Expansion Aussie Rules Footy - Atmosphere at its best

Remove this Banner Ad

I can tell you there are nearly 5 million people in regional NSW and QLD plus ACT. In SA and WA regional there are 920,000 people.

It is obviously an advantage to AFL for these areas to be ignored in the ratings, wouldn't you agree.

Using those figures that would mean about half the people in NSW and QLD are in regional areas which i personally find hard to believe. Regional to me is atleast 150km away from Sydney.

Do some research my friend, you will find they are accurate, 2.5 million in NSW and over 2million in Qld. Plus 321,000 in ACT. We're talking about big population centres like Cairns, Townsville, Wollongong, Newcastle etc

By 2050 this figure is expected to increase to 8 million as opposed to just over 3 million in Southern and Western States. Now you see why AFL are desperate to get into the NSW and QLD markets.

By 2050 this figure is expected to increase to 8 million as opposed to just over 3 million in Southern and Western States. Now you see why AFL are desperate to get into the NSW and QLD markets.

I already knew why the AFL want to go into NSW and QLD and im reasonably happy with the way they are doing it. The fact that alot of NRL clubs are having some serious financial trouble should help the cashed up AFL penetrate the difficult NSW and QLD markets.

Its unfortunate that there isnt a ratings system which takes into account every tv set in the country as at the moment there is so much debate its nearly impossible to tell how well anything is rating.

For one thing digital sets aren't rated because they're too hard .
Neither are there ratings for multi channels like ABC2 .
And everybody is sucked into double counting the regionals .
Let alone all the other issues of data gathering like
channel 7 scoring 70k viewers for a blank set ,
that's 3 times the ratings for rl WA .

:eek:

Do some research my friend, you will find they are accurate, 2.5 million in NSW and over 2million in Qld. Plus 321,000 in ACT. We're talking about big population centres like Cairns, Townsville, Wollongong, Newcastle etc

You're close for NSW, but nowhere near it for Queensland. It's only just over a million outside the Oztam region of Brisbane (which includes the GC). Not much different to regional Victoria.

Take into account that football is far more popular in regional NSW and Queensland that rugby league is in other states (just look at the abominable ratings figures for sunday afternoon NRL in Perth), and the actual figures wouldn't be that far off. Certainly wouldn't make up the substantial difference between NRL and AFL ratings in Oztam. Given Oztam covers over 2/3rds of the total population in Australia, and the AFL figures are about 50% higher than NRL through Oztam, you'd need massive NRL audiences in the regionals and the AFL to rate virtually zero to make it up.

You're close for NSW, but nowhere near it for Queensland. It's only just over a million outside the Oztam region of Brisbane (which includes the GC). Not much different to regional Victoria.

Take into account that football is far more popular in regional NSW and Queensland that rugby league is in other states (just look at the abominable ratings figures for sunday afternoon NRL in Perth), and the actual figures wouldn't be that far off. Certainly wouldn't make up the substantial difference between NRL and AFL ratings in Oztam. Given Oztam covers over 2/3rds of the total population in Australia, and the AFL figures are about 50% higher than NRL through Oztam, you'd need massive NRL audiences in the regionals and the AFL to rate virtually zero to make it up.

The stupid thing is that ratings don't contribute to the ambiance of a game and the relationship between them and sport is purely economic.

Considering that regional ratings are not taken into consideration when national media organizations make bids for the sports rights they don't even count when your talking about "ratings".

Digital/analogue air the same thing and if you had a ratings box and a digital tuner it would be counted. The only thing Oztam don't do ratings on are the HD channels.

Is that actually true? So if I watch footy on 10HD (which I do), my people meter (if I had one) wouldn't pick up that i'm watching the footy?

If the swans and lions only get 70k and 96k in the capitals, HTF would they be more popular in the regional centres?

just look at the abominable ratings figures for sunday afternoon NRL in Perth)

I'd hate to see what your opinions about the AFL ratings in Sydney are if you think the ratings for NRL in Perth are "abominable".

Sydney - 70,200 (1.6% of catchment) decided to watch the Swans v Port Adelaide
Perth - 25,100 (1.5% of Catchment) decided to watch Bulldogs v West Tigers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd hate to see what your opinions about the AFL ratings in Sydney are if you think the ratings for NRL in Perth are "abominable".

You mean the Swans game live on Pay TV, and doesn't pick up anyone watching the game on 7HD? And do you really want to bring up Perth NRL ratings?

Digital/analogue air the same thing and if you had a ratings box and a digital tuner it would be counted. The only thing Oztam don't do ratings on are the HD channels.

