Club Legend
Oct 25, 2005
Downunder
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
MUFC
How to Expand a football code

1. Have the team that finished last and 2nd last in 2007 play in front of 73,000 spectators and also have the game live on FTA :thumbsu:

This is why Aussie rules will expand and cement its number 1 status in any state in any area
Its the greatest unique game, rubber stamped made in Australia :thumbsu:

Was this great game shown live to the masses in the #1 and #3 Tv markets?

If not, why, considering it was not a Friday night (no NRL) and it is a non-ratings period.

You mention that it was played live against the gate. Isn't every game in Melbourne live on the box like the NRL is in NSW and QLD?

If not, why, considering it was not a Friday night (no NRL) and it is a non-ratings period.

You mention that it was played live against the gate. Isn't every game in Melbourne live on the box like the NRL is in NSW and QLD?

It was live on FOX into NSW and ACT. Best $37.95 I have ever spent. At least FOX know what the masses in NSW want anyway:thumbsu:

Now that is impressive. The two bottom teams bring out 73,000 and live on channel 10 :eek:

Lets see, NRL got 182,000 to 8 games in round 1

AFL have 104,000 in 2 games, 6 to go...

Envy ;)

It will be a monopoly when NSW and QLD come to the party...just cant stop the greatest game in Oz :thumbsu:

Now that is impressive. The two bottom teams bring out 73,000 and live on channel 10 :eek:

Lets see, NRL got 182,000 to 8 games in round 1

AFL have 104,000 in 2 games, 6 to go...

Envy ;)

It will be a monopoly when NSW and QLD come to the party...just cant stop the greatest game in Oz :thumbsu:

You summed it up perfectly.

Hooray for the great Australian game!:thumbsu:

Yes - live on Fox
... You mention that it was played live against the gate. Isn't every game in Melbourne live on the box like the NRL is in NSW and QLD?
Sometimes, sometimes not - depends on when and where its played. The point of the thread was that the two bottom sides of 2007 (and neither expected to be that much better this year), attracted that 73,000 crowd, despite the unfriendly start time clashing with peak hours traffic and no extra train services put on, dodgy showery weather, all making it far more tempting to just watch it live on TV - yet the masses somwhow beat the gridlocked traffic, the over-jammed trains and still showed up in their tens of thousands to watch our game. This is the sort of culture a certain imported English code doesn't have here.

Remember - it was last years 15th v 16th, 6.10 pm start, traffic nightmare, poor weather, live on TV, but the crowd - 72,552 .

The point of the thread was that the two bottom sides of 2007 (and neither expected to be that much better this year), attracted that 73,000 crowd, despite the unfriendly start time clashing with peak hours traffic and no extra train services put on, dodgy showery weather, all making it far more tempting to just watch it live on TV - yet the masses somwhow beat the gridlocked traffic, the over-jammed trains and still showed up in their tens of thousands to watch our game. This is the sort of culture a certain imported English code doesn't have here.
Fair point. The culture of AFL in Melbourne is unique in world sport let alone Australian sport.

72,000 for 2 bottom sides live on TV

Just another grey hair for every RL fan and plenty more to come. GC and WS to step up expansion plans in next few months will hit hit even harder than massive crowds for AFL. Don't mind us A-league and NRL we're in another world, have fun fighting for scraps over the next 10 years.

Considering Carlton finished last in 2002, 2005, 2006 and Richmond in 2004, 2007

Tell you what, the game must be great, their supporters just can't get enough :thumbsu:

This is not earth shattering news, I remember being at a Collingwood v Richmond game in 1983 with over 81,000. The same weekend the top crowd in Sydney was 25,000.

Round 3 in 1973 saw 183,000 attend in the then VFL, whilst the RL drew 60,000 in Sydney.

So what's changed??????????????????

That game drew a TV audience of 32,000 in Brisbane and wasn't even shown in Sydney.

But it's OUR national game, and Sydney OUR biggest city? It was the start of the season, don't they care?:confused: You'd think they were interested in something else?:confused:

Come on AFL don't you have a spare $100 milion to get these people watching because they are not doing it by CHOICE!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the reason it drew such a huge crowd was because of Chris Judd, and because of the fact that it was the first game of the year that one could go to in Melbourne, wity the next game being 2 days later.

