Atmosphere at the soccer better?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NFL is shown virtually everywhere on ESPN. Where are all the Gridiron teams around the world?
The (major) gridiron teams are in the USA but I think you meant to say where are all the other gridiron teams . Well Europe .

I thought everybody knew about the European league .
It's definately professional and I understand it gets some big crowds in Germany .
I wonder if there were people in the US saying "NFL in Europe - never "
Well no , because the average yank doesn't know where Europe is .

People used to think that australian Football would never be played by more than just expats overseas . Now you're saying it'll never go professional .
we can all see easily the growth in Australian Football O/S by the way people raise the bar .A bit reminiscent of what people use to say about QLD .
It'll never have an AFL team .It'll never outdraw a RL team . It'll never outrate a RL game . There'll never be anywhere nears as many participants ....
I'm real happy where AR is at the moment and the growth of AR O/S is bonus and we should all be happy for that .

:)

AFL crowds up 20% on last year and will break 1 million by round three.

No doubt, soccer people will employ a conspiracy theorist who will preach that these crowds are fabricated with the intent undermine soccer.

At this rate, 7 million for the h&A season is possible.

Ladies and Gentlemen, this is the crux of the issue. AFL attracts crowds that soccer can never possibley hope to. Soccer is a second tier sport is this country and all this talk about atmosphere is soccer fools trying to make themselves feel better.

150 years buddy, 150 years. We've had 2, give us some time please.

Do you guys think the soccer ever caught on in melbourne. Essendon get better crowds than a victorys average game against freo. And most of the melbourne victorys games are in prime time. This game was sunday arvo.

And the blokes on SEN reckoned soccer had taken over melbourne

Soccer didnt catch on in melbourne

I cant stress enough. Essendon has had how many years to build support? Stop being a tosspot please

Happens so often in soccer they dont even bother talking about it.. For example all the diving inside the box

You pretty much have no idea what you're talking about. Did you get that fact from Grossos dive at the World Cup? Did Channel 9 instill in you that that happens all the time, get over yourself, cos trust me, not knowing what you're talking about is a sin

there may be more top clubs in soccer, but there are also probably 100 times as many people playing the game.

Melbourne is about the same size as Frankfurt. Now I don't have the figures in from of me, but I'd be quite happy to bet a large about of money that there are more people from Melbourne playing in the AFL than the are people from Frankfurt playing in any of the top soccer leagues combined.

Hahaha! You ********! Lololol. Quite.possibly.the.stupidest.comment.ever.

Yes the AFL has not grown significantly internationally ,
but Australian Football Internationally is growing all the time
and most of it is NOT due to the AFL .
However there are two watershed developments that could profoundly boost the recognition of the AFL brand overseas .
After many years of inconsistant coverage the AFL has signed a 5 year contract with Setana to deliver a number of AFL matches (both delayed and live) to the North American continent and countries in Europe .
We all know of the boost that seeing AFL on ESPN in the 90s gave to Australian Football in North America .
Secondly , this year sees the introduction of Australia playing the RSA in Australian Football .

:thumbsu:

Lol someone help me. You cant be serious? Wait, can you? AFL is Australia only, and will always remain Australia only. I cant believe you actually believe what you're saying

The (major) gridiron teams are in the USA but I think you meant to say where are all the other gridiron teams . Well Europe .

I thought everybody knew about the European league .
It's definately professional and I understand it gets some big crowds in Germany .
I wonder if there were people in the US saying "NFL in Europe - never "
Well no , because the average yank doesn't know where Europe is .

People used to think that australian Football would never be played by more than just expats overseas . Now you're saying it'll never go professional .
we can all see easily the growth in Australian Football O/S by the way people raise the bar .A bit reminiscent of what people use to say about QLD .
It'll never have an AFL team .It'll never outdraw a RL team . It'll never outrate a RL game . There'll never be anywhere nears as many participants ....
I'm real happy where AR is at the moment and the growth of AR O/S is bonus and we should all be happy for that .