I had a ratings box smarty and they couldn't do it on the digital signal .
If you knew anything , you'd know that they take the signal after the STB .
There are many makes of STBs so it's difficult to interact .

You can apologise now .

You mean the Swans game live on Pay TV, and doesn't pick up anyone watching the game on 7HD? And do you really want to bring up Perth NRL ratings?

You're kidding right?

If you're not, i'd like to reiterate my point again - what do you think of Sydney AFL ratings featuring their own team? Feel free to compare it with the Perth NRL ratings with two outside teams with little/no presence in Western Australia.

You're kidding right?

Nope, live on Fox Sports as well, but without ads. So anyone with pay TV would obviously be watching Fox. And, as it turns out, it doesn't include HD viewers. I wonder whether it includes all 3 of 7's SD channels as well.

If you're not, i'd like to reiterate my point again - what do you think of Sydney AFL ratings featuring their own team? Feel free to compare it with the Perth NRL ratings with two outside teams with little/no presence in Western Australia.

Generally, the ratings are reasonable - anything around 120k is OK. But I simply doubt the 70k figure being realistic. Most AFL games rate higher than that in Sydney that don't involve the Swans.

As a rugby troll, it's in your interests to believe this as well, because the NRL has been absolutely reamed in the national ratings so far this year by the AFL.

Both of those ratings are are abominable.

Yet one of them has a team that has played in that city for over 20 years.

What about a comparison between that Perth number against a game in Sydney not including the Swans.

Nope, live on Fox Sports as well, but without ads. So anyone with pay TV would obviously be watching Fox. And, as it turns out, it doesn't include HD viewers. I wonder whether it includes all 3 of 7's SD channels as well.

Generally, the ratings are reasonable - anything around 120k is OK. But I simply doubt the 70k figure being realistic. Most AFL games rate higher than that in Sydney that don't involve the Swans.

You're grasping at straws here to account for what are terrible numbers.

As a rugby troll, it's in your interests to believe this as well, because the NRL has been absolutely reamed in the national ratings so far this year by the AFL.

I suppose anyone that doesn't agree with you is a "rugby troll", but the reality is Swan's ratings in Sydney are absolutely terrible, Perth's NRL ratings are by no means any good, but that doesn't stop you from spouting rubbish as perhaps the most one-eyed AFL supporter there is.

Perth's NRL ratings are by no means any good.

No , they're absolutely terrible .
If you're going to make comparisons then firstly you'll have to admit that .
The figure of 25k is the best they've ever had up against what ?
Absolutely nothing else on TV at that time on a Sunday afternoon .
And the Swans bouncedown was when ? midday .
Nobody should be watching TV then on such a beautiful day outside .

Again you can't get decent crowds so you have to cling to ratings .

News flash ! Ratings aren't real .
They're an interpolation of a narrow static sample .
They are not randomn , dynamic or proper cross section .
Remember Channel & recorded ratings of 50k for a blank screen !!!
Your best rating is half the viewers of a blank screen .
Or , more viewers wanted to watch a blank screen than the nrl

:D

You're grasping at straws here to account for what are terrible numbers.

Just stating fact. You don't think the game live and uninterrupted on Pay TV, for example, would have an effect on FTA TV audiences for exactly the same program?

I suppose anyone that doesn't agree with you is a "rugby troll", but the reality is Swan's ratings in Sydney are absolutely terrible, Perth's NRL ratings are by no means any good, but that doesn't stop you from spouting rubbish as perhaps the most one-eyed AFL supporter there is.

Rubbish? Are you seriously denying that the NRL's TV audience is well behind the AFL's so far this year?

No , they're absolutely terrible .
If you're going to make comparisons then firstly you'll have to admit that .
The figure of 25k is the best they've ever had up against what ?
Absolutely nothing else on TV at that time on a Sunday afternoon .
And the Swans bouncedown was when ? midday .
Nobody should be watching TV then on such a beautiful day outside .

Again you can't get decent crowds so you have to cling to ratings .

News flash ! Ratings aren't real .
They're an interpolation of a narrow static sample .
They are not randomn , dynamic or proper cross section .
Remember Channel & recorded ratings of 50k for a blank screen !!!
Your best rating is half the viewers of a blank screen .
Or , more viewers wanted to watch a blank screen than the nrl

8,323, makes the 25,000 RL got in Perth look pretty good considering they don't have a team.

Now that's pathetic any way you look at it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion Aussie Rules Footy - Atmosphere at its best

Remove this Banner Ad

Back