That game drew a TV audience of 32,000 in Brisbane and wasn't even shown in Sydney. !

That was the overall average for the late night replay that finished in the early hours of Good Friday.

But you somehow omitted the number that watched it live on Foxtel.

... it's OUR national game,...

YES - At least you got that right!!

That was the overall average for the late night replay that finished in the early hours of Good Friday.

If it rated it would have een in prime time wouldn't it. Reflects it's popularity;)
But you somehow omitted the number that watched it live on Foxtel

Sorry, a bit like Oztam omittng regional viewers.

YES - At least you got that right!!

Yeah I know, shame half the country doesn't:p

I think the reason it drew such a huge crowd was because of Chris Judd, and because of the fact that it was the first game of the year that one could go to in Melbourne

But you forgot to mention the negatives like the weather and traffic
which would have reduced the total .

with the next game being 2 days later.

A game on Good Friday probably would've added to the overall hype .

:)

This is not earth shattering news, I remember being at a Collingwood v Richmond game in 1983 with over 81,000. The same weekend the top crowd in Sydney was 25,000.

...So what's changed??????????????????

1983 - played 2.00 pm Saturday afternoon. No shops open back then, so few traffic problems, and no live TV - just a replay on the black'n'white tellie that night

AND Collingwood had played in 3 of the last 4 Grand Finals (one against Richmond), and Richmond were the reigning premiers! Along with Carlton, they were both super-heavyweights back then.

Now - Carlton have been rubbish for 6 years, and Richmond for 26 years, game started 6.10 pm Thursday in the middle of peak time, causing traffic and public transport chaos, it was windy and showery, but it still got 74,550.
So - to repeat (as this thread started) - it was 15th v 16
That is - last v 2nd last
bottom v second bottom
Crap v garbage
That's what had changed - but still got 74,550.
Do you get the point of this thread now?

Fair point from AuckMel though. The St Kilda v Sydney game was close, but apart from that, it was a shocker - with blame attached to both coaches. Still looked to be another very big crowd though, with another near full house expected tomorrow.

New season, fresh hopes. everyone is on nil points unless I'm mistaken? aditional big clubs. Carlton supporters are expecting alot. Game payed at 6pm timed just right for city workers to go to match and make a night of it.

I think you mised my point, that being AFLVFL has ALWAYS drawn bigger crowds than RL as my examples of snapshots from 1973 and 1983 prove.

AFL still draws bigger crowds than league so nothing has changed.

Get the point;)

No other code will threaten the dominance of football in Melbourne. Any match with traditional big team like Carlton, Richmond, Essendon etc. will always draw big crowds.

I also think that this is the same in Adelaide and Perth.

However when we are talking of new frontiers like in Western Sydney or Gold Coast it may be not such an easy conquest.

I think all supporters of their respective codes believe that because they see their code as the 'best game in the world' people will see the light, ditch the code that they grew up with and follow a new one. It's not that simple.

In Brissy we had both Thursday night games at 10.30. Ch7 had their two comedy shows and the movie The Transporter before the Port v Cats. Ch 10 had the Simpsons, Law and Order, and Medium before the Blues v Tigers. Crowds in footy home states are great and healthy, but still a lot of work to be done up in QLD yet. But to be honest having both games on at 10.30 was much better than what it would have been 10 years ago when they would have been replayed at around midnight.

This weeks crowd attendance at AFL games

Carlton vs. Rich - 72,552
Port vs. Geelong - 28,202
Coll'wood vs. Frem - 45,383
St Kilda vs. Sydney - 36,614
West Coast vs. Brisbane - 39,591
W Bulldogs vs. Adelaide - 24,835
Hawthorn vs. Melbourne - 40,141
Nth Melb vs. Essendon - 48,100

Total 335,418

Avg approx 42,000

On another note it was posted somwhere that RL attendance was 102,000 or avg of 12,750 :eek:

Tell me that can't be true??? They are suburban crowds...:rolleyes:

Oh thats right, you get a better atmosphere at home, RL is a tv game :eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion Aussie Rules Footy - Atmosphere at its best

Remove this Banner Ad

Back