Atmosphere at the soccer better?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't that make this thread null and void?

These types of threads are always null and void from the beginning - but they always seem to go longer than any other threads. Maybe except for ones involving spiritual leaders and their recreational activities.

sorry to add to the suposed dead thread but why is it that you cannot like all forms of football why is it we have to say soccer is better than AFL or vice versa.

sorry to add to the suposed dead thread but why is it that you cannot like all forms of football why is it we have to say soccer is better than AFL or vice versa.

This thread is destined to never die don't worry.

I like all forms of football but I do think AFL is the best, and by a long way too. But that's just my opinion. I feel sorry for people that can't appreciate other sports though. All forms of football have enjoyment to offer, you just have to readjust your expectations and learn to appreciate the finer points of each code.

It's got nothing to do with bagging AFL. It's pointing out a major flaw in that argument. Anyone can find a reason to suggest why a sport is 'inferior'.

just putting a suggestion but would an Asian League with only a few Australian teams be better than the A-League.

If there was a 20 team league, maybe teams like the Victory could afford Viduka or even bigger international players, average >50,000 but Australia would not have a league.

Or is it better to have the A-League, even if the clubs are constrained from their full potential.

why must every one keep knocking the A - league for ?

last nights match was one of dull tatics and mindless players.... so it is not right to judge of the standing of one game,
yes its not the premier league but we must take it for what it is.

I found last nights crowd to be one of great volume, no soccer will never be as big as AFL, yet each has there own place

it is possible for both to co exist and to support both sports.

I disagree about the comment "soccer will never be as big as AFL", unfortunately.

The AFL has a lot of work to do to gain the trust of thier supporters. The sheer arrogance of the AFL left unchecked could be the stepping stone for A League to take over the AFL's market share. AFL executives need to stabalise the brand and give it consistancy. Every year there is something new we have to swallow. I had a pommy mate out some months ago and it had been a few years since his last visit. Perfect example when we went to an AFL match, he said "I thought we were going to the footy" in the second quarter. Not seeing it for a few years, he was amazed as to how much the game had changed.

The NSL smashed the trust of thier supporters and formed the A league. Two years in and it is a snowball down Everist. As a new admirer of soccer, since the world cup, I have come to understand some, not all, of the quirks of the game. I enjoyed being part of the winning team admittably this year. This must be what it is like for interstate AFL clubs. However it was easy for me to pick up because no matter what league or year, watching highlights and past classic matches, the game is always the same year to year.

However I do agree it is possible to support both codes, with passion. I do live in Melbourne admittably which helps but I am a member of Geelong Cats, Melbourne Storm and Melbourne Victory. Let me tell you I was also disappointed when Perth got the liscense for the super 14 team as well.

I'm passed the whole, "my sports better than yours" crap. Leave that for the teams within those codes. If you don't care for it, don't care about it.

I disagree about the comment "soccer will never be as big as AFL", unfortunately.

The AFL has a lot of work to do to gain the trust of thier supporters. The sheer arrogance of the AFL left unchecked could be the stepping stone for A League to take over the AFL's market share. AFL executives need to stabalise the brand and give it consistancy. Every year there is something new we have to swallow. I had a pommy mate out some months ago and it had been a few years since his last visit. Perfect example when we went to an AFL match, he said "I thought we were going to the footy" in the second quarter. Not seeing it for a few years, he was amazed as to how much the game had changed.

The NSL smashed the trust of thier supporters and formed the A league. Two years in and it is a snowball down Everist. As a new admirer of soccer, since the world cup, I have come to understand some, not all, of the quirks of the game. I enjoyed being part of the winning team admittably this year. This must be what it is like for interstate AFL clubs. However it was easy for me to pick up because no matter what league or year, watching highlights and past classic matches, the game is always the same year to year.

However I do agree it is possible to support both codes, with passion. I do live in Melbourne admittably which helps but I am a member of Geelong Cats, Melbourne Storm and Melbourne Victory. Let me tell you I was also disappointed when Perth got the liscense for the super 14 team as well.

I'm passed the whole, "my sports better than yours" crap. Leave that for the teams within those codes. If you don't care for it, don't care about it.

nicely put mate. Agree 100%.