:)

Please kill me. What dont you get? AFL is not going international....it never will, learn to live with it. I know its hard

You pretty much have no idea what you're talking about. Did you get that fact from Grossos dive at the World Cup? Did Channel 9 instill in you that that happens all the time, get over yourself, cos trust me, not knowing what you're talking about is a sin

I love football but seriously, there is a major problem with diving in the sport, it happens all the time, every game, take the 3 games on SBS during the week. If they can minimize the diving i think Australians will embrace the game even moreso.

I love football but seriously, there is a major problem with diving in the sport, it happens all the time, every game, take the 3 games on SBS during the week. If they can minimize the diving i think Australians will embrace the game even moreso.

They have been beating that drum in the States for ages and it's not going to happen.

The Yanks (I live here) flock to college and pro football games not soccer games.

Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread Die Thread

You must be having a laugh. Surely? Diving is the reason why some people havent jumped on board? Please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please kill me.

Gladly , but it would be a lot easier if you'd stop trolling and pretending you know something about Australian Football . Because if you knew anything about Australian Football or even read the previous posts you'd realise it's already been said the AFL wont go international but Australian Football has been played internationally for well over a century now and but only recently (mainly due to modern communications) has AR spread to a great number of countries , a great number of leagues , with a great number of players and a number of international games and competitions .
The result being a steady increase in the general playings skills .

HELL NO

I went for the first time last night, and even with 50 thousand people barracking for the one side the atmosphere just doens't measure up.

It isnt' the crowd's fault either, the Southern Death Crew (I didn't make that name up either) and the Blue and White brigade certainly make a bit of noise - but people tend to only cheer when something happens.

And quite frankly, not enough happens, I even left early because of how bored I was and how lack lustre the atmosphere is.

I also get the distinct impression that a lot of "soccer" fans are actually praying that Melbourne get a second club so that teams can have punch ons. Seems a lot of ex-pat poms as well as other ethnicities just want to act aggresively without their actually being any chance of a fight (nice and safe of course) consdiering there's no opposition fans, or they're so few in number it would be a mob style lynching.

But in all honesty, the game just doesn't stack up atmosphere wise, at the AFL something is happening every few seconds and in soccer something exciting happens maybe twice in a half.

I'd rather watch Melbourne VS Port at Telstra dome with a crowd of 15,000 (probably optimistic if anything) than watch a game of soccer with 50,000 victory fans alongside me.

Mind you, if we make the final (I imagine there's a final of some sort) I will instantly start buying up a bunch of Victory merchandise cause I like to be seen as cultured and such.

cheers

Mate - I went to England last year and had the privelage to watch Chelsea 3 times - Brilliant absolutely brilliant. The AFL have nothing on English Premier league. But having said that the Aussie soccer scene is 100 years behind.

What will change? What?

the league will change when second teams will be allowed in the league from melbourne and sydney

the victory should easily average 40,000 this season with 30,000 members. As they will probably dominate for the next few seasons, a second team will enter in 2010. At this point the league will change as no longer will the MVFC have a monopoly and I think the league will be better and more exciting if there is a second team.

I pretty much have no idea?? I actually follow soccer

How about the Italian Matchfixing?? Pretty Classy

So, how did the atmosphere at the 'G on Saturday stack up? It was bloody brilliant, and I follow neither team. I was a neutral observer, and I absolutely loved it.

Soccer, in Australia at least, has nothing on that at all.

The atmosphere was great at that match. I would say it is a totally different atmosphere then at the soccer. Whats better? Thats just opinion.

To me the soccer is more about singing and jumping around. AFL you get a consistant "buzz" in the air that sounds fantastic too.

There really is no point in arguing over it.

2 years, what a joke

Soccer has been around in Australia for over 100 years, been popular in Victoria since the 50s and had the first national league of any oz sport in 1977.

You could hardly describe the NSL and the A-league set-up the same thing. I think what he is referring to is the competition, not the sport itself, which is well and truly fair enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back