Assistant coach suggestions

Remove this Banner Ad

So much hate for Mahoney on here, has anyone actually thought about it???

Dont we have one of if not the best scoring conversion from I50 within the competition?? how does this translate to him being a bad coach, im not saying he is necessarily amazing but seems to be doing his bit

It is the I50's which are the problem and our contested possession ect and lack there of both, we average one of the lowest I50's within the competition, this is a big problem

Once the Ball goes inside the 50 we seem to function quite well, especially considering our lack of talls

Spot on. Great call. Best post I have read in a while. This is the reason the midfield coach needs to go. It all starts in the midfield. You have to have it to use it and we don't have it anywhere near enough.

He hasn't done much no. But i do know that in one of the games this year where we were absolutely shizen housen and the forward line was again being inept, he turned to Josh Mahoney and said "are you going to do something? Or are you going to just sit their and f@#$&ng do nothing like you always do!"

I've kind of liked him after i got told this, lol.
:thumbsu:

Hopeful

Neil Craig

Dean Laidley

Rodney Eade

Viney- Should be put in a coaching role if possible

Left Field and will raise eyebows of fellow BF posters

Shane Crawford - Part Time?

Mark Ricciuto

Paul Kelly

(Fixed for correction imo)

Don't mind Mahoney from the sounds of him either. West might still be ok too...who knows? New head coach can inspire some good things from people.

One that is available and is highly rated over here in SA is Shaun Rehn. Has coached at SANFL level to GF's, speaks on local radio/ News channels and definitely makes alot of sense.

If MM is going to leave Collingwood for another club, it will be as senior coach, not some fluff job. If he wants a role like that, he can stay at Collingwood.

I only mention this as a 'left field idea', because I feel MM has more of an issue with working under Bucks than the idea of the Senior Mentor position... It could be an option for him as he seems to have a great deal of respect for Neeld & one year of assisting him might be enticing for him together with giving him an out from Collingwood...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Firstly, to me it was obvious our backline went backwards this year. Whether that's because Royal coached a different style the had to get used to or not I don't know, but I want Royal gone.

Our midfield is deplorable. We have one of the top 5 ruckmen in the comp, and one of the highest clearance players in the comp, but the midfield still functions worse than Port Adelaide's. I want West gone. Hopefully Todd Viney has got the taste for coaching back, and he takes up the midfield coaching role, just like when he was at Hawthorn.

Josh Mahoney makes absolutely no sense as a forward coach. I really can not understand how the hell he got a job as a forward coach, and then managed to keep it. We have a crap forward structure, and I think the stats of being one of the best converters from I50 opportunities says more about the calibre of player we have up there rather than the structure setup we have. You only have to watch when we are kicking the ball into the F50 how many times our forwards lead to the exact same spot. I want Mahoney gone.

As I said, Todd Viney hopefully into the midfield coaches role.

Robbie Campbell has done some great work with the young rucks this year, so if he retires or something let's keep him on as a specific ruck coach.

Someone who has said they are interested in taking up a coaching role is Wayne Carey. Surely the Duck is a better option as a forward coach than Josh Mahoney. Even if he isn't the designated forward coach, surely we could get him part time to help the young developing forwards with body work, positioning etc.

Defensive coach is really up in the air. Wellman was doing a great job, so it was unfortunate the lieing scumbags pinched him off us. Tom Harley I think would be great, but if what was said above is true then seems unlikely. I don't really have any suggestions but I think most people on this forum could do a better job than Royal

Let Neeld pick them. New coach, new direction.

Wouldn't mind Neil Craig personally, couldn't care about the rest. In Neeld we trust!

Not sure if this has been linked but Neeld on coaching panel: http://www.melbournefc.com.au/tabid/7415/default.aspx?newsid=123654

. Schwab said Neeld will have a key role in deciding the football department personnel.

“The coach should have a very, very big say in the people he wants working for him, but it’s about the right mix of people,” he said.

“The one thing you want to have is the balance … you don’t want all of your learning going out the door and a whole new group coming in.”

I'm sure Neeld will select his assistants, that seems to be the case... However, some names I'd like to see at Demonland based on views from the outside:

*Dean Laidley - under rated for what he did at North Melbourne, got lots out of a group with limited talent at an under resourced club.

*David King - his analysis on Fox Sports this year has been superb. Reads the game so well, would love to have him as a part of the footy department.

*Todd Viney - not much to say here, like his attitude, a well regarded coach with stints at Adelaide and Hawthorn.

*Take your pick of the many highly regarded assistants, like Watters/McCartney/Sanderson.

Firstly, to me it was obvious our backline went backwards this year. Whether that's because Royal coached a different style the had to get used to or not I don't know, but I want Royal gone.

Our midfield is deplorable. We have one of the top 5 ruckmen in the comp, and one of the highest clearance players in the comp, but the midfield still functions worse than Port Adelaide's. I want West gone. Hopefully Todd Viney has got the taste for coaching back, and he takes up the midfield coaching role, just like when he was at Hawthorn.

Josh Mahoney makes absolutely no sense as a forward coach. I really can not understand how the hell he got a job as a forward coach, and then managed to keep it. We have a crap forward structure, and I think the stats of being one of the best converters from I50 opportunities says more about the calibre of player we have up there rather than the structure setup we have. You only have to watch when we are kicking the ball into the F50 how many times our forwards lead to the exact same spot. I want Mahoney gone.

As I said, Todd Viney hopefully into the midfield coaches role.

Robbie Campbell has done some great work with the young rucks this year, so if he retires or something let's keep him on as a specific ruck coach.

Someone who has said they are interested in taking up a coaching role is Wayne Carey. Surely the Duck is a better option as a forward coach than Josh Mahoney. Even if he isn't the designated forward coach, surely we could get him part time to help the young developing forwards with body work, positioning etc.

Defensive coach is really up in the air. Wellman was doing a great job, so it was unfortunate the lieing scumbags pinched him off us. Tom Harley I think would be great, but if what was said above is true then seems unlikely. I don't really have any suggestions but I think most people on this forum could do a better job than Royal

This is why i dont like the idea of picking assistants, so what your saying eskimo is Bailey was a good coach, it was all the assistants who were rubbish?

Why would Viney be a better midfield coach than Scott West, because he was a melbourne player? Because he coached 5 games for 1 shakey win against GC and 4 losses including Richmond and Port

THE MIDFIELD COACH DOESNT HAVE THE ****ING CATTLE TO WORK WITH, GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEADS!

Jamars ruckwork is one dimensional, if its not going straight down Moloneys throat its not going anywhere and same the other way, Moloney doesnt rove opposition taps an he struggled when Jamar was out
And our other 2 experienced mids didnt play solely in the middle, Sylvia went forward and Jonesy went onto the wing and HBF.

You cant expect a bunch of Under 50 game players to win the clearance count, just rubbish.

Clarify to me why Tom Harley would make a great defensive coach, his commentary is rubbish, he says the absoloute obvious over and over and gets things wrong often.

Why wouldnt any other guy whos played AFL as a backmen be a good coach? Its just stupid to me to try an pick coaches. None of us no what they do behind the scenes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Assistant coach suggestions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back