I thought of ths interesting comparison

Sydney Swans - 24 years in Sydney
34,252 average 2006 attendance - bugger all media exposure

Melbourne Victory - 2 years in Melbourne
27,607 average 2006 attendance - good media share

That is some solid growth - definately what I'd call a sleeping giant. Who knows what can happen with a big dedicated stadium. I will watch with interest.

For all you AFL fans who point to the continued growth of crowds ... It is interesting to note for the AFL, which once had every single club with average crowds greater than any club from any other code now sees the Brisbane Broncos, Western Force, NSW Waratahs, Melbourne Victory and even Gold Coast Titans all rubbing shoulders in terms of average crowds with the likes of the Brisbane Lions, Kangaroos, Melbourne Demons, Hawthorn and Port Adelaide. What it says to me is that there is far more club loyalty in the AFL than enjoyment of the game's spectacle and it doesn't stand well for the national comp for the lower teams to be dropping their crowds by so much when they are not performing so well.

Personally, I have given up on the AFL - it sucks ass these days sadly. But I'm not about to start watching soccer, because it is crap. But I am looking forward to seeing some good rugby this year, starting with the Bledisloe Cup.

This thread is like a cancer that can't be killed.

AFL arguers please note once and for all -

You cannot compare crowds at AFL and just A-league games.

Soccer is not like AFL.

Soccer has '2 lives'. One in Australia, and one internationally. The international comp is the Asian Champions League. That would be like having the two top AFL clubs from each country playing off each other each year in the AFL off-season. Of course, you can only dream about this happening - it ain't never ever going to happen and that is the reality of why AFL is inferior - your opinion doesn't count - this is the harsh reality for you to accept.

So please don't compare the A-league crowd to the AFL crowd. You need to include Asian Champions League crowds in your soccer calculations (for eg, you'd add the 60,000 that attended the Sydney FC game in Japan last week).

vinnie, you're wrong about the Asian champions league, but who cares, its only now taking off as well, as it will be reinventing itself in 2009 to reach a level of professionalism in europe.

afl and football (soccer) arent comparable, soccer is clearly the superior sport, but ofcourse on an AFL board, in the only country that plays the sport, you are going to get some..albeit weak..arguments that afl is better than soccer. They need to give it up, so dont worry about em vinnie, afl supportesr are such a minority on the global scene, its laughable. a nothing if you will

Thread Closed. :thumbsu:

Thread Closed. :thumbsu:

vinnie, you're wrong about the Asian champions league, but who cares, its only now taking off as well, as it will be reinventing itself in 2009 to reach a level of professionalism in europe.

afl and football (soccer) arent comparable, soccer is clearly the superior sport, but ofcourse on an AFL board, in the only country that plays the sport, you are going to get some..albeit weak..arguments that afl is better than soccer. They need to give it up, so dont worry about em vinnie, afl supportesr are such a minority on the global scene, its laughable. a nothing if you will
thread reopened :thumbsdown:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So please don't compare the A-league crowd to the AFL crowd. You need to include Asian Champions League crowds in your soccer calculations (for eg, you'd add the 60,000 that attended the Sydney FC game in Japan last week).
Like you said, that game was in Japan. The first leg in sydney only drew a measly 20k approx. In fact the attendances for the Australian legs of the ACL (sydney & adelaide) have been very disappointing.

Like you said, that game was in Japan. The first leg in sydney only drew a measly 20k approx. In fact the attendances for the Australian legs of the ACL (sydney & adelaide) have been very disappointing.

Can we please not count Sydney, they are a joke. Look at their NRL crowds, absolutely pathetic. Dont even reach 15k. There is just something wrongwith Sydney. Oh! And give soccer time you numbnuts! Youll find that while the Sydney v Essendon match is sold out at 28k or something, there have been 60k tickets sold already for Australia Uruguay, where the atmosphere will own anthing the afl can dish up

Can we please not count Sydney, they are a joke. Look at their NRL crowds, absolutely pathetic. Dont even reach 15k. There is just something wrongwith Sydney.
I agree...

Oh! And give soccer time you numbnuts!
Time? I'm a Melbourne Victory supporter you turnip. Will be a member this comming season.

I love the fact that I get my sporting fix for all 12 months of the year.

Youll find that while the Sydney v Essendon match is sold out at 28k or something, there have been 60k tickets sold already for Australia Uruguay, where the atmosphere will own anthing the afl can dish up
Anything short of a sell-out should be considered as disappointing.

I agree...

