Couldn't the FFA just say that whoever's 1 and 2 at the time of the AFC's deadline goes into the draw, or whoever were 1 and 2 after all teams had played eachother once (if only to make sure Australia is represented by the best possible teams)?

Problem is the FFA clearly stated at the beginning of the year this year's champions and minor premiers would go through.

Which leaves them wide open to a rather large compensation claim. I'll be disappointed if Victory don't demand a substantial sum for lost earnings. But to be honest no amount of money is going to make up for the fact we will miss out for no reason other than beauracracy.

Which leaves them wide open to a rather large compensation claim. I'll be disappointed if Victory don't demand a substantial sum for lost earnings. But to be honest no amount of money is going to make up for the fact we will miss out for no reason other than beauracracy.
Victory are 25% owned by the FFA, aren't they? They're hardly going to sue themselves.

I'm angry, to say the least - this has been a debacle as far as the FFA are concerned, because they have given the impression they are in control when they clearly are not. Melbourne should fight this, even if it means we get our spot one year later than normal, because for us to miss out completely is scandalous - it could potentially mean we are shunted back to Olympic Park and lose out on potential signings (because Sydney and Adelaide will be the first to take advantage of the new squad limit of 23).

The problem here is the FFA promised something they had no control over & hence couldn't deliver. That was a stupid thing for them to do, the AFC had always said that it was going to be the 05/06 Premiers & Champions that would be Australia's entrants as the draw would take place before the completion of the 06/07 season. They wouldn't budge for Japan either who have made the same request, so I think the FFA were a tad presumptous to think the AFC would budge for them.

Now I think that this seasons Premiers & Champions should be the next entrants - a year behind, which is what would happen anyway if we could ever do the right thing & go to a 28 round season. As much as I dislike **** FC, they'd be pretty stiff not to get selected next time around. Again however, it is out of the FFA's hands as the AFC are planning to revamp the ACL. MVFC can fight on this but at the end of the day with the FFA owning a stake in the club I can't see the decision being changed because that would gave AUFC some fair grounds to take action as Lowy & the FFA have fingers in the Sydney FC & Melbourne Victory pies.

The problem here is the FFA promised something they had no control over & hence couldn't deliver. That was a stupid thing for them to do, the AFC had always said that it was going to be the 05/06 Premiers & Champions that would be Australia's entrants as the draw would take place before the completion of the 06/07 season. They wouldn't budge for Japan either who have made the same request, so I think the FFA were a tad presumptous to think the AFC would budge for them.

Now I think that this seasons Premiers & Champions should be the next entrants - a year behind, which is what would happen anyway if we could ever do the right thing & go to a 28 round season. As much as I dislike **** FC, they'd be pretty stiff not to get selected next time around. Again however, it is out of the FFA's hands as the AFC are planning to revamp the ACL. MVFC can fight on this but at the end of the day with the FFA owning a stake in the club I can't see the decision being changed because that would gave AUFC some fair grounds to take action as Lowy & the FFA have fingers in the Sydney FC & Melbourne Victory pies.
Upon doing some reading, I am unsure if it's putting Australia 1 and Australia 2 into the draw the the AFC won budge from.

What I understand is that they would do this, however they want to know the names of the 2 competing teams and their finals lists by February 12th (the final list lodgment date).

As the A-League GF isn't until February 18th (6 days later), the FFA won't know for sure who the two teams are (unless MVFC win the minor premiership and also make the GF, then the 2nd GF participant will be known on Feb 11...they'll have 1 day!) until then. I believe it is this date that the AFC wont budge from.

(unless MVFC win the minor premiership and also make the GF, then

However AFAIA if Victory make the Grand Final and win it, the team that finishes 2nd in the league rather than the GF R/up is supposed to get the spot. So, for arguements sake, if the third or 4th placed side had made the GF, the FFA still wouldn't be able to give a definitive answer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

However AFAIA if Victory make the Grand Final and win it, the team that finishes 2nd in the league rather than the GF R/up is supposed to get the spot. So, for arguements sake, if the third or 4th placed side had made the GF, the FFA still wouldn't be able to give a definitive answer.
Nah, it's the Premier and Champion.

If they are the same team then it is the GF Runner Up.

Hypothetically (assuming MVFC wins the minor premiership) if MVFC win the Major Semi-Final, they will be through the the GF a week or so before the final deadline and the day before the final deadline the other team will be known.

All irrelevant however as the FFA isn't going to hang out on the off chance that this may happen.

RoosterLad said:
Suck ******** whinging *****!
Never mind, we will be the ones laughing when you get knocked out first round in front of 6,000 crowds!

Ray, what is "*****" supposed to be short for (I realise you're referring to the Victory)?

******? Bastard?... Mustard?

From Urbandictionary.com:

2. ****

Australians, in particular, people from the state of New South Wales often refer to people from the state of Victoria (especially people in Melbourne) as "*****". Often aimed at Melbourne Victory Football Club in chants at A-League football matches around the country.

AND

Refers to residents of Melbourne, Australia. Especially the fans of Melbourne Victory Football Club. Traces it's origins in this use to an internet football forum. Reaching popular usage through this forum and other specific team forums at the start of the new A-League competition.

Depsite beating their hated rivals, Sydney FC 5-0, the '***** failed to live up to this result and played out the rest of the season like the '***** they are.

:)

From Urbandictionary.com:

2. ****

Australians, in particular, people from the state of New South Wales often refer to people from the state of Victoria (especially people in Melbourne) as "*****". Often aimed at Melbourne Victory Football Club in chants at A-League football matches around the country.

AND

Refers to residents of Melbourne, Australia. Especially the fans of Melbourne Victory Football Club. Traces it's origins in this use to an internet football forum. Reaching popular usage through this forum and other specific team forums at the start of the new A-League competition.

Depsite beating their hated rivals, Sydney FC 5-0, the '***** failed to live up to this result and played out the rest of the season like the '***** they are.

:)
So it's a recent term then?

In any case, that doesn't fully answer my question, because it doesn't say why someone said that about MV last year.

whilst im grinning on the inside re: victory, bling fc is another story.

it was important that they won last year for football here. the biggest city, star coach and player. o'neill was loving it too. and so did foxsports (sorry sydney fc station).

Remove this Banner Ad

Asian Champions League

Remove this Banner Ad

Back