Coach Assistant coaches 2025 - Blake Caracella Rejoins Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

The only exception being Leigh Matthews & Ron Barassi in 100 years.
Paul Roos
Mark Williams
Malcolm Blight
Robert Walls
Alex Jesaulenko
John Kennedy
John Nicholls
John Coleman
Norm Smith
Robert Davis
Phonse Kyne
Charlie Sutton
Reg Hickey
Dick Reynolds
Frank Hughes
Percy Bentley
Fred Hughson
Jack Dyer

He turned the youngest premiership list in history from a potential dynasty into a sh1t show. And his team that couldn't fire, McRae took to a flag. Do you think Cotchin, Dangerflog and Selwood would be brilliant coaches too? Check the history books mate superstar players= terrible coaches. Dour back pocket plodders= superstar coaches.
Hmmm he got them within 4 points of a gf win like literally lost in the last minute . Yes he lost the players in the end as happens in clubs , he had a few years where it went pear shaped at start of his career but still rekon he would be better second time around

Hmmm he got them within 4 points of a gf win like literally lost in the last minute . Yes he lost the players in the end as happens in clubs , he had a few years where it went pear shaped at start of his career but still rekon he would be better second time around

With the exception of Bomber Thomson quitting, Adelaide coach getting murdered and Malthouse getting shafted 99% of the time a coach inherits a dohsh1t list. Buckley was gifted his list on a silver platter and decimated it. 11 seasons is a long time to coach without saluting. Success eluded him as a player and as a coach. I appreciate his honesty in press conferences but that's all. He alienated his teammates and the nickname Figjam is always reserved for deadset flogs.

I question his judgement too as the lies he told about Treloar was mindboggling and ultimately cost him his career. Not to mention he's an imbecile. The whole footy world knew Lynch was either going to Tigers or Collingwood. It was widely reported Lynch had said in front of the whole team he was undecided and hadn't met with any Victorian teams. Not long after Buckley threw Lynch under the bus by admitting he'd met Lynch twice, whilst Hardwick with his sh1t eating lying grin said he hadn't met Lynch but was aware he'd caught up with his mates Caddie and Prestia. Lynch lost a lot of respect from his Suns mates because Buckley's a dog.

Probably the kind of bloke who rats out teammates on footy trips and bucks nights whilst he's out "playing tennis" during lockdowns himself. The fact the bears won 3 flags and he won none is poetic justice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just need them to offer Balme a new contract now :)
It is a wild thing that the bloke wants to work and is good in football and we are like "Nah mate we think that your health isn't good enough."

If Balme wants to work and is able to perform then let the dude work. Just make a plan around him to ensure that, if he does start working himself to death, we prevent it.

Paul Roos
Mark Williams
Malcolm Blight
Robert Walls
Alex Jesaulenko
John Kennedy
John Nicholls
John Coleman
Norm Smith
Robert Davis
Phonse Kyne
Charlie Sutton
Reg Hickey
Dick Reynolds
Frank Hughes
Percy Bentley
Fred Hughson
Jack Dyer
I think the 80's onwards is a bit of a different era. From there I agree Good players rarely (but not never) make good coaches.

So if we are just looking at the top 4 on your list:

Paul Roos, Chocco and Blighty, all can be viewed in two ways:
Positive - Always had teams contending (for the most part) and got the most out of thier lists
Negative - They all only won one flag each (not saying they are easy) with teams that where contending for long periods of time, so perhaps should have won more. So maybe they under-achieved.

Blighty's teams sh@t the bed in multiple GF's
Chocco's teams sh@t the bed in multiple Prelims
Roos teams were a free kick (to either Judd or Sampi) away from not winning anything

I personally think Paul Roos was massively overrated as a coach

Walls is just a c0ckhe@d , so I don't care about how good he may have been, fair to say his flags were bought by brown paper bags in the old carlton days, not his coaching

Walls is just a c0ckhe@d , so I don't care about how good he may have been, fair to say his flags were bought by brown paper bags in the old carlton days, not his coaching
My thoughts zackly! :cool:

I think the 80's onwards is a bit of a different era. From there I agree Good players rarely (but not never) make good coaches.

Paul Roos, Chocco and Blighty, all can be viewed in two ways:
Positive - Always had teams contending (for the most part) and got the most out of thier lists
Negative - They all only won one flag each (not saying they are easy) with teams that where contending for long periods of time, so perhaps should have won more. So maybe they under-achieved.

Blighty's teams sh@t the bed in multiple GF's
Chocco's teams sh@t the bed in multiple Prelims
Roos teams were a free kick (to either Judd or Sampi) away from not winning anything

Couldn't agree more on Roos. I would add Ross Lyon in as well. They essentially came up with a new system of defence that was very effective and frustrating that took the Comp by storm. By the time other systems have come in and worked it out, they haven't got anything new.

Dimma and the team that came up with our plan in 17 essentially made a style that was simple and could be replicated since it relied on pressure as the cornerstone. The only modification is that other teams win the ball at the clearance now when we won it off the backline because our interceptors and runners were elite at the time.

The original comment was that superstars never made good coaches...only back pocket players...or something like that.
So while my list wasn't just superstars...they were all at least every good players...who had one flag or more....and there were more to add if I'd gone back the full "100 years".
There are so many variables at play in winning a premiership...along with a 1 in 18 chance in any given year (currently)...that in the end there has to be a fair degree of luck (and more so since the brown paper bag era ended).
That is until our dear corporate benefactors work out a way to make a buck out of providing unfair advantages that we accept...if they haven't already done so ;)
Anyway...I'm not so sure it really makes any difference whether the coach was a talented player or not...it all likely comes down to the individual...and their circumstances.

But at the risk of getting back ot...I believe I'm happy to see Caracella back at Richmond.
Although I'd like to be a fly on the wall if he ever spoke about his time as an assistant coach...coming to Richmond...leaving Richmond...his time at Essendon...and returning to Richmond.
I think I remember an interview around the time he left us...where he said he was hoping to become a senior coach one day.
Was he even considered recently at Essendon?
Has he given up now on that ambition?

Anyway...I'm not so sure it really makes any difference whether the coach was a talented player or not...it all likely comes down to the individual...and their circumstances.

the last things I will say on this, and I've had this view for a while...

Genuine "superstars" struggle to be good coaches for two main reasons.
1- They were just naturally good, the always read the play or the bounce of the ball better than everyone else, instincts were better etc. They are not learnt behaviours to them, so because they didn't have to work hard on them, they actually don't know how to coach someone else to be.
2- They struggle with players who just are as dedicated tot heir craft as them, or just not as talented as them, they struggle to connect with these players.

You BP, HBF types, they had to learn and work hard to be good players, so they know what it takes, and they therefore know how to teach it.

Just my two cents

I am really looking forward to having Carracella back at the club! (his brothers owes me a drink or two :tearsofjoy: )

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Assistant coaches 2025 - Blake Caracella Rejoins Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Back