Time? I'm a Melbourne Victory member you turnip. ;)

I love the fact that I get my sporting fix for all 12 months of the year.

Anything short of a sell-out should be considered as disappointing.

As you'll find, this is severely depleted side. I dont think we're at that stage yet where fans will pack out a 70k to see a C-string international squad like in many other nations. There is still a need for star drawing power. Hence the Aussie Stadium turnout last year, where it was 45 k or something, few thousand less of a sell out, I forget now. This is a side that will most probably lead us into 2010, which I think some people still havent quite grasped - the 2006 squad will be never again, they need to get with that fact. But yes, a sellout should take place either way.

Our arguments have been MUCH stronger than your alias, vinnie.

Get a clue mate. Read the thread. Vinnie has been owned.

In the end it comes to personal taste in what you like in sport. For me AFL is the only sport that I get excited about. No other sports seem to interest me.

With the AFL there is always something happening dueing the game for me to cheer and get excited about every minute.

I can't see anything much to cheer about during a soccer game unless there is a goal scored or the goal keep does something spectacular to stop a goal which doesn't happen often. I find it difficult to get excited by the positioning that the soccer players get into or them running all around the field.

With rugby I can sit and watch the game but it is lacking something to get me excited.

As I mentioned above it is to individuals tastes about which sport they get excited about. I like the marking, tackling, evading, goals etc of the AFL and other people may like the positioning and running around the soccer players do. There must be something to it though seeing it is the most popular sport in the world.

In the end it comes to personal taste in what you like in sport. For me AFL is the only sport that I get excited about. No other sports seem to interest me.

With the AFL there is always something happening dueing the game for me to cheer and get excited about every minute.

I can't see anything much to cheer about during a soccer game unless there is a goal scored or the goal keep does something spectacular to stop a goal which doesn't happen often. I find it difficult to get excited by the positioning that the soccer players get into or them running all around the field.

With rugby I can sit and watch the game but it is lacking something to get me excited.

As I mentioned above it is to individuals tastes about which sport they get excited about. I like the marking, tackling, evading, goals etc of the AFL and other people may like the positioning and running around the soccer players do. There must be something to it though seeing it is the most popular sport in the world.

Must be something? Yes, theres something alright. Its obviously determined by what you grew up on, which is why I cant believe people think AFL is even close to soccer in terms of enjoyment. And, people who use "goals" as a reason for liking high scoring sports over soccer, well thats the worst possible reason, goal-whores really have no idea.

The best atmosphere and the best sport is long-board diving.

I went to the Olympics to watch the diving and it is far superior in atmosphere to soccer and Australian Football.

The way the crowd clap and the way the combatants do their double pikes and twists and sometimes even feign injury... i think it is a much underated sport.

There is an obvious bias against diving in the media.

I went to the Olympics to watch the diving and it is far superior in atmosphere to soccer and Australian Football.

The way the crowd clap and the way the combatants do their double pikes and twists and sometimes even feign injury... i think it is a much underated sport.

Piss off, don’t try and make me watch that foreign crap.

They take so long between dives, I fall asleep!

Just because a billion Chinese people watch it doesn’t make it a good sport.

I was always stick to my first love, our indigenous sport of Bombing into pool from the top spring board!

Must be something? Yes, theres something alright. Its obviously determined by what you grew up on, which is why I cant believe people think AFL is even close to soccer in terms of enjoyment. And, people who use "goals" as a reason for liking high scoring sports over soccer, well thats the worst possible reason, goal-whores really have no idea.

As I mentioned, it comes down to personal taste to which sport a person enjoys. I watched a couple of games of soccer and I just can't get into it. There must be something for people to get excited about in it, but I just can't see it.

I was born and grew up in Australia (My dad came from England when he was a kid). I never actually sat down and watched a game a AFL until I was 18. I have not grown up on AFL. When I sat down and watched it I really liked the game. I have also sat down and watched Rugby, Soccer and Cricket but none of them got me excited like what the AFL did.

The reason for me liking the AFL is not because of the amount of goals scored in the game. It is because of the marking, tackling, evasiveness to aviod the tackles, the running of a player with a tagger in hot pursuit and the balance of strengh, speed, endurance, skills and reading of the play that players need to have that I find exciting.

Lol you're funny, and original. Another feeble attempt at trying to knock the real football. Good work but try